Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Yes I've noticed the same thing with my 2018 CRV. The windshield always seems cloudy - defrost does seem to clear it up a bit but I feel I shouldn't have to drive around with my defrost constantly on. I haven't cleaned the inside of my windshield because I'm afraid it may make matters worse. I have a couple of friends that have CRVs and are having the same problem. Could this be a factory issue?

Sorry I'm new to this whole posting on a forum thing lol and just noticed this thread is from 2015. Is anyone experiencing an issue with a cloudy windshield more recently? Thanks
As noted earlier in the thread a few years back.... this is out-gasing of materials inside the cabin over time.

The best approach to dealing with this is also described earlier in the thread as well.

The one thing I did not see earlier in the thread (might have just missed it) was a major culprit in the out-gasing is the driver and passengers. As humans enter a warm cabin.. they immediately begin to perspire which provides a range of airborne chemicals that can and will coat the windshield too. Not to mention perfumes, skin lotions, etc... all boiling off at very low temperatures and sticking to the everything.

Personally, having had this issue with cars for many years now, I learned that weekly cleaning with a good window cleaner (one that does not streak) is the best preventative. Note: my CRV is out of the sun most of the time... so results will vary on this. Any way....doing so helps insure it never gets to an annoying level.... and a pain to clean really well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
With both my Accord (now sold) and my wife's CRV, we have issues with the interior side of the windshield developing some sort of film. Furthermore, glass cleaner doesn't really seem to help.

For best results, I have had to use a dry towel to rub out the problem areas. But, it keeps coming back.

Has anyone else had the same issue in their Hondas and found a good solution.
Yes I have this issue with my 2014 Honda CRV. It makes seeing at night almost impossible. I brought this issue up at my dealership shortly after I bought the car and the response I got was Yes, we know. I am about at the point where I am going to demand a new windshield.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
What are we going to do when all the newspapers go out of business?
Microfiber towels are the answer here. Back in 2017 I started using Invisible Glass and microfiber towels and my windows have never been cleaner. The first time I do the windows inside, I'll clean them two or three times with Invisible Glass. After that if I'm doing a cleaning once a month, a single use of Invisible Glass keeps them clean. The microfiber doesn't shed like cotton, and doesn't smear like paper towels. The IG is cheap here as well--usually $3-ish per can. I use it indoors as well.

I tried using a tablet like you suggested, but found it a little hard to cram into the curved areas of the windshield...

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Microfiber towels are the answer here. Back in 2017 I started using Invisible Glass and microfiber towels and my windows have never been cleaner. The first time I do the windows inside, I'll clean them two or three times with Invisible Glass. After that if I'm doing a cleaning once a month, a single use of Invisible Glass keeps them clean. The microfiber doesn't shed like cotton, and doesn't smear like paper towels. The IG is cheap here as well--usually $3-ish per can. I use it indoors as well.
One refinement to add to this...

There are two kinds of microfiber cloth... microfiber, and ultra-fine microfiber. Micro-fiber is low lint but not lint free, and it also will cause streaking on some types of glass residue. Ultra-fine microfiber on the other hand is completely lint free and will buff out any streaks left on your glass.... as long as you wipe the glass down with a damp regular microfiber cloth first.

Damp wipe down with a microfiber cloth, followed by a wipe and buff to dry with an ultra-fine microfiber cloth does result in a superior result, particularly with interior glass. I do an initial cleaning with a regulat microfiber cloth and Invisible Glass, followed by a damp water wipe with a regular microfiber cloth, and then finish up with a dry wipe and buff with an ultra-fine microfiber cloth.

You can buy the ultra-fine microfiber cloths on Amazon... many suppliers, and there is a supplier that sells a kit of both types for a very reasonable price on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KAJ42GO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
2 Posts
One refinement to add to this...

There are two kinds of microfiber cloth... microfiber, and ultra-fine microfiber. Micro-fiber is low lint but not lint free, and it also will cause streaking on some types of glass residue. Ultra-fine microfiber on the other hand is completely lint free and will buff out any streaks left on your glass.... as long as you wipe the glass down with a damp regular microfiber cloth first.

Damp wipe down with a microfiber cloth, followed by a wipe and buff to dry with an ultra-fine microfiber cloth does result in a superior result, particularly with interior glass. I do an initial cleaning with a regulat microfiber cloth and Invisible Glass, followed by a damp water wipe with a regular microfiber cloth, and then finish up with a dry wipe and buff with an ultra-fine microfiber cloth.

You can buy the ultra-fine microfiber cloths on Amazon... many suppliers, and there is a supplier that sells a kit of both types for a very reasonable price on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KAJ42GO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thank you for making us aware of this product and method for window cleaning!

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
(y)

Yeah... I have one of these, particualrly for getting back into the inside of the steep angled rear windows that are common on sedans now days. Otherwise the contortions you have to go through just to hand clean is a nightmare, and you end up getting hand and arm marks all over your window as fast as you wipe it clean.

Makes cleaning the inside of windshield a lot easier too. I had my wife make me some ultra-microfiber covers for it for the final buff and streak removal as well.. since I have not seen them actually made and sold by anyone.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Quickest way to clean off-gassed VOCs that I have found is to clean with a Mr. Clean magic eraser sponge. That will remove the VOCs, then go back over it with regular glass cleaner then a microfiber.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Quickest way to clean off-gassed VOCs that I have found is to clean with a Mr. Clean magic eraser sponge. That will remove the VOCs, then go back over it with regular glass cleaner then a microfiber.
Excellent idea! :)

I will have to give that a try next time I clean the inside windows.

I use those magic cleans all over the house because they do such an outstanding job of cleaning without scratching.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts