Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently had a windshield replaced by safelite. I noticed when I got the car back, both the driver side and passenger side plastic molding is separated about a quarter inch from the new windshield. I can't remember if it was like this prior to my windshield replacement. I was wondering if I should say something to the shop. Thanks.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,154 Posts
You should. That molding is easily damaged but an experienced shop like Safelite should know better than to give you the V back with improperly installed moldings.

This video shows the pitfalls (the Element trim attaches in the same manner as the CR-V) at 2:42

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,554 Posts

Those are two videos of the damaged molding. Do you think the glue just didn't hold?
I watched the Safelite tech replace my windshield. Great tech and he did a great job too.

It is amazing how flimsy everything looks when it's all pulled apart and the glass is pulled.
And I now understand why all the black finish is applied around all four edges of the windshield.. because with the glass pulled off.. the CRV literally looks like "junker" at a local salvage yard. :p

Those pieces are not glued, not even from the factory. They simply slide and lock back in place. This is true for the bottom trim between the hood and windshield, as well as the corner trim and the trim bars that rise vertically from the bottom along the left and right sides of the windshield. I'm not even sure that the top trim across the top of the windshield is glued either (I did not see the tech put that piece back in) ... but that piece does get destroyed when they pull the glass so they install a new piece.

From your video.. it looks to me like either the tech did not re-seat the trim correctly (especially the bottom trim between hood and windshield) ... OR.. he mangled them taking them out to begin with. They are fairly flimsy though flexible plastic pieces. All of my trim pieces are firmly seated and the only one that exhibits any play when pressed upon is the corner pieces, and even that is only a very small movement.

If it were me, I would make Safelite fix it.

By the way.. be sure and do a complete water test on the new glass, and make sure you do not have any leaks. If the tech applied the proper amount of adhesive and applied it correctly, and you did not immediately drive the vehicle or remove the temporary holding tape until the next day ... the seal should be good... but until you give it a good dousing with water and check.. you never know for sure. Safelite warrants it to be leak free..... so if it leaks make them fix it. Check and make sure your wipers work correctly as well.. because one owner here at the forum had one of their wiper blade assemblies incorrectly reinstalled and he had to have them come back and fix it.

(y) (y) on the tennis ball parking indicator. :) Takes all the guess work out of garage parking.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts