Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
If the carwash won't accept responsibility I would file a complaint with the local BBB, any local municipal authorities, and seriously consider a full-page newspaper ad. :)
You could argue they have compromised the safety of your vehicle.
Know a good lawyer?
That mark was made by the Windshield Wiper. 200 bucks says I am right.

·
Registered
2020 CR-V EX-L
29 Posts
I learned the hard way not to wash your windshield while wearing a titanium ring. Just saying.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Accord EX 2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
3,715 Posts
I learned the hard way not to wash your windshield while wearing a titanium ring. Just saying.
I always put a towel over the glass before doing anything else.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Sorry guys but there is no way wipers can scratch this deep. Even if there was rubble underneath them. Wipers don’t apply that much pressure. Also the angle of the scratch don’t match with the wipers’

There is also no way I wouldn’t have noticed the scratch before the wash. Let alone a 20 cm long one exactly at the center of my field of view. I am a pyscho about these kinds of details

To make matters more annoying I noticed the scratch when I got in the car after the wash but who would have thought it to be scratch? I though it was a water or a rag mark.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,014 Posts
Sorry guys but there is no way wipers can scratch this deep. Even if there was rubble underneath them. Wipers don’t apply that much pressure. Also the angle of the scratch don’t match with the wipers’

There is also no way I wouldn’t have noticed the scratch before the wash. Let alone a 20 cm long one exactly at the center of my field of view. I am a pyscho about these kinds of details

To make matters more annoying I noticed the scratch when I got in the car after the wash but who would have thought it to be scratch? I though it was a water or a rag mark.
You are there, not us, hence we can only go by observing the photo you shared... so we have to take your word for it.

So.. just to be sure here.. you do not have automatic wipers on your CRV, right? I ask because if you do, and you left your wipers set to auto and then enter a car wash... disaster ensues quickly... but you usually lose a wiper blade assembly as the car wash rips it apart... though it could also just really conflict and mess with your blades and that could cause damage to the glass.

Personally, over my many years, I have seen some really nasty glass scrapes and scratches caused by the wipers and any manner of dirt or grit on the wiper or in the wipers path.

So let me ask you this... if you saw it after you got the car wash done.. why didn't you check it closely and bring it up with the car wash service immediately? THAT would have been the time to do so. I know you said you thought it was just water, or a rag mark, but that does not make any sense as water does not do that on a glass windshield. Water streaks do not run in a linear line like that. I always take a microfiber cloth to my glass after a car wash (they never get all the water drops off of the glass) ... and I would have seen a scratch immediately. Was the car hand washed or hand wiped down after the wash? If so.. maybe the rag(s) used had grit on them.. but I seriously doubt it or you would also very likely have scratches in your paint too.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
You are there, not us, hence we can only go by observing the photo you shared... so we have to take your word for it.

So.. just to be sure here.. you do not have automatic wipers on your CRV, right? I ask because if you do, and you left your wipers set to auto and then enter a car wash... disaster ensues quickly... but you usually lose a wiper blade assembly as the car wash rips it apart... though it could also just really conflict and mess with your blades and that could cause damage to the glass.

Personally, over my many years, I have seen some really nasty glass scrapes and scratches caused by the wipers and any manner of dirt or grit on the wiper or in the wipers path.

So let me ask you this... if you saw it after you got the car wash done.. why didn't you check it closely and bring it up with the car wash service immediately? THAT would have been the time to do so. I know you said you thought it was just water, or a rag mark, but that does not make any sense as water does not do that on a glass windshield. Water streaks do not run in a linear line like that. I always take a microfiber cloth to my glass after a car wash (they never get all the water drops off of the glass) ... and I would have seen a scratch immediately. Was the car hand washed or hand wiped down after the wash? If so.. maybe the rag(s) used had grit on them.. but I seriously doubt it or you would also very likely have scratches in your paint too.
Yes I should have immediately checked it out when I noticed it. That is my fault. But I dont think they would behave differenty. They would still claim it was there before as I have no proof.

Yes the car was hand washed and hand wiped. I think the rags they used had grit on them or maybe the tip of the pressure washer hit the windshield.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
7,548 Posts
Yes the car was hand washed and hand wiped. I think the rags they used had grit on them or maybe the tip of the pressure washer hit the windshield.
This is why I never use automated or hand car washes.

I do it myself to avoid this very sort of thing.

Reactions: Crv21

·
Super Moderator
7,014 Posts
Yes I should have immediately checked it out when I noticed it. That is my fault. But I dont think they would behave differenty. They would still claim it was there before as I have no proof.

(y)

I agree. If they were doing hand wash and wipe down.... this could indeed have been from some debris on the rag and a zealous wiping hand grinding it into the glass.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Last time I had a glass claim called State Farm on a Saturday who then transferred me to another company that made appointments at glass places including Safelite. They made an appointment with Safelight for Monday and the glass was replaced at my house. No problems with Safelite after using them twice. One guy didn't fasten his workstand correctly and dropped the replacement windshield on my garage floor. He went back to the shop and got another.

Only had a windshield problem after I had an accident with a deer. The shop does great bodywork and the paint guy is an artist. But the glass guy who comes to the shop didn't my windshield correctly and it would leak. The owner had him come back and redo the windshield.

·
Registered
5 Gen: EX 1.5T
254 Posts
On the subject of screen damage, I noticed that Halfords offer screen chip repairs for £40

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
7,548 Posts
On the subject of screen damage, I noticed that Halfords offer screen chip repairs for £40
Better to live with the scratch and save the 40 quid....

·
Super Moderator
7,014 Posts
In the US, most insurance cover chip repairs at no charge and no deductible if the owner has the normal comprehensive coverage.

Reason: insurance would rather pay $50-100 to fix a repairable chip rather then have to pay a full claim to replace the glass if the chip progresses to a crack later on (which about 50% apparently do because of constant thermal cycling of the glass between hot and cold due to ambient temperature).

·
Registered
374 Posts
In NY you have to pay a small additional fee for full glass coverage as part of your comprehensive part of your policy.

·
Premium Member
2021 CRV EX-L
484 Posts
In NY you have to pay a small additional fee for full glass coverage as part of your comprehensive part of your policy.
I think that varies by carrier. It is included automatically on my Geico policy.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have State Farm. It is an additional coverage charge. Most agents add it anyways but you do have a choice if you wish.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts