Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

Windshield Replacement

2029 4
When I had the windshield replaced in my '97 many years ago, the replacement had one of those ugly blue tints on the top few inches to reduce glare. Ugly. Reminds me of an old GM.

Thanks to our Michigan roads, I got hit by another big stone, and now the windshield on my '09 is cracking, already several inches long. Thing is, I really want an exact replacement for this, not some ugly abomination like the last time. The main thing here is that the area around the rearview mirror is "screened" with black dots.

For anyone who has had theirs replaced, how did your replacement look?

I don't even know if I could order one from Honda--last time I had a dealer do a windshield, they called in a mobile repair truck from a local glass company to replace it. (Wasn't a Honda, though.) I would think Honda's glass might be too expensive anyway.

I thought of getting one from a salvage yard, but those may be in worse condition, with existing stone chips or road rash. And then finding a glass shop to install a windshield they didn't provide is going to be difficult around here.

If you want to see how bad our roads are:

https://www.freep.com/story/news/lo...construction-potholes-fixing-roads/400229002/
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
892 Posts
Only newer vehicle I have replaced a windshield in was my '12 Civic. Got Safelite to replace it and I couldn't tell any difference between the two other than the new one didn't have the Honda label on it.

· Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is good to know--I may see what Safelite offers locally. I think the passenger side window is a Safelite, now that I think of it.

· Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I still haven't replaced it yet--the crack is not in my line of sight, yet when I tried polishing it (to get rid of some minor pitting), the crack extended another few inches.

We have a nice local glass shop that replaced the windshield in our Civic at a surprisingly affordable price. But the owner insisted that Hondas came with a blue/green tint at the top and that mine on the Civic had faded over time. Never heard of tint fading, and I've never owned a Honda that had a factory tint on top.

So I may still check with Safelite or, if anyone more recent has had theirs replaced, let me know what it was like. In addition to the crack, there is a lot of pitting from my road trips.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.