Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just went to Safelite to get a price on a new windshield on a 2017 CR-V with the following options:

Is your vehicle equipped with a Lane Departure Warning System that alerts you if you cross into a different lane without using your turn signal? >>>> YES

Is your vehicle equipped with rain-sensing wipers that turn on automatically if it begins to rain or do they automatically change speed based upon the amount of moisture on your windshield? >>>> NO

Does your windshield have a wiper park de-icer that heats up to melt snow and ice buildup to prevent the wiper blades from freezing to the glass? >>>> NO

The price comes out to be $808.95 (not including "tax, disposal fees or additional service options"). This seems pretty obscene for a windshield, especially considering it's not a dealership. A 2017 rav4 was $518.95 which I still consider excessive and a 2017 forester was $355 which is around what I expected. Why is there such a huge price differential between these windshields? For each one I selected that there was a lane departure system (and for the rav4 they had an option for forward collision alert for which I selected YES).

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
The RAV4 and Forester you priced out are '17's, but they are not new designs, so they've been around long enough for aftermarket glass to exist. I expect there simply isn't any aftermarket glass for the '17 CR-V yet, so the glass place has to pay dealer prices for new windshields.

But really, it doesn't matter that much; what you pay will simply be some amount between $0 and your Comprehensive insurance deductible, usually $100.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Plus... they have to use oem windshield, because it has camera in it, incase they put aftermarket, the features of Camara might not work. I am pretty sure I read this on Accord forum. So do some research before you buy.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Plus... they have to use oem windshield, because it has camera in it, incase they put aftermarket, the features of Camara might not work. I am pretty sure I read this on Accord forum. So do some research before you buy.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
You need a windshield designed to accommodate the camera, but it does not have to be an OEM windshield. (Pilkington is both the manufacturer of the OEM windshield and one of the larger makers of replacement glass.)

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I worked in insurance claims for 31+ years and found that there was little logic in windshield pricing. One glass company was sometimes double the price of another on the same windshield and half of another on others. The OEM and aftermarket prices were the same way and you had to check on each one to find out. In the 80s, some of the Japanese OEM windshields were far cheaper than aftermarket windshields, depending on the specifications (tint color, etc).

I have a high deductible on my comprehensive insurance and I had to have a windshield replaced on my 2011 Kia Optima summer before last. The shop that had always been the cheapest was double the price I got from Safelite. However, even Safelite made a mess of things. I called them four times and got four different prices. I took the cheapest price and made an appointment. While I was there, I asked the people at the glass shop about it. They said all pricing calls were done centrally and they had the same problem that they couldn't explain.

·
Registered
653 Posts
It seems that the cost of replacement / repairs on new vehicles has risen much higher than the cost of the vehicle itself. Those 18 inch tires are nice, but they're going to cost a lot more to replace than the 16" on my 2007 CRV. Electronic components seem more prone to replacement -- not repair (unless it's a software update). Doesn't surprise me that replacing the windshield is so expensive with the integrated electronics. (Anyone remember when electric rear window defrosters upped the cost to replace those windows?)

Just my uneducated, non-mechanical assessment here. If any of you have any input, I certainly welcome a more informed opinion on this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just had my windshield replaced - my insurer confirmed there are no non-OEM windshields available, so we had to order from Honda. Glass was priced at just over $1000.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got my windshield replaced yesterday (OEM) through Safelite. Total cost was $1,225.49. Parts - $744.32, Labor = $401.00 (included $250 for calibrating the camera), and $80.17 for sales tax.

·
Registered
14 Posts
On a road trip in December my '17 Civic windshield caught a rock and cracked. A glass shop recommended by
the local Honda dealer quoted $860 to replace with OEM Honda glass. Unfortunately I have $1000 deductible on
my insurance... :-(

I asked for the OEM glass... call me paranoid but I'm just leery of a third party windshield on a touring
model with the cameras, etc.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Are you sure your ded. on comprehensive is $1000? Many times that ded. is much less esp for a windshield repl. If it is then get with your agent and check how much the prem would be to lower that ded. Comp. coverage is pretty cheap.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I got my windshield replaced yesterday (OEM) through Safelite. Total cost was $1,225.49. Parts - $744.32, Labor = $401.00 (included $250 for calibrating the camera), and $80.17 for sales tax.
That's a lot of money. Here in AZ, we are lucky when it comes to auto glass. The law requires auto glass be replaced under the comprehensive part of auto insurance with no charge to the vehicle owner. I had to have the windshield replaced on my former Ford Explorer and it cost me nothing. It is a nice law to have:

https://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?format=normal&inDoc=/ars/20/00264.htm&Title=20&DocType=ARS

I looked at my The Hartford auto insurance (got it through AARP's program years ago) and the coverage is included at no extra charge.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
That's a lot of money. Here in AZ, we are lucky when it comes to auto glass. The law requires auto glass be replaced under the comprehensive part of auto insurance with no charge to the vehicle owner. I had to have the windshield replaced on my former Ford Explorer and it cost me nothing. It is a nice law to have:

https://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?format=normal&inDoc=/ars/20/00264.htm&Title=20&DocType=ARS

I looked at my The Hartford auto insurance (got it through AARP's program years ago) and the coverage is included at no extra charge.
Actually, in AZ the law requires the insurance companies to OFFER that coverage. Most insurance agents will include it in quotes, but not all. My daughter found that out the hard way. Progressive DID NOT include it on her policy and she had to pay a deductible. She added that coverage after the fact it was about $15.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Are you sure your ded. on comprehensive is $1000? Many times that ded. is much less esp for a windshield repl. If it is then get with your agent and check how much the prem would be to lower that ded. Comp. coverage is pretty cheap.
Yep. I went round and round with the insurance co about this... no special glass breakage coverage (my bad I guess)... comprehensive is 1K deductible.
I was surprised... I expected a lower deductible for glass breakage. Good news is that I changed insurance companies... now I have $250 deductible, and
glass breakage is covered. Bad news is I can't in good conscience file a claim with the new insurance for an event that happened prior to my
new policy. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Also terrible experience with stones cracking windshield.
2017 CRV is 10 months old and I am about to have the 4th windshield installed. Only 18000 km and driving is only on paved roads/highways.
Even bought/installed a bug/stone deflector after 1st replacement.
This must be a design flaw as all stone hits were on lower portion of windshield at wiper blade level
Insur. deductible in Ont/Canada is $500 on each replacement and only OEM available at this time.
Using reputable installation company.
I am at the point where I am thinking this is wrong car
Is this a problem others are having.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I went through 7 windshields in my '03 Element in 54,000 miles.

My Ridgeline lost it's first windshield at 60,000 miles and is now on it's fourth (126,000).

Replaced one windshield on our '16 Pilot at 10,000...

Sometimes it's just 'luck' rather than a design flaw...

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Even bought/installed a bug/stone deflector after 1st replacement.
This must be a design flaw as all stone hits were on lower portion of windshield at wiper blade level
The 2014 I own now is my 3rd CR-V. They were a 1999, 2006, and now the 2014.
Between the three I've driven them close to 250,000 miles, and have about 34,000 miles on my 2014.

The 2006, which I bought used in 2009 and the 2014 were strictly road and highway driven.
I was a bit more adventuresome with the 1999, and took it on several trips down unimproved and dirt roads, and even a snow covered logging road with a group of other 1st Gen owners.
None of my CR-Vs experienced any damage to the windshield.

I'm sorry you're having such bad luck with your CR-V's windshield, but there's no design defect IMO.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I had my FIRST windshield replaced last week since I have been driving since 1975....yea that long. For 36 of those years I drove a company car that I put between 30-40K miles on each year not to mention visiting all 50 states and 9 Canadian provinces in my own car.

I paid my $100 deductible and did NOT need to have the cameras recalibrated. A stone hit passenger side about 6" from the top at the edge of the glass. This better not starting a trend!

1 - 20 of 64 Posts