Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone has had an issue with their fourth generation V's washer nozzles freezing? Mine froze yesterday, the temperature was about 20 in eastern PA. The rear washer worked, not the front. A couple of hours in the garage and everything was fine. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3 Posts
similar happened to me. i have a 2013 lx. during a snowstorm last weekend (temps low 20's F) neither front or back worked. i thought i was out of fluid, even though the indicator light never came on. filled up the reservoir with the usual blue stuff and still did not work as i drove for over 1 hour.. eventually started working again after parking for an hour or so. i guess the heat of the engine thawed the lines out.

this has happened 3 times now in the last week. i called the service department at my dealership and spoke to an adviser. he said i was one of many callers about this issue. he suggested using a premium de-icer (from rain-x or prestone) instead of the normal blue stuff. is this a honda design flaw? this is my first honda and i don't recall this ever happening in any previous vehicle i have owned or leased.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Washer problem

My wife and daughter both own 2013 CR-V's. They both suffer from non-working windshield washers in cold weather. We are using -20 labeled fluid that we have been using for years here in New England. We used it in our Honda Pilot for 7 years. I use it in my truck. Funny, it's only the CR-Vs that won't work. This and the lousy high beams are ongoing safety issues with these cars.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone, looks like a better fluid should help... Have not seen this issue for many years. This is my second Honda, had a 2006 Accord, never had the problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Lousy washer design

Today, at about 30 degrees out, the passenger side didn't squirt for a while. I had put -32 degree fluid in. It didn't matter. There had been a snow, rain, and ice storm with a light ice coating in the morning. The Toyota with the -20 stuff worked. I'd have to think something is wrong with the design or placement of the CRV spray nozzles.:(

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had this problem on my old Volvo S60 T5.
I cured it by raising the rear end of the bonnet (hood), by putting spacers between the hinges and the bonnet (hood) itself.
This altered the warm airflow inside the engine compartment, just enough to keep the nozzles thawed. I only raised it by about 5mm and one ore two people said "your bonnet is open" but it did the trick..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am a new Honda CRV owner in NE for 1 month and had this same problem...anytime below freezing my window washers would not work. Stopped into the dealer today and their answer is that it is a design flaw where the tank is next to the passenger tire and freezes. Their 'fix' was to add a couple of capfuls of their Honda washer fluid concentrate (which is pure methanol) to the fluid reservoir. The concentrate is $10.00.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the input folks. Believe it or not, today it was 17 degrees in PA, and the nozzles worked fine! Now, it seems like the defroster does not work to good... As soon as the car hit about 20mph, the windshield froze solid! I turned the fan all the way up, and the temperature control to max, felt like 100 in the car, but the windshield was frozen. I understand it is an extreme temperature, but I never experienced a car that would not keep the windshield from freezing. Have anyone else experienced this? Thanks again!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Our Odyssey and Accord do not have this issue, but the 2013 CRV does and it is dangerous. Using the best -25 fluid available and it still freezes within minutes of running in the cold (which is anything below 32F). The CRV has the fluid tank located under a part of the wheel housing thereby insulating it from the engine heat. The other cars in our household use the same fluid without any such issues.
When you pull the control to squirt the windshield and nothing comes out, you then smear the salt all over and, in sunny conditions, create a white out condition. I wonder if the CRV Owners have to wait till there are a number of accidents before forcing a recall to fix this issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry to bring up this old thread, but I'm having this same issue with my 2010 CR-V. I think I had this issue since last winter. Using Rain-X defroster that can take -20F the nozzles are frozen, even after the engine is hot from running. I checked the reservoir and the fluid is not frozen but I can hear the pump when I pull the control. I called the dealer and they want $114 to "fix" it or pump whatever ice its there. I guess I will have to find a different way since my car is parked in the street and is not going to get warmer any time soon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It does seem to be a common problem with the CR-Vs, so must be a design flaw of some sort. It is absolutely NOT the placement of the tank. The liquid itself is good down to the temp rating stated on the bottle. Note that other cars don't have this problem even when the engine compartment is cold, and my CRV works better in the back than the front nozzles (all comes from the same tank). I suspect that fresh water/snow gets into the nozzle opening and freezes over. I was able to free up one nozzle by holding an antifreeze soaked paper towel over the nozzle for about 30 seconds. That gave me two out three working, the one that counts (drivers side front) was still in-op. I'm going to try getting it working and then covering in over to prevent water intrusion. I'll report back if I get positive results.

·
Registered
428 Posts
It does seem to be a common problem with the CR-Vs, so must be a design flaw of some sort. It is absolutely NOT the placement of the tank. The liquid itself is good down to the temp rating stated on the bottle. Note that other cars don't have this problem even when the engine compartment is cold, and my CRV works better in the back than the front nozzles (all comes from the same tank). I suspect that fresh water/snow gets into the nozzle opening and freezes over. I was able to free up one nozzle by holding an antifreeze soaked paper towel over the nozzle for about 30 seconds. That gave me two out three working, the one that counts (drivers side front) was still in-op. I'm going to try getting it working and then covering in over to prevent water intrusion. I'll report back if I get positive results.
why two exact same posts?

I'm thinking of replacing my stock nozzles to these...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390528152813?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 2010 and this winter the washer froze. Probably because it was zero temperature for days Dealer wanted to change the whole unit at my cost but it's a dangerous design flaw. Dangerous driving and getting sprayed by passing car and not able to see. This is a safety hazard. Works fine fine now it's spring

·
Registered
2 Posts
I noticed that windshield washer does not spray properly on the very early days after I bought 2012 LX… I demonstrated at the dealer’s maintenance shop that spray doesn’t reach top of the windshield but was told that it is factory flaw and they can’t get it better.
In winter the spray is even worse and reaches only 8” to 10” above the nozzles.
Any recommendations?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Recently bad snow/temperatures in uk and I had frozen nozzles even though I have decent washer fluid/ back one seems to be better.

Only one thing I can think of that can help...we cant change the design but can try something like what I did.

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-accessories/engine-oils-and-car-fluids/antifreeze-and-screenwash/concentrate-screenwash/?542771210&0&cc5_701

just not worth using cheap weak stuff as when you really need to clean the screen and its froze, its dangerous.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts