Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heavy wet snow in So AZ this morning. Got half a block from the house and all safety features turned off due to obstructed radar. Once in a lifetime is somewhat amusing, but can't imagine putting up with this every year for weeks at a time. You buy a vehicle to take advantage of the safety features, but when conditions are grim they take the day off. Maybe there should be a wiper on the radar plate?

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
3,675 Posts
Or a small electric heating element??

·
Registered
467 Posts
If the radar is getting blocked because of the weather then you should be more attentive in your driving then relying on the aids. Some of these safety aids would be dangerous if they reacted in wet or slippery conditions that’s why you’re supposed to pay extra attention in bad weather and driving conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,782 Posts
Only happened twice in three years. Has to be heavy wet snow.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the radar is getting blocked because of the weather then you should be more attentive in your driving then relying on the aids. Some of these safety aids would be dangerous if they reacted in wet or slippery conditions that’s why you’re supposed to pay extra attention in bad weather and driving conditions.

Ya think? Thanks for the input--you have a keen grasp of the obvious.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Yeah, and what happens when all these autonomous cars are out there driving and the heavy snow start? Do they all shutdown and strand everyone.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Sounds like the government will push for these safety features to be standard in the future, especially pedestrian braking. As we all know, the driver is still ultimately responsible for vehicle control.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Except people are talking about the features and complaining when they don't allow them to play on their phones while driving cause they stop working.

Don't need more stupid features, need to make it so drivers get a felony for negligence due to distracted driving.

All tech is doing is removing responsibility from drivers.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
264 Posts
Yeah, and what happens when all these autonomous cars are out there driving and the heavy snow start? Do they all shutdown and strand everyone.
Worse. Some keep going and hit pedestrians. Some radars gets obscured by different street lighting system which messes up with the autonomous cars resulting in accidents.
Yet they're pushing those to us.

Back to the OP, If a radar is obstructed, then "safety" features will not fail. "Comfort features" will be turned off but you'll still have traction control, ABS, Blind Spot Monitor System, Real-time Power Distribution, etc.

You don't want the car to slam on the brakes when it's snowing when it's sensing you're about to hit a car because the car will just skid over and cause more harm than good.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good point, Chrisss! Not having to drive in the stuff often, hadn't thought about "false positives". I'm not sure I'd consider crash avoidance and RDM "comfort features", but better for them to stand down than get confused and brake unnecessarily, possibly resulting in skids or getting rear ended. These are ASSIST features, after all, not replacements for Mk 1 eyeballs. At least for now!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Good point, Chrisss! Not having to drive in the stuff often, hadn't thought about "false positives". I'm not sure I'd consider crash avoidance and RDM "comfort features", but better for them to stand down than get confused and brake unnecessarily, possibly resulting in skids or getting rear ended. These are ASSIST features, after all, not replacements for Mk 1 eyeballs. At least for now!
I thought it was “obvious” to you.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I just can't see all the whining because automation isn't working. If it is weather related, get over it or move to a warmer climate. Technology is here to stay. It isn't perfect, but it will get better. Look around yourself, technology is making our lives easier, making many live longer, etc. I, for one think it is great. It is an aid, not a replacement for common sense. rant off.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I just can't see all the whining because automation isn't working. If it is weather related, get over it or move to a warmer climate. Technology is here to stay. It isn't perfect, but it will get better. Look around yourself, technology is making our lives easier, making many live longer, etc. I, for one think it is great. It is an aid, not a replacement for common sense. rant off.
Exactly, they are aids not a replacement for common sense and paying attention to your driving. You are responsible for driving the vehicle, the vehicle isn’t.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Heavy wet snow in So AZ this morning. Got half a block from the house and all safety features turned off due to obstructed radar. Once in a lifetime is somewhat amusing, but can't imagine putting up with this every year for weeks at a time. You buy a vehicle to take advantage of the safety features, but when conditions are grim they take the day off. Maybe there should be a wiper on the radar plate?
Yes, that happened to me a few weeks back and the sensors remained blocked for the rest of my 5 hour trip on clear/dry roads - but the ACC wouldn't work. Since then I have learned how to change from ACC to standard cruise control which would have allowed me to use cruise once the roads/weather cleared - even with the sensors blocked.

As an aside - this situation (blocked sensors) is a really serious consideration that will have to be addressed before driverless cars - let alone pilotless Uber air taxis - can ever operate safely and reliably. Imagine being in a driverless or pilotless vehicle and the guidance systems fail because of a little snow/rain! As a pilot I can tell you that pilotless personal transport vehicles are a loooong way off for this and several other big reasons.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Yes, that happened to me a few weeks back and the sensors remained blocked for the rest of my 5 hour trip on clear/dry roads - but the ACC wouldn't work. Since then I have learned how to change from ACC to standard cruise control which would have allowed me to use cruise once the roads/weather cleared - even with the sensors blocked.

As an aside - this situation (blocked sensors) is a really serious consideration that will have to be addressed before driverless cars - let alone pilotless Uber air taxis - can ever operate safely and reliably. Imagine being in a driverless or pilotless vehicle and the guidance systems fail because of a little snow/rain! As a pilot I can tell you that pilotless personal transport vehicles are a loooong way off for this and several other big reasons.
It will be decades before there will be totally driverless vehicles. There’s the issue of snow covering lane markings, weather that can affect radar, and the biggest issue is the fact no computer can predict how stupid other drivers and pedestrians can be. In order to have totally driverless vehicles ALL vehicles will have to be driverless and talk to each other. This removes the stupidity factor with drivers but still leaves pedestrian stupidity and the weather.

·
Registered
177 Posts
...In order to have totally driverless vehicles ALL vehicles will have to be driverless and talk to each other. This removes the stupidity factor with drivers but still leaves pedestrian stupidity and the weather.
I agree with one added point - even if all vehicles were driverless that doesn't eliminate the dangers of system failures. At 65MPH or at anywhere above 100ft (air vehicles) even a small system "hiccup" could be deadly.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Here in the Prescott/Prescott Valley area we did have a bit of snow: 28" officially reported.

Having grown up in northern IL and living there until 2002, I have had lots and lots of experience driving in heavy snows, ice, slush, etc. With the way it can build up on the front of vehicles, my personal opinion is all those current safety features that rely on cameras and radar will be useless and one simply has to resort to good winter driving skills. I remember in high school in the '50s going out to a large parking lot just to practice skidding and steering out of skid. It was fun and it was a good learning experience. I was very familiar with chains and snow tires back then also.

Scariest experience happened many years ago. I had a Mercury Capri (Made by Ford in Europe and sold as a Mercury in the US.) My wife and I were on our way home on a highway in the country at night. There was ice on the road, but it wasn't visible and I didn't realize it was there. I have a habit of watching the headlights of approaching vehicles. One was approaching and I noticed it was drifting into my lane coming right at me. I instinctively turned the steering wheel sharply to the right and they to the left. This took me off the road onto the shoulder in a sideways slide and then back onto the highway. As I was off the road sliding along, the other vehicle was in a spin where I would have been had I stayed on the road. I did not have time to think or see what was on the shoulder. Luckily, there were no signposts, culverts, or other obstructions. I don't think my heart has ever beat as fast as it did then.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts