Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a question on what to do about the exposed wheel bearings when using a steel wheel. I have a 2015 honda CRV EX with 17" alum rims. I just purchased 16" steel wheel rims to use in winter. My question is what do I do with the exposed wheel bearing. There is no Grease/dust cap. I googled this to death and have not found anything useful.

Do I need to worry about leaving the wheel bearing exposed in the winter? My 17" aluminum rims have a center cap on the rim. I am sure it does not keep all the junk out but it keeps some out.

What do I do or should I not worry about it. Any ideas/help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
560 Posts
its not the wheel bearing your looking at. its the nut of the driveshaft. you can paint it with heavy water proof grease. If the wheels you got are from Honda they sell center caps for them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the correction. It is the nut that is exposed. The rims are not from Honda. I never thought about the lack of a dust/grease cap when I bought the rims from tire rack. Just a little nervous about having the nut exposed to the weather and salt.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
If you could also get hubcaps for the steel rims would be also better, the bigger surface area that it covers the better to protect the centre hub nut from rust.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Load them up with thick lithium grease. I live in a snow belt with lots of salt and snow. You can see rust residue coming out of the steel painted rims cap assembly. After just two Winters. If we decide to keep this 2013 V, we will upgrade to alloy rims for Summer and put dedicated Blizzaks on the steel painted rims for Winters. Grease is you friend in these cases.

What shall we have? An '82 Margaux! Is it any good? Good....?, It will make you believe in God!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts