Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my CR-V EX last night, and on the drive home noticed a distortion in the middle of windshield....right where I look when I'm driving. You might say it's like a warble or wave in the glass. It's actually bothers my eyes while driving. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm hoping I got a random defective windshield and that it's not intentionally design this way.

·
Registered
140 Posts
It has to be a defect. There is no distortion in mine.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Do not see any distortion- can you post an image if possible so we can see if this is same in all but just not noticing it?

·
Registered
47 Posts
"When I look through the side of the windshield on my car, it's all wavy and distorted. Is this normal?
This distortion is called "cross-car distortion." You will notice it when you're watching a vehicle cross in front of your car and also when you're turning left and looking through the right side of the windshield at other vehicles. Front-seat passengers see the same distortion when they look through the left side of the windshield. Since cross-car distortion occurs when you look through the glass at an angle, it may be even more noticeable for short drivers. Wearing nonprescription sunglasses, which tend to reduce depth perception, also may increase the perceived distortion.
Some cross-car distortion exists in the windshields of Honda vehicles manufactured since 1994. In fact, all of these recent Honda windshields have this distortion to some degree, and the condition should be considered normal. Because the aerodynamic windshield of recent Hondas is at more of an angle than in the past, the cross-car distortion may be slightly more noticeable, even though the jump distortion is at the same low level as before. These windshields meet all applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards for glazing materials, and this minor distortion is allowable within the industry specifications for automotive glass."

http://owners.honda.com/help/faqs

·
Registered
6 Posts
Looking straight out in front of you there should be no distortion, looking out the window at an angle there will be some distortion, the more of an angle the more distortion there will be.
If it's distorted looking more or less straight ahead then it's a bad windshield or there was a scratch in the glass and someone tried to polish it out.
Cheers
Doug

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't get it to show up in a picture well. But here's a way to see if your windshield is the same as mine. Sit in your car while stopped. Look at something straight in front of you ...maybe 10 or 20 yards away. Now move your head up and down. When I do that, the object I'm looking at seems to wave or warble. If you're able to test that out I'd love to know if you see the same thing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"When I look through the side of the windshield on my car, it's all wavy and distorted. Is this normal?
This distortion is called "cross-car distortion." You will notice it when you're watching a vehicle cross in front of your car and also when you're turning left and looking through the right side of the windshield at other vehicles. Front-seat passengers see the same distortion when they look through the left side of the windshield. Since cross-car distortion occurs when you look through the glass at an angle, it may be even more noticeable for short drivers. Wearing nonprescription sunglasses, which tend to reduce depth perception, also may increase the perceived distortion.
Some cross-car distortion exists in the windshields of Honda vehicles manufactured since 1994. In fact, all of these recent Honda windshields have this distortion to some degree, and the condition should be considered normal. Because the aerodynamic windshield of recent Hondas is at more of an angle than in the past, the cross-car distortion may be slightly more noticeable, even though the jump distortion is at the same low level as before. These windshields meet all applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards for glazing materials, and this minor distortion is allowable within the industry specifications for automotive glass."

http://owners.honda.com/help/faqs
Thanks for posting this. I think my distortion is different than this. Nothing looks weird when something crosses left or right...it's cars/objects straight in front of me. My eyes are straining to focus on cars in front of me. And now I've gotten headaches after driving just 15-20 minutes each time. Will be going back to the dealership tomorrow. Really hope this is not just how the windshields are made. But if none of you are noticing anything I really think I have a defective one. Hopefully the dealership will replace mine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's some closure on my windshield issue. Took the car to the dealership today to show them the problem. Both the sales manager and the service manager saw the problem right away. The salesman said he'd never seen anything like it. The dealership said they'd take care of it, ordered a new windshield right away, and gave me a loaner until it comes in. YAY! Hopefully I'll be enjoying my new car soon...without eye strain or headaches!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Here's some closure on my windshield issue. Took the car to the dealership today to show them the problem. Both the sales manager and the service manager saw the problem right away. The salesman said he'd never seen anything like it. The dealership said they'd take care of it, ordered a new windshield right away, and gave me a loaner until it comes in. YAY! Hopefully I'll be enjoying my new car soon...without eye strain or headaches!
Glad they did the right thing. You will enjoy it once fixed.

·
Registered
275 Posts
It's too bad they didn't catch it up front before delivery, but it's good that they're taking care of it properly and taking care of you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was wondering if this would show up in the forum. Mine has it too, it's like looking through cheap sunglasses that warp at the edges, if I move my head up and down vertically. Looking at the current-gen Civic forums, this seems to be a problem some recent Hondas have. What I saw is that some people have had 1 or even 2 new windshields put in, but there is no guarantee that the new one will be any better, and then you've lost the factory windshield seal (if that makes a difference).

So I just try not to think about it. I've gotten more used to it, now I maybe notice it once a day driving around.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Picked up my CR-V EX last night, and on the drive home noticed a distortion in the middle of windshield....right where I look when I'm driving. You might say it's like a warble or wave in the glass. It's actually bothers my eyes while driving. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm hoping I got a random defective windshield and that it's not intentionally design this way.
Yes, I have the exact same problem. I call it a slight "lens effect" but yes a distortion. Annoying on a brand new vehicle...

I'll probably just leave it because once you break the factory seal its never quite the same again.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'll probably just leave it because once you break the factory seal its never quite the same again.
Have them fix/replace it. The idea of a "factory seal" for the windshield "never being the same" is no longer accurate. In the past, chassis didn't have the rigidity and close tolerances (made possible via automation) that todays vehicles have. A windshield is just a piece of formed safety glass, and the manufacturers don't make their own. I've had tons of windshields replaced on vehicles. Assuming you have a reputable service provider there is not the slightest reason why the seal would be in the slightest degree different than a vehicle directly off the production line. Glass quality, adhesive quality, installation process, and the supporting chassis are leaps and bounds superior to back when it was even possible for their to be an issue.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yes, I have the exact same problem. I call it a slight "lens effect" but yes a distortion. Annoying on a brand new vehicle...

Again, there is no distortion on mine so I would take it back and have it replaced. At the very least this is a manufacturing defect and could be a potential safety issue. If it is widespread Honda will eventually have to do something.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts