Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Also terrible experience with stones cracking windshield.
2017 CRV is 10 months old and I am about to have the 4th windshield installed. Only 18000 km and driving is only on paved roads/highways.
Even bought/installed a bug/stone deflector after 1st replacement.
This must be a design flaw as all stone hits were on lower portion of windshield at wiper blade level
Insur. deductible in Ont/Canada is $500 on each replacement and only OEM available at this time.
Using reputable installation company.
I am at the point where I am thinking this is wrong car
Is this a problem others are having.
how can it be a design flow when you confirmed that stones are hitting your windshield? They are made of glass and glass do break when hit by big enough stones. Please avoid following construction equipments/trucks/dirty pickups that keeps dropping debris/stones.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
how can it be a design flow when you confirmed that stones are hitting your windshield? They are made of glass and glass do break when hit by big enough stones. Please avoid following construction equipments/trucks/dirty pickups that keeps dropping debris/stones.
Just guessing .. but I think the implication here is that they "don't make windshields like they used to".... ie: they damage more easily then in the old days when they take a pebble strike. :)

When mine was recently replaced I was amazed at how thin the windshields are (both the one they pulled and the replacement). Granted it has been a good number of years since I had one replaced on one of my vehicles, but I seem to recall them being thicker.

My guess ---> to save some weight on the vehicles total weight budget. But it begs the question of how they are making them thinner and still meeting mandatory safety standards? We need a glass engineer to answer that one. If, for example, you visit the AGC website, they have a splash page that talks about them producing thinner glass, to save weight, while still meeting all safety standards.

Apparently Corning is now moving into the automobile industry with their Gorilla Glass too on some select brands and models. While that stuff is optically superior and very strong, I just don't know how well it holds up to impacts... and one can only guess at how expensive it is.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Just guessing .. but I think the implication here is that they "don't make windshields like they used to".... ie: they damage more easily then in the old days when they take a pebble strike. :)
same all all the metal vehicle replaces w/plastic these days. have to replace the plastic versus pounding out the metal. c'est la vie!

·
Registered
52 Posts
2017 CR-V EX-L with Navigation. June 2019 I had a cracked (not badly) windshield & was going to replace it through Safelite without insurance when I got a new inspection sticker. The crack was near the edge & had gone all the way to the edge so, it could not be repaired. I have HONDA SENSING safety features but not rain sensing wipers or wiper park deicer.

Initial quote: less than $500 out the door. I told them all of the safety features I had. That price was OK. A day before the replacement I received a phone call saying that because the safety features in the box on the windshield behind the mirror had to be recalibrated the new price was about $1500. That price was not OK. In my area of Houston, the 4th largest city in the US, there was only one shop that had the necessary recalibration equipment and Safelite is a major glass replacer used by many insurance companies.

Windshield not replaced. If the crack gets to be a problem I will talk to the insurance company and see what their price is. I like the Honda Sensing safety features but I question the need for a $1000 safety equipment recalibration when the windshield is replaced.

·
Registered
828 Posts
2017 CR-V EX-L with Navigation. June 2019 I had a cracked (not badly) windshield & was going to replace it through Safelite without insurance when I got a new inspection sticker. The crack was near the edge & had gone all the way to the edge so, it could not be repaired. I have HONDA SENSING safety features but not rain sensing wipers or wiper park deicer.

Initial quote: less than $500 out the door. I told them all of the safety features I had. That price was OK. A day before the replacement I received a phone call saying that because the safety features in the box on the windshield behind the mirror had to be recalibrated the new price was about $1500. That price was not OK. In my area of Houston, the 4th largest city in the US, there was only one shop that had the necessary recalibration equipment and Safelite is a major glass replacer used by many insurance companies.

Windshield not replaced. If the crack gets to be a problem I will talk to the insurance company and see what their price is. I like the Honda Sensing safety features but I question the need for a $1000 safety equipment recalibration when the windshield is replaced.
I've paid out $1,250 ea. for two different windshields.

It's the going rate if you want your vehicle to function properly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know this is an old post, but I wanted to comment for anyone who reads this thread later on.

You do NOT necessarily have to have the camera recalibrated. The replacement windshield should come with the fittings on the inside surface to hold the camera assembly, mirror, and rain sensor... and since they are installed on the windshield at the factory, they should be an exact fit and match for the original windshield.

Why do I bother adding this comment? Because you will very likely find yourself in a finger pointing exercise between the windshield installer and your dealer and your insurance company over this. So, first... check and confirm the working status of your camera and the systems that it drives BEFORE going to your dealer for a recalibration. I just went though this exercise and I found that all my safety systems continued to work correctly after the windshield was replaced.

In my case, I had Safelite replace my windshield, and as a liability avoidance measure they tell you in writing that you "may" need your camera recalibrated. For some cars, it probably is a must do, but for a recent model CRV.. if the windshield is installed correctly and is the correct part number AND.. AND the repair person did not unplug your camera, there should be no need to recalibrate the camera. By the way.. dealers quote 3 hours and $300 to do this recalibration.

How to you test and verify? Take your car out on a 10-15 minute drive on the freeway and check to see that Lane Departure works normally, then test Adaptive Cruise Control and Lane Keeping Assist and confirm that they too are working normally. If so.. then you are good to go and no need to get caught up in a circular firing squad between the dealer, the windshield installer (if it was not the dealer), and your insurance company. I did this and found absolutely no difference in operation of any of the safety systems post replacement. Naturally if your test finds issues, then yeah.. you have to visit the dealer.. and best to discuss it with your insurance company first and get them to agree to reimburse you for the calibration service.
I just recently bought a 2020 CR-V LX and am curious about this subject in terms of what the final salesman (finance) was trying to convince me of something on this very topic. The dealership sells warranties just for the purpose of windshield replacement for the Honda Sense systems which is $600 for 6yrs. Not concerned about the pricing, but rather what he was trying to tell me... He insisted first that you must have a Honda authorized mechanic replace the windshield with OEM glass and have them recalibrate the camera system or Honda WILL VOID YOUR ENTIRE 3YR/36000 WARRANTY. I find this an outlandish claim and most likely a pressure/scare tactic to buy their insurance. Can any of you confirm or refute this claim? I will be calling Honda Customer Care to verify... Thanks

·
Registered
2017 CRV EX AWD
826 Posts
I just recently bought a 2020 CR-V LX and am curious about this subject in terms of what the final salesman (finance) was trying to convince me of something on this very topic. The dealership sells warranties just for the purpose of windshield replacement for the Honda Sense systems which is $600 for 6yrs. Not concerned about the pricing, but rather what he was trying to tell me... He insisted first that you must have a Honda authorized mechanic replace the windshield with OEM glass and have them recalibrate the camera system or Honda WILL VOID YOUR ENTIRE 3YR/36000 WARRANTY. I find this an outlandish claim and most likely a pressure/scare tactic to buy their insurance. Can any of you confirm or refute this claim? I will be calling Honda Customer Care to verify... Thanks
it will not void your entire warranty lol

some states like ny have $0 deductible on glass, others have glass deductible on insurance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
it will not void your entire warranty lol

some states like ny have $0 deductible on glass, others have glass deductible on insurance.
Ya, this crook was pretty insistent. I asked, so you're saying my radio system or my air conditioning warranty is void even if it's not related to the camera / windshield reinstall? He said yes, over and over. My wife told me after it appeared I really got under his skin and he was getting pissed. I didn't buy it or his story. I'm definitely reporting his butt to Honda... Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
2017 CRV EX AWD
826 Posts
Ya, this crook was pretty insistent. I asked, so you're saying my radio system or my air conditioning warranty is void even if it's not related to the camera / windshield reinstall? He said yes, over and over. My wife told me after it appeared I really got under his skin and he was getting pissed. I didn't buy it or his story. I'm definitely reporting his butt to Honda... Thanks for the reply!
yea all the finance guys are snakes
I tell them all i dont want anything n to not try to sell my anything. I come in to buy my cars preapproved for loans from bank of america n they lose their minds becUse its less commision for them.

I’m 40 and have bought new cars since right out of hs in 1998.
14 honda/acuras, so i’ll gladly walk at any point! Salesman aren’t your buddies!

·
Registered
3 Posts
yea all the finance guys are snakes
I tell them all i dont want anything n to not try to sell my anything. I come in to buy my cars preapproved for loans from bank of america n they lose their minds becUse its less commision for them.

I’m 40 and have bought new cars since right out of hs in 1998.
14 honda/acuras, so i’ll gladly walk at any point! Salesman aren’t your buddies!
Yep. They get mad when you tell them you can get an extended warranty straight from another Honda dealer in another state. I had no intent on getting one, but just to test the waters with this guy, I asked if he could match the price and he claimed it's way below cost, no way. My response was, it was just a question of how bad he wanted to get me that ext warranty, and apparently not bad enough. I'm sure the two online dealers aren't losing money... It was fun... I'm not getting the warranty but just wanted to use it to help me get out of his office quicker. Still took about an hour with all the signing of documents saying I'm declining all coverages (another pressure/ scare tactic)

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Not only an outlandish claim, but completely false. Not something offered by Honda either, so I'm sure it was some sleezy 3rd party policy. Honda, which generally is the place to go for any needed recalibration... may.. may balk at aftermarket glass and blame it IF they have issues recalibrating the camera, but in reality since the glass comes off the same exact production lines now days.. even this is a stretch.

Besides.. I'm not sure why anyone with auto insurance that has comprehensive to cover things like glass replacements would spend money with Honda for a glass protection warranty. I bet if you were to read the fine print.. it is a one time only replacement policy too.

I would have reported the dealers shady behavior here to Honda corporate.

Even at my very transparent and reputable Honda dealer where I buy my Hondas, it has been hit and miss with their finance staff. One person, honest and easy to deal with. Next person.. a slithering snake. The owner of the dealership though is extremely customer focused, and when I reached out to him about my slithering snake experience, he not only told be that what I was told in the sale was inaccurate, he also said he would personally follow-up with said snake and make sure to keep him in his cage. Last time I was at the dealer.. the slithering snake finance guy was no longer employed there. :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
In NY its free from INS which is great, since we moved to nj i think its $100 deductible via ins.
On glass
You pay extra for comprehensive insurance with full glass coverage in NY. I have 1000 comprehensive but have full glass coverage. You will see a WG next to your deductable amount. My Saturn VUE had 2 windshields at no cost to me and done at my home. All handled by State Farm via a 24 hour a day service that took 5 minutes and set up the appointment.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just bought a 2018 EX-L and the maintenance records show it had a windshield replacement July of 2019. Before purchase I had the dealer fix a 1/4" stone ding in this replacement windshield. The previous owner must have had some bad luck with windshield damage. I hope I don't repeat that luck. In KS, I would have to pay whatever my deductible on comprehensive is to replace the windshield. We recently lowered our comprehensive deductible for just such an eventuality.

·
Registered
110 Posts
You might have a high deductible under your comprehensive insurance but don't dismiss the issue yet. Double check your policy. A lot of insurance companies will waive your deductible for glass coverage.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Done. No such luck. Hoping I never have to replace windshield.
The actual coverage offered is often constrained by state insurance law... and not always for the benefit of the consumer...... OR the type of insurance you have signed up for.

In California, my auto insurance policy (which includes comprehensive, not just liability and collision) if my windshield is repairable.. no deductible. If it has to be replaced, $50 deductible.

Get better insurance, or live with it. :)

·
Registered
2017 CRV EX AWD
826 Posts
You pay extra for comprehensive insurance with full glass coverage in NY. I have 1000 comprehensive but have full glass coverage. You will see a WG next to your deductable amount. My Saturn VUE had 2 windshields at no cost to me and done at my home. All handled by State Farm via a 24 hour a day service that took 5 minutes and set up the appointment.
It was free with my geico plan when i lived there for 17yrs
Filed 3 claims through it also

·
Registered
216 Posts
My windshield had a nick which was obviously going to turn into a huge crack right across.
Went to autozone. Bought the repair kit. Next day i did the repair and hasn't developed a crack and the chip is barely visible.
If you get a nick anywhere, grab yourself a repair kit. Do it yourself in half an hour and it'll be good for a few yrs.

·
Registered
201 Posts
It was free with my geico plan when i lived there for 17yrs
Filed 3 claims through it also
  • Your original post stated it was "free" in NY". With State Farm you have to pay an additional amount for glass coverage with no deductible under your comprehensive policy. The amount is small and worth it. So the fact is it is not "free in ny". Maybe with GEICO it is part of their comprehensive coverage and you don't have an opt out choice to save on premiums.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
  • Your original post stated it was "free" in NY". With State Farm you have to pay an additional amount for glass coverage with no deductible under your comprehensive policy. The amount is small and worth it. So the fact is it is not "free in ny". Maybe with GEICO it is part of their comprehensive coverage and you don't have an opt out choice to save on premiums.

I have Geico as well, and yes it is normally part of their comprehensive coverage in their auto insurance plans.

So the only variable is what deductible did you select for comprehensive coverage.

In addition, unlike some insurance companies that send the owner off to get the windshield service provider and replacement on their own, and then reimburse the owner... Geico handles everything and generally uses Safelite with aftermarket glass. They set up the appointment (at your home, or in the shop, your choice) and they handle all the price negotiations and payment directly. You simply let Safelite have access to your vehicle. The only rub is that if you need recalibration of the camera.. that generally needs to be done at a dealer (most Safelite shops are not equipped for it). I discussed this in advance with Geico, due to some reports of Honda dealers refusing to calibrate a non-OEM windshield. Geico said that if calibration was needed, they would pay for it... AND if the dealer refused to do so with aftermarket glass.. Geico would pay to have it replaced with OEM glass. I got it in writing from Geico before having the glass replaced.. but never needed to recalibrate, because a careful road test after the glass was replaced showed all camera related HondaSensing to be working the same as pre-glass change.

In my experience Geico is extremely customer focused on insurance claims and repairs, and they have never let me down in more than 20 years, nor stuck their thumb in my eye over a claim.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts