Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have Geico as well, and yes it is normally part of their comprehensive coverage in their auto insurance plans.

So the only variable is what deductible did you select for comprehensive coverage.

In addition, unlike some insurance companies that send the owner off to get the windshield service provider and replacement on their own, and then reimburse the owner... Geico handles everything and generally uses Safelite with aftermarket glass. They set up the appointment (at your home, or in the shop, your choice) and they handle all the price negotiations and payment directly. You simply let Safelite have access to your vehicle. The only rub is that if you need recalibration of the camera.. that generally needs to be done at a dealer (most Safelite shops are not equipped for it). I discussed this in advance with Geico, due to some reports of Honda dealers refusing to calibrate a non-OEM windshield. Geico said that if calibration was needed, they would pay for it... AND if the dealer refused to do so with aftermarket glass.. Geico would pay to have it replaced with OEM glass. I got it in writing from Geico before having the glass replaced.. but never needed to recalibrate, because a careful road test after the glass was replaced showed all camera related HondaSensing to be working the same as pre-glass change.

In my experience Geico is extremely customer focused on insurance claims and repairs, and they have never let me down in more than 20 years, nor stuck their thumb in my eye over a claim.
State Farm does the same the same thing. You call and at the time they will offer vendors to replace your glass and even set up an appointment at your home. The process is maybe 10 minutes. They pay the shop directly. It's a vendor that they use when you make a glass claim. GEICO may even use the same vendor.

If you read the posts some people do not have glass coverage which may be due to the customer's choice, state law or not offered by the insurance company. My point is the statement that it is "free in NY" is not true.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts

If you read the posts some people do not have glass coverage which may be due to the customer's choice, state law or not offered by the insurance company. My point is the statement that it is "free in NY" is not true.
It may also be due to the agent that is quoting the policy giving the lowest quite possible to earn the business, or the buyer not knowing what to ask for. My "30 something" daughter fell "victim" to that a few years ago, The added (optional) $0 glass deductible was only something like $10 every 6 months, yet she didn't know enough to ask about it and the agent didn't offer it. (Progressive...don't get me started!)

Now she knows. "Thanks Dad!"

·
Registered
201 Posts
It may also be due to the agent that is quoting the policy giving the lowest quite possible to earn the business, or the buyer not knowing what to ask for. My "30 something" daughter fell "victim" to that a few years ago, The added (optional) $0 glass deductible was only something like $10 every 6 months, yet she didn't know enough to ask about it and the agent didn't offer it. (Progressive...don't get me started!)

It could also be a persons choice. Some people my believe the coverage is not worth it. I took the no deductable glass option and had 2 windshields replaced on my SUV.

Never had to replace a windshield on my car jave in my old SUV
Looks like the longer glass on SUVs is more susceptible to damage.

·
Registered
507 Posts

Thought I had glass breakage coverage on my 2018 Touring when I bought it.
About eight months ago, after reading posts on here about cracked windshields I thought I should make sure I did. I didn't. It cost about $3/mo to add it!

Guess what? Last month my wife was driving and a truck in front of her kicked up a rock and broke the windshield!

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

61 - 64 of 64 Posts