Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I invite you all to move to SC. State Law requires no deductible on windshield replacement, theoretically to ensure people don't drive around with broken windshields.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Also terrible experience with stones cracking windshield.
2017 CRV is 10 months old and I am about to have the 4th windshield installed. Only 18000 km and driving is only on paved roads/highways.
Even bought/installed a bug/stone deflector after 1st replacement.
This must be a design flaw as all stone hits were on lower portion of windshield at wiper blade level
Insur. deductible in Ont/Canada is $500 on each replacement and only OEM available at this time.
Using reputable installation company.
I am at the point where I am thinking this is wrong car
Is this a problem others are having.
I can't believe you've replaced it 4 times! Mine just cracked the other day in the same lower portion as you by the windshield right down to the bottom moulding and 9" up! It showed up over night and I'm trying to prolong replacing it. Only 19000km, I wasn't expecting to replace the windshield already. Maybe it is a bad batch of glass! I'm in Ontario as well with a $500 deductible, have not gotten a quote yet.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
You will also have to take it back to dealer to have the camera re-aligned after every windshield replacement.
I know this is an old post, but I wanted to comment for anyone who reads this thread later on.

You do NOT necessarily have to have the camera recalibrated. The replacement windshield should come with the fittings on the inside surface to hold the camera assembly, mirror, and rain sensor... and since they are installed on the windshield at the factory, they should be an exact fit and match for the original windshield.

Why do I bother adding this comment? Because you will very likely find yourself in a finger pointing exercise between the windshield installer and your dealer and your insurance company over this. So, first... check and confirm the working status of your camera and the systems that it drives BEFORE going to your dealer for a recalibration. I just went though this exercise and I found that all my safety systems continued to work correctly after the windshield was replaced.

In my case, I had Safelite replace my windshield, and as a liability avoidance measure they tell you in writing that you "may" need your camera recalibrated. For some cars, it probably is a must do, but for a recent model CRV.. if the windshield is installed correctly and is the correct part number AND.. AND the repair person did not unplug your camera, there should be no need to recalibrate the camera. By the way.. dealers quote 3 hours and $300 to do this recalibration.

How to you test and verify? Take your car out on a 10-15 minute drive on the freeway and check to see that Lane Departure works normally, then test Adaptive Cruise Control and Lane Keeping Assist and confirm that they too are working normally. If so.. then you are good to go and no need to get caught up in a circular firing squad between the dealer, the windshield installer (if it was not the dealer), and your insurance company. I did this and found absolutely no difference in operation of any of the safety systems post replacement. Naturally if your test finds issues, then yeah.. you have to visit the dealer.. and best to discuss it with your insurance company first and get them to agree to reimburse you for the calibration service.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I invite you all to move to SC. State Law requires no deductible on windshield replacement, theoretically to ensure people don't drive around with broken windshields.
same in Florida.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
I got my windshield replaced yesterday (OEM) through Safelite. Total cost was $1,225.49. Parts - $744.32, Labor = $401.00 (included $250 for calibrating the camera), and $80.17 for sales tax.
A year later then you.. but I too just had mine replaced at Safelite. They did a great job.

By the way.. I don't buy in to the must have OEM glass now days. It was true a decade ago in my view, but no longer. Why do I say that? Because the car manufacturers all outsource their glass to a handful of big firms that do their OEM glass, and in almost every case these same firms product after market windows for automobiles on the exact same lines with the exact same specs now days. In my case, Safelite relaced my Pilkington OEM windshield with a FuYao aftermarket. Note: all the other windows on my 2017 CRV are OEM FuYao pieces (manufactured in their Ohio Facility, DOT code 1038), only the OEM windshield was Pilkington. And honestly the FuYao replacement is a better piece of glass (less distortion and a bit higher transparency). I also did not need recalibration of my camera either for the FuYao as it was dimensionally equivalent right down to the mounting assembly for the camera, mirror, and rain sensor.

For those who do not know, FuYao is now one of the major OEM suppliers to car manufacturers and ship to US factories from their Ohio facility (which now produces 5 million car windows per year. They run both their OEM and aftermarket glass on exactly the same process and factory lines, using the same specifications.

Note: The total cost for my replacement windshield was $291 for the glass, $30 for the kit fittings, $148 labor, $30 tax.

I used to insist on OEM glass, but now days I simply do not see the point and certainly do not see haggling with the insurance company to get OEM rather then aftermarket. The supply chains of the major glass producers are exactly the same, so as long as you stick with Plinkington, FuYao, AGC, PGW.... aftermarket glass is fine as you will only be missing your car companies logo.

·
Registered
828 Posts
By the way.. I don't buy in to the must have OEM glass now days. .
A fool and his money will soon be parted...

My local Honda shop has had reported multiple 'generic' glass installs that had to be redone with OEM as the sensing package would not function properly.

It's a know FACT that OEM glass is required for proper functioning of the sensor package.

It's even in the Owners Manual, not that you read those types of books...

·
Registered
17 Posts
By the way.. I don't buy in to the must have OEM glass now days. .
A fool and his money will soon be parted...

My local Honda shop has had reported multiple 'generic' glass installs that had to be redone with OEM as the sensing package would not function properly.

It's a know FACT that OEM glass is required for proper functioning of the sensor package.

It's even in the Owners Manual, not that you read those types of books...
Only know fact is dealer will tell you anything to bring your business to them.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
While this statement is a bit of a stretch, it is apparently something that some people believe.

However, it doesn't take a Honda dealership to properly install an OEM windshield....in fact, in most cases, if one takes their CR-V to a Honda dealership for a windshield replacement, the dealer sublets the job to a local glass shop like Safelite. On newer vehicles, it is quite a skill that is required to do this properly, and I doubt new car dealerships get enough windshield replacements to have a specifically trained tech to do it.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
My opinion? Get it recalibrated.

You paid to have a safe car with advanced systems; Now you're gonna quibble over the function of the system to save $300 while getting the windshield replaced?

https://www.repairerdrivennews.com/2018/06/21/honda-incorrect-glass-grilles-might-compromise-adas/
Your car, your choice for sure.

My comments were simply to inform other owners that while some read Honda guidance as "must" with OEM glass, if you read Honda's official position statement it very clearly says "may" NOT "must". By the way.. Safelite says exactly the same thing about "may need recalibration" too. When a company says "may" rather than "must" or "mandatory", or "required" what they are actually doing is covering their backsides on possible liability issues.

If I had front bumper damage and had to have it repaired.. I am 100% certain that the millimeter radar emitter/receiver would need recalibration. On the other hand, if you actually look at how the front camera assembly is installed and configured for a recent model Honda, you can clearly see that both the windshield assembly (it is an assembly in this case because the suppliers bond the mounting brackets for camera, mirror, and rains sensor to the back of the windshield at the factory (where they have precise assembly control and quality checks. You can even see the alignment guides in the windshield for this inside bracket which demonstrates that they are installing this via automation (not by some hack in a window repair shop). Knowing this, my comments were specific about actually test driving your car after a windshield replacement to insure that ACC, LDW, and LKAS are working normally after the replacement. If they are, you could of course go get recalibration anyway if you like.. but it is really a waste of time and money. On the other hand if you find abnormalities in any of these three systems during a test drive, then you definitely need to have the dealer do a recalibration. Personally, if my safety systems pass my test drive without issue, I'm not going to spend half a day at the dealer and hundreds of dollars (even though the insurance will reimburse me).

Of course other people can and will feel differently.. which is why it is best to be informed of all sides and considerations here rather then just suck up the dealer-speak.

Note: I'm not saying simply disregard such guidance, but rather make an informed and intelligent evaluation and make choices accordingly. When aftermarket glass is supplied by the same vendor that produces OEM glass for Honda, and said aftermarket glass is produced on exactly the same product line and to the same specs, it seems prudent to be a bit more open minded in making a decision rather then letting the dealer pull you around by the nose. All the glass in my 2017 CRV, save for the front windshield, was in fact sourced by FuYao to Honda as OEM glass. If you do any research on FuYao at all you would find that they are now producing for a range of manufacturers and in fact for US factories they source directly from their Ohio facility for both OEM and aftermarket glass. They even source to Landrover, Audi, and Bentley.

I am not saying just let a repair service throw any old windshield on your car, but rather make sure they are using a source that is a known supplier to the car makers directly. When I see Pilkington, FuYao, AGC, PGW as the supply source for a windshield, I have not issues if it is aftermarket. Now, if it is some source I never heard of before and it is not clear said source actually supplies directly to the car manufacturers, then I would definitely not allow them to install an unknown brand like that. My 2017 CRV windows were all sourced by Pilkington and FuYao US facilities. My 2018 Honda windows were all sourced by AGC and PGW US facilities. Which is why I am more open to aftermarket glass from a trusted source these days (ie: OEMs to the manufacturers as well as aftermarket) then I would have been a decade ago. A lot has changed in the glass sourcing supply chain over the last decade.. and the reputable glass companies have literally driven most of the secondary suppliers out of the market for the most part. Even Safelite, who used to source some of their own glass from their own subsidiary has been driven out of the glass sourcing market in recent years. Complexity of design, precision requirements, and quality requirements these days are driving all the supply chains for autoparts to move more and more OEM equivalent in their production.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
While this statement is a bit of a stretch, it is apparently something that some people believe.

However, it doesn't take a Honda dealership to properly install an OEM windshield....in fact, in most cases, if one takes their CR-V to a Honda dealership for a windshield replacement, the dealer sublets the job to a local glass shop like Safelite. On newer vehicles, it is quite a skill that is required to do this properly, and I doubt new car dealerships get enough windshield replacements to have a specifically trained tech to do it.
Yep. I checked with my dealer first thing as I was evaluating how to get my windshield replaced and if I should haggle with my insurance for a dealer sourced effort in parts and labot. What I found was both dealers close to me outsource their windshield replacements to the local Safelite shop. So that left me with just deciding if I wanted to press for OEM glass or go with aftermarket. After I confirmed with Safelite that they would be putting a windshield in from FuYao from their DOT 1038 factory (which is FuYaos US facility) it made it an easy decision for me. I do know that if I pressed for OEM glass, my insurance would make me cover the difference in part price, so it was worth a few minutes of my time to actually check and verify my options.

All that said.... CRV owners are passionate about their vehicles and many people are passionate about only using OEM parts. I used to insist on OEM glass, but I am no longer locked in to that position. Other people may feel differently and that is fine. But I do feel all viewpoints and reasons for them can and should be shared here for future readers benefit in making their own assessments.

With respect to recalibration of the front facing camera, my test drive confirmed it was on track with no abnormal reactions during ACC, LKAS, and LDW. So I assessed recalibration would be a waste of my time and money. Others, may feel differently and want the peace of mind of having the dealer perform recalibration. My concern is that from reading internet comments, it appears that some dealers are not good at performing it (needing several tries to be successful) and love to blame the glass if they have any difficulties. In particular, lighting conditions in the calibrated room appear to be a major cause of issues, and some dealers may just not have everything set up well for a calibration. Honda and any glass installer of any scale like the Safelites of the world absolutely need to alert the customer that there may be an issue with the camera after a glass changeout, as they would be liable if they did not. But making a liability mitigating statement by a company =/= mandatory. And if you read Honda carefully, they say "may" on "some models" yada yada. Now, If my testing did show issues, I would go to the dealer as there is no way I would allow a 3rd party to do this kind of work. I'm not even sure 3rd parties would agree to recalibrate as they take liability if they did.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Yep. I checked with my dealer first thing as I was evaluating how to get my windshield replaced and if I should haggle with my insurance for a dealer sourced effort in parts and labot. What I found was both dealers close to me outsource their windshield replacements to the local Safelite shop. So that left me with just deciding if I wanted to press for OEM glass or go with aftermarket. After I confirmed with Safelite that they would be putting a windshield in from FuYao from their DOT 1038 factory (which is FuYaos US facility) it made it an easy decision for me. I do know that if I pressed for OEM glass, my insurance would make me cover the difference in part price, so it was worth a few minutes of my time to actually check and verify my options.

All that said.... CRV owners are passionate about their vehicles and many people are passionate about only using OEM parts. I used to insist on OEM glass, but I am no longer locked in to that position. Other people may feel differently and that is fine. But I do feel all viewpoints and reasons for them can and should be shared here for future readers benefit in making their own assessments.
I had absolutely no issue with Geico Ins. when I asked to have an OEM glass installed. They didn't even pause or hesitate. No additional cost to me. It may be that the glass made by the sources you state are the exact same as OEM, just lacking the Honda logo, but if the Ins. co. will install the OEM glass without question, then that is what I would refer...especially on a nearly new car. Now, if it was going to cost me ~$300 out of pocket, than perhaps I would have to re-evaluate...

I appreciate all the effort you went through to find the information that you have posted here for other's benefit.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I can't believe you guys are getting so worked up about the sensors.

It does not matter.

I've had my 2019 for 2000km now and I've probably removed the lkas camera 3 times now. I've probably un plugged it 10 or more times.

The system is super basic and does not require recalibration everytime you swap a connector or remove the camera.

If the camera base is installed on the windshield like it is in every other factory crv window, there will not be a issue.

On a second note, I haven't replaced the windshield yet. But would not be impressed with a over $1000 bill.

I'm use to paying around 350 for a windshield, is what I'm hearing correct? Basically if you go oem it would be $1000 plus? But a 3rd party would be more around $350?

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
I had absolutely no issue with Geico Ins. when I asked to have an OEM glass installed. They didn't even pause or hesitate. No additional cost to me.
Yeah, I think this is something that varies by state since each state writes their own laws and consumer protections/mandates for insurance providers. I seem to recall Arizona is really consumer friendly in this regard, right? You don't even get dinged for any deductible on your comprehensive?

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
I can't believe you guys are getting so worked up about the sensors.

It does not matter.

I've had my 2019 for 2000km now and I've probably removed the lkas camera 3 times now. I've probably un plugged it 10 or more times.

The system is super basic and does not require recalibration everytime you swap a connector or remove the camera.

If the camera base is installed on the windshield like it is in every other factory crv window, there will not be a issue.

On a second note, I haven't replaced the windshield yet. But would not be impressed with a over $1000 bill.

I'm use to paying around 350 for a windshield, is what I'm hearing correct? Basically if you go oem it would be $1000 plus? But a 3rd party would be more around $350?
Yeah... ~$1000 vs $500 in my case when I evaluated my choices.

Just out of curiosity... why exactly would you be pulling your camera and/or unplugging it? Intellectual curiosity? :)

I do agree with you that the camera functions and what it supports, as well as where and how it is installed is pretty basic. We are not talking about a Tesla that has features to be semi-autonomous and uses multiple cameras. The only caution I have heard is to not unplug the camera during a glass changeout... but your shared info here indicates even that is not an issue. I do know that when my glass was changed, the service tech from Safelite left the camera, mirror, and rain sensor all connected and just let them dangle as he did the window swap.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yeah... ~$1000 vs $500 in my case when I evaluated my choices.

Just out of curiosity... why exactly would you be pulling your camera and/or unplugging it? Intellectual curiosity? :)

I do agree with you that the camera functions and what it supports, as well as where and how it is installed is pretty basic. We are not talking about a Tesla that has features to be semi-autonomous and uses multiple cameras. The only caution I have heard is to not unplug the camera during a glass changeout... but your shared info here indicates even that is not an issue. I do know that when my glass was changed, the service tech from Safelite left the camera, mirror, and rain sensor all connected and just let them dangle as he did the window swap.
I've installed comma. Ai's system in my crv. As well as I did in my 2016 civic.

It interrupts the connection between the vehicle and the camera, and you end up using a 3rd party camera to improve the system.

So the adapter I interrupt the stock camera with is able to switch back from stock to the 3rd party. And I can even make this switch while driving down the highway (not recommended) but none of the systems have errors, and everything works fine.

But as for any I disconnect so often and what it is just due to going to the dealership for work or repairs. I remove all my 3rd party stuff because I don't know the legality of it all.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Dude - it's actually IN the Owners Manual!

Feel free to ignore it and while YOU are at it, change your oil at 30,000 miles! Why change your oil at 3,000, 5,000 or when the MM tells you to? And it's just stupid to use synthetic oil when regular oil has been around for years - the Dealerships are just trying to gouge you!

Think of all the money you will save! You can get a room at a Motel 6 in Branson, MO and hang with your 'homies!'

As I pointed out in my previous post:

"It's even in the Owners Manual, not that you read those types of books..."

We do not need to be further convinced of you rather poor opinions.

Some of us actually LIKE our CR-V's and, imagine the horror, actually LIKE our dealerships. Having a honest, fair and decent relationship with a dealer is a valuable, long term, asset.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I just went to Safelite to get a price on a new windshield on a 2017 CR-V with the following options:

Is your vehicle equipped with a Lane Departure Warning System that alerts you if you cross into a different lane without using your turn signal? >>>> YES

Is your vehicle equipped with rain-sensing wipers that turn on automatically if it begins to rain or do they automatically change speed based upon the amount of moisture on your windshield? >>>> NO

Does your windshield have a wiper park de-icer that heats up to melt snow and ice buildup to prevent the wiper blades from freezing to the glass? >>>> NO

The price comes out to be $808.95 (not including "tax, disposal fees or additional service options"). This seems pretty obscene for a windshield, especially considering it's not a dealership. A 2017 rav4 was $518.95 which I still consider excessive and a 2017 forester was $355 which is around what I expected. Why is there such a huge price differential between these windshields? For each one I selected that there was a lane departure system (and for the rav4 they had an option for forward collision alert for which I selected YES).
Went to Safelite for windshield repair for my 2018 Avalon Hybrid Limited a few months back. Originally quoted around $600. A couple hours later they called back and said with all the features you mentioned above, O.E windshield required. $1150! Wasn't going to get insurance Co involved with first estimate. Not the case with the second. Every one be careful in construction zones as warm weather construction zones ramp up.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I don't have a newer CR-V (just a couple of '09s) and I need the windshield replaced. My big thing is that it look the same as OEM. The last (and only) time my '97's windshield was replaced, it came with that fugly blue tint across the top. Felt like I was driving some crappy GM, like all the ones my dad used to own. If the replacement has the black "screening" behind the rearview mirror, that is what I'm hoping the replacement has.

Sadly, with this being Michigan, we will have to pay the deductible, plus our insurance rates will be jacked up for years from it. We're still paying for the Acura that drowned in a flood five years ago, even after we switched insurance companies. Our rates are the highest in the country, thanks to the insurance execs having their hands in the pockets of the state politicians. One of a few major reasons we're moving away in a few years.

However, it doesn't take a Honda dealership to properly install an OEM windshield....in fact, in most cases, if one takes their CR-V to a Honda dealership for a windshield replacement, the dealer sublets the job to a local glass shop like Safelite.
Same here, and they have always done this. I had a new car in early summer of 1985, and by December, someone had already broken into it (the side window). The dealer had Safelite come in with a mobile truck to replace it.

Every one be careful in construction zones as warm weather construction zones ramp up.
And avoid Michigan. Recent study showed that in southeast Michigan, only 18.9% of our roads are considered to be in "good" condition, 40.3% in fair condition, 40.8% in poor condition. This is why my '09's windshield has to be replaced--crumbling roads mean there are stones flying all over the place on the highways, and I got clipped by several on a recent drive to Ohio, one of them cracking it.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2018/03/13/michigan-roads-construction-potholes-fixing-roads/400229002/

21 - 40 of 64 Posts