Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 08 crv not that new of a car it has a 15 inch crack. Your thoughts on aftermarket windshield replacement vs oem windshield. I was quotes 165 installed for aftermarket. Any difference for aftermarket vs oem besides honda logo? Thoughts, info thanks

·
Banned
806 Posts
I had mine on my 2012 replaced back in January. Used Safelite and have had zero issues. Have had them change out a few windshields in my life on different vehicles and haven't had an issue. And I'm about as picky as they come, and notice if something isn't right.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
The cost to have that logo will be probably another 200-300 on top of your current quote.

Just dont use Safelite Glass is my only recommendation.
What is the reason you say that? Poor installation or poor glass quality (softer and pits easier or?).
Buffalo4

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
What is the reason you say that? Poor installation or poor glass quality (softer and pits easier or?).
Buffalo4
Oh, where to start and where to end......

Vehicle 1. Years ago back in Minnesota, 1990 Jeep Wrangler. They never did get the new windshield water tight. Took it in close to half a dozen times and they would just put more caulk to try and stop it. The last time they tried, the caulk had no where to go and ended up on the windshield and cowl. Ended up getting a new glass put in someplace else and it never leaked.

Vehicle 2. 1992 Accord 2dr. Called me to say it was done. Then asked if I had any issues with the drivers door when I dropped it off, I said no why. They just said to come on in. Got there. To get in or out of the car you had to now use the passenger side. They buckled in the fender behind the wheel/in front of the door. My guess was the onstaller either when talking out the old or putting in the new braced his knee there denting it in. They denied it but it pay to have it fix. But anyways, 5 minutes after leaving there, no cars around on a city street, 5-6 inch crack that started from under the wiper cowl. Guess what, they didnt cover that though.

Years later and 1,500 miles away from there.

Vehicle 3. 93 Toyota T-100. Replaced the windshield at my house. Vehicle never was driven, next day 6 inch crack started at the bottom under the wiper cowl like before. Again, no joy from them. Had replaced from another place, 3 yrs later its almost still like new.

Vehicle 4. After that, friends 05 RSX-S. Back hatch glass just shattered one day in the heat while we were in a restaurant. He took it to them even though I warned him. USAA insisted he take it there I will say though. Anyways, replaced the glass with their brand of glass. Went to have it tinted and couldnt. The glass so so pitted and felt like sand was in the glass on the inside. Took it back to Safelite, Manager pissed and moaned, 2 days later they decided to order an OEM Acura glass after getting 2 more of their crappy ones. Got the OEM installed, tinted just fine. But they went to put a molding on all the way around it that didnt belong and thought it didnt look right and they then took it off. Left the black sealer crap on the glass all the way around. Didnt put the small top seal on and when asked about it they aaid they could spend any more money on this car as the had to eat some of the cost of the OEM back glass.

My experience comes from 2 different Safelite shops, 1,500 miles apart and many years between incidents. And honestly, that is every experience Ive had with them. Not a single good story to tell.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Thanks, Honda4Life.
I had the one on my '03 Ody replaced a couple of years ago and it was done by SafeLite.
The installer came to the house and did a very nice job of installing it and he was comfortable with me watching and asking questions while he did it. Good guy.
The reason I asked was that it seems the glass is getting very small pits in it quicker than the old windshield did. Could just be because of different debris hitting the windshield.
I thought that perhaps the hardness of the replacement was less than the old windshield.
Overall, it was most likely just more 'sand' type particles hitting the windshield.
No extra wind noise or any leaks at all.
So, overall, I was very satisfied, but I think it is the installer that made it a good job.
Thanks again for your comments.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
No problem. Thanks for reading it all. Sorry about miss spellings or missed used words. I type everything on my phone and always overlook proof reading. Its a cross between small keyboard, big thumbs and stupid auto correct. Lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Windshield Replacement 2017 CRV

This is a true story, long story short, small rock chip that turned in a long crack, call insurance company,
which is Erie, gave me Erie Insurance glass replacement, redirected to Safelite. Set up appointment to
replace windshield at my home, came on time and install a OEM windshield as required to recalibrate
front camera, no complaints so far. Safelite tech printed me out a receipt which showed my 50.00 had
been paid, COST to be billed to Erie 3990.12 !!! List price on windshield $834.80, selling price $2504.40
Labor 300.00, Kit $999.99 ? Plus tax. I call my agent and took the bill by to him, he said there must be
a mistake and he is now handling it.I have had Erie for years and they have always been great, I’m sure Erie
is not going to let this go thru without a fight. I also call a Honda Dealer and checked the price if I just
bought it and it was &756.00 and a few pennies. Don’t know what the outcome will be, but my agent
told me not to worry, they will take care of it. I still have to have the recalibration done, another $198.00
Wish know I would have keep my 2013.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Safelite did a good job on replacement, but they marked the windshield up 300% over
cost, I have insurance thru Erie, Im sure they are going to check into this over charge.
Retail cost at Honda for a 2017 CRV is about $ 750.00 , they charged $2504.00 WOW ?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Had my 2012 replace by Safelite through insurance. Cost me absolutely nothing and they did a great job with a Honda windshield, all in about an hour. Insurance in Arizona and Colorado gives you a windshield every year due to high level of damage with highway driving

1 - 13 of 13 Posts