Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We took our 08 V winter camping last weekend to Findley St Park in Northern Ohio. The low ground clearance was an issue since they had around 24-30+ inches of snow on the roads and they were not plowed. Only got stuck once due to clearance issues. Plenty of room inside to take bags, tents and other supplies.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Nice pics you should of taken more.Glad to hear the V did good in that amount of snow.Were you stuck for long?What kind of rubber is on your V?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
We took our 08 V winter camping last weekend to Findley St Park in Northern Ohio. The low ground clearance was an issue since they had around 24-30+ inches of snow on the roads and they were not plowed. Only got stuck once due to clearance issues. Plenty of room inside to take bags, tents and other supplies.

With 24-30" of snow on the roads I doubt ANY vehicle would have made it through. From the side view it looks to be about 5-6" of snow on the campsite. :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We had stomped down / dug out the snow around where we parked. The campsite averaged 18 - 24 inches depending on where the pine trees were.

I was stuck about forty five minutes or so mainly due to the need to dig out where I was going to park. There was about a half inch of ice on the pavement once you dug all the way down which didn't help. I have factory rubber on the V and it is definitely not what I would want if I had to manage snow like this on a regular basis. I started down the road and stopped after I had snow piled up to the top of the bumper. At that point I reversed out and had A buddy of mine with a Tahoe plow through in front. I followed without issue until I tried to navigate outside his tracks. Another friend has an early 2000 V and he had less issues due to the higher ground clearance.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Awesome!

Any other pictures from the trip? I love camping in the winter and camping in general. I've been camping in the winter a few times and it really isn't bad at all as long as you are prepared for the cold! :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's a few more photos. You are correct. If you prepare, then it is great. Layers and staying dry are key. My youngest just turned 10 and it was his first year to go. Needless to say, he is hooked as well. I wouldn't mind heading up a day earlier next year.

·
Registered
713 Posts
How long did you go for?

I have a bag that is rated for -10 and I'll sweat like crazy if it is over 30.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We went up early Friday around 2Pm and stayed until late morning Sunday. My bag is rated for -30. On Saturday night it only dropped to the upper teens and I was a bit uncomfortable, ended up sleeping with the bag open for most of the night. I had a tent heater going which had the interior up to the upper 20's. It usually is enough to fool you into thinking that it is not that cold. I use one of the old Coleman white gas heaters. Leave the top of the tent open and it stays toasty warm. Not a big fan of the new propane models they just get everything wet. People that used them Friday when it got down to -2 woke up with a layer of snow inside. Plus the old ones will run for 18-20 hrs before you have to fill them back up. The new ones on the small bottles last four hours. If it's really cold then you have issues with the propane not turning to gas. Next year I'm going to have to resort to a roof top carrier on the V so I can fit more people inside. I may also look at a used Ridgeline or Pilot to replace my Saturn.

·
Registered
713 Posts
It never really gets cold enough here for me to need to buy a heater, but a warm sleeping bag is a must!

You have two very good replacement vehicles chosen... :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts