Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,

Just to my luck some incompetent carwash people stcratched my windshield perfectly at the center of my line of sight. Of course they are not taking the blame so Iam stuck with a scratched windshied. It is kind of deep but not really. I mean you can feel it with a fingernail. Is there anything that can be done? Replacing the windshield is so much work and money. I also worry about the calibration of the lkas. Any suggestion would be appriciated. Thanks.
Sky Automotive lighting Hood Infrastructure Tree
Water Window Eye Hood Automotive lighting
Water Atmosphere Eye Sky Automotive lighting
Hood Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Vehicle registration plate

·
Registered
2018 CRV Touring AWD
228 Posts
I'm wondering is a windshield replacement company, and there are several, could buff it out with some type of compound made to remove scratches in glass. I'd give them a call and ask -- can't hurt. Good luck to you.

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,075 Posts
I'm wondering is a windshield replacement company, and there are several, could buff it out with some type of compound made to remove scratches in glass. I'd give them a call and ask -- can't hurt. Good luck to you.
Unlikely, as I have inquired about lesser scratches in the past, and was told it was not possible. I am not a windshield repair person, just relaying what I was told.

I had a bunch of gritty sandy mud slung up from a puddle from a vehicle driving in the other direction onto my windshield during a light rain, while my wipers were running, resulting in some minor scratches that could not be felt with a finger nail. It sounded awful! I had the windshield replaced.

·
Premium Member
6,182 Posts
Seek a polisher, detailer at a glass shop and the lamination is damaged not the tempered glass

Reactions: tglenn

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
6,999 Posts
That can definitely be buffed out with the proper polish and equipment. I have seen worse than this buffed out successfully on Youtube videos.

The question is whether to take it to a pro shop to do it, or if you do it yourself. Pros will do a better job as they will use a series of polish compounds, each progressively finer and finer to create a true smooth finish. Do it yourselfers usually use a single grade polishing compound and simply use more time and attention to detail to complete the polishing effort. You may need to search around for a pro that does this in your area, because in many cases these days... shops simply want to replace the glass.. .since it is on your dime, not theirs and is faster and higher profit for them (we more and more live in a disposable mind set in the modern era).

It's not that hard to do, but you need the proper supplies, and time and patience. This is not the kind of job you can rush through. I have removed a 4 inch scrape on glass before, which was worse than what you are showing. Total time though was about 2 hours, at home, in my garage.

If after reviewing some youtube videos on technique and materials, if you do not feel comfortable doing it yourself, get a pro to do it. It can get kind of messy as the very fine polish used creates a slurry on the glass and since you need a rotary buffing pad (either on a hand drill or on a buffing wheel) it is going to slather it around quite a bit, so you want to mask and cover your vehicle hood, roof, etc.

Note: you do not need to get the glass surface completely resmoothed, you just need to polish enough out so that you no longer see the clear and obvious scratch that literally disperses sunlight making it appear deeper than it is.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Accord EX 2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
3,690 Posts
If the carwash won't accept responsibility I would file a complaint with the local BBB, any local municipal authorities, and seriously consider a full-page newspaper ad. :)
You could argue they have compromised the safety of your vehicle.
Know a good lawyer?

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,075 Posts
Unlikely, as I have inquired about lesser scratches in the past, and was told it was not possible. I am not a windshield repair person, just relaying what I was told.

I had a bunch of gritty sandy mud slung up from a puddle from a vehicle driving in the other direction onto my windshield during a light rain, while my wipers were running, resulting in some minor scratches that could not be felt with a finger nail. It sounded awful! I had the windshield replaced.
To add to above... I was trying to remember when this was, what car I had at the time....LOL It was in 1993 or 1994!!!! The comment from the glass shop at the time was that trying to polish the scratches out would slightly distort the surface of the glass, causing the wipers to skip part(s) of the surface creating a safety hazard. I also seem to remember that my scratches were over a larger area of the windshield.

Apparently my insurance company agreed, as they replaced the glass with an OEM windshield at $0 deductible per my glass coverage.

I drive across this low area in the road often and almost always think of this incident. It is where water and sand run across the road when it rains heavily...

Good luck to the OP is getting this resolved.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Just throwing this out there, couldn't you file a claim with your insurance company. Its not really any different then a rock hitting the window. The car wash accidently damaged it. At least call your agent and ask.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Accord EX 2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
3,690 Posts
Just throwing this out there, couldn't you file a claim with your insurance company. Its not really any different then a rock hitting the window. The car wash accidently damaged it. At least call your agent and ask.
Certainly couldn't hurt to ask, would depend on coverage of course.
The problem would be if the carwash denied culpability, and there was no evidence. Lots of people scratch glass changing wiper blades (NOT saying the OP did).

Speaking of rocks, don't you hate those trucks with the signs reading "Not Responsible for Broken Windshields"?
The heck they aren't, it they're throwing rocks. With the proliferation of dashcams more and more of them are getting caught.

Reactions: alexb757

·
Registered
627 Posts
Certainly couldn't hurt to ask, would depend on coverage of course.
The problem would be if the carwash denied culpability, and there was no evidence. Lots of people scratch glass changing wiper blades (NOT saying the OP did).

Speaking of rocks, don't you hate those trucks with the signs reading "Not Responsible for Broken Windshields"?
The heck they aren't, it they're throwing rocks. With the proliferation of dashcams more and more of them are getting caught.
Good point.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I asked my agent and yes i can raplace the windshield from the insurance. But Iam trying to avoid this. Seems like such a waste. All this nano technology and still there is no cure for a scratch. I will try one of those dıy windshield repair kits. Maybe that glass resin could cover it a little bit. They seem to be working on chips.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
That can definitely be buffed out with the proper polish and equipment. I have seen worse than this buffed out successfully on Youtube videos.

The question is whether to take it to a pro shop to do it, or if you do it yourself. Pros will do a better job as they will use a series of polish compounds, each progressively finer and finer to create a true smooth finish. Do it yourselfers usually use a single grade polishing compound and simply use more time and attention to detail to complete the polishing effort. You may need to search around for a pro that does this in your area, because in many cases these days... shops simply want to replace the glass.. .since it is on your dime, not theirs and is faster and higher profit for them (we more and more live in a disposable mind set in the modern era).

It's not that hard to do, but you need the proper supplies, and time and patience. This is not the kind of job you can rush through. I have removed a 4 inch scrape on glass before, which was worse than what you are showing. Total time though was about 2 hours, at home, in my garage.

If after reviewing some youtube videos on technique and materials, if you do not feel comfortable doing it yourself, get a pro to do it. It can get kind of messy as the very fine polish used creates a slurry on the glass and since you need a rotary buffing pad (either on a hand drill or on a buffing wheel) it is going to slather it around quite a bit, so you want to mask and cover your vehicle hood, roof, etc.

Note: you do not need to get the glass surface completely resmoothed, you just need to polish enough out so that you no longer see the clear and obvious scratch that literally disperses sunlight making it appear deeper than it is.
I totally agree. It should be buffable. But doesn’t this involve thinnig the glass a little bit? I don’t think i can do it. I don’t have the tools nor the experience.
Also yes sunlight or headlights at night does make it appear worse than it is. I can not not see it. It is giving me ocd.

·
Premium Member
2018 Honda CRV EX-L
425 Posts
I asked my agent and yes i can raplace the windshield from the insurance. But Iam trying to avoid this. Seems like such a waste. All this nano technology and still there is no cure for a scratch. I will try one of those dıy windshield repair kits. Maybe that glass resin could cover it a little bit. They seem to be working on chips.

I'm having my windshield replaced tomorrow (rock damage). Insurance payment includes calibration. I would just replace it. A new windshield always looks great.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hello everyone,

Just to my luck some incompetent carwash people stcratched my windshield perfectly at the center of my line of sight. Of course they are not taking the blame so Iam stuck with a scratched windshied. It is kind of deep but not really. I mean you can feel it with a fingernail. Is there anything that can be done? Replacing the windshield is so much work and money. I also worry about the calibration of the lkas. Any suggestion would be appriciated. Thanks. View attachment 150524 View attachment 150525 View attachment 150529 View attachment 150531
Are you sure that wasn't from your wiper? anyway glass can be polished. Seek a glass shop but not necesarily an auto specialty shop, the lesser ones just do replacements and know nothing about glass.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hello everyone,

Just to my luck some incompetent carwash people stcratched my windshield perfectly at the center of my line of sight. Of course they are not taking the blame so Iam stuck with a scratched windshied. It is kind of deep but not really. I mean you can feel it with a fingernail. Is there anything that can be done? Replacing the windshield is so much work and money. I also worry about the calibration of the lkas. Any suggestion would be appriciated. Thanks. View attachment 150524 View attachment 150525 View attachment 150529 View attachment 150531
Sorry to hear of your dilemma. I don’t trust car washes because of issues like this. The last time I went to one was back in 1990. Unfortunately, your best bet is to have it replaced. For your safety and the safety of pedestrians and other drivers.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
6,999 Posts
Are you sure that wasn't from your wiper? anyway glass can be polished. Seek a glass shop but not necesarily an auto specialty shop, the lesser ones just do replacements and know nothing about glass.
The arc in the scrape definitely suggests this scratch came from wiper action rather than from a car wash as alleged. If so, it was a piece of grit or dirt stuck between the wiper blade and the glass (which can and does happen).

Of course we are only looking at a photo, so I could be wrong...and ultimately we have to take the owners word as to cause.

That said, if the owner makes a claim on their insurance, they are not going to fool an insurance adjuster if indeed this was from some grit on the wiper blade. Insurance adjusters have literally seen it all, and cannot be fooled by an owner. :) The owner apparently resides in Turkey though, so who knows what insurance claims are like in Turkey.

·
Registered
29 Posts

Most auto insurance policies have full glass replacement coverage with no deductible. In the time it's taken you to write all this out you could have called Safelite auto glass and made an appointment for them to come to you and replace your windshield in your driveway. They will file with your insurance company. Plus factor in the stress that this has given you, just replace it and wash your car yourself so you know the job will be done right.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone,

Check with your car insurance, if you have a replacement glass rider in your policy, they may replace windshield for free, or a windshield company like Safelite has products that can fill in the scratch, to where it blends in, with windshield.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello everyone,

That mark was made by your Windshield Wiper.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts