Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have a 2018 EX-L, put on my winter tires (Latitude X-Ice Xi2 - Size: 235/65R17) few weeks ago. Last night received a TPMS warning. When I checked tire pressure was about 32-35 psi. I know the max psi for this tire is 50, but should the same psi that I use for my regular 18" wheels apply or do I need a bit more for winter tires ? thanks

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,194 Posts
Did you recalibrate the TPMS after you changed tires. You should recalibrate whenever you change or rotate the tires and when you add air to the tires.
The max pressure listed on the tire is just that "max safe pressure", running pressures higher than that may cause the tire to burst. Tire manufactures provide a chart which show for a given load on a tire size what is the recommended pressure range to run the tire. The car manufacturer has determined the optimum pressure to set the tire at based on the load, handling, MPG, comfort and braking distance. This pressure is listed on the driver side door frame. For the tire size 235/65R17 the pressure should be 32 front 30 rear. For the 235/60R18 it is 33 front 30 rear.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you recalibrate the TPMS after you changed tires. You should recalibrate whenever you change or rotate the tires and when you add air to the tires.
The max pressure listed on the tire is just that "max safe pressure", running pressures higher than that may cause the tire to burst. Tire manufactures provide a chart which show for a given load on a tire size what is the recommended pressure range to run the tire. The car manufacturer has determined the optimum pressure to set the tire at based on the load, handling, MPG, comfort and braking distance. This pressure is listed on the driver side door frame. For the tire size 235/65R17 the pressure should be 32 front 30 rear. For the 235/60R18 it is 33 front 30 rear.
Thanks ! I noticed my tires are 108 load index as opposed to 104H. I had the winter tires swapped at the dealership so that's a good question about if the TPMS was reset. After I cold checked the tires I did re-calibrate but I think I will bleed a bit of the rear tires then re-calibrate again.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hi. I have a 2018 EX-L, put on my winter tires (Latitude X-Ice Xi2 - Size: 235/65R17) few weeks ago. Last night received a TPMS warning. When I checked tire pressure was about 32-35 psi. I know the max psi for this tire is 50, but should the same psi that I use for my regular 18" wheels apply or do I need a bit more for winter tires ? thanks
Your CRV does not have air pressure sensors. The car doesn't know or care what the actual pressure is. You could remove the tires and drive on just the rims and it would be all the same to it.

The CRV's "TPMS" system looks at rotational speed of the wheels. If it detects that one or more wheels are starting to spin faster or slower than it used to, it will trigger the light.

·
Registered
18 Posts
On the LX, the difference is only 2 PSI front to rear, 32/30.
I had some issues with the TPMS light yesterday. My tires were a bit low due to colder weather, but I had no warning light. I guess all fours were "equally" low.
My pressure gauge was acting weird in the cold weather and I ended up over-pressurizing the tires (45 or so.) Then the light came on.
I got a different gauge and rest all the tires. the owners manual says to press the TPMS dash button (LX) until the symbols flashed, indicating recalibration had been iniatiated.

But, it does not say what mode that car needs to be in for this to work. Trial and error showed that key on/engine off makes it work

It also gives no information on how to complete the process.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I got a different gauge and rest all the tires. the owners manual says to press the TPMS dash button (LX) until the symbols flashed, indicating recalibration had been iniatiated.

But, it does not say what mode that car needs to be in for this to work. Trial and error showed that key on/engine off makes it work

It also gives no information on how to complete the process.
2014 CR-V Owners Manual.
Page 252 - describes when you need to run the recalibration process. Says to check that all four tires are the same pressure. Says to make sure the vehicle is at a complete stop, the shift lever is in Park, and the ignition switch is in ON II (dash lights on, but engine not running).
Page 253 - instructions for pressing and holding the TPMS button until it blinks twice, indicating the calibration process has begun. It it won't blink it tells you to go confirm the above conditions (on the previous page) and press and hold the button again. Also says: "The calibration process finishes automatically."
There's also a note to the right that says: "The calibration process requires approximately 30 minutes of cumulative driving at speeds between 30-60 mph (48-97 km/h)."

Not sure how it could be clearer, assuming you read all of the information in your Owners Manual.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It would be clear if all that was actually printed in the 2018 owners manual, but it is not. It says nothing about 30 minutes of driving or even being in Park.... I do know how to read and I can even turn pages, but thanks for confirming what I suspected about CR-V owners beliefs. Even if Honda says nothing, they are right.... Am I getting on track now?

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I have a PDF copy of the full 2018 Owners Manual.
The TPMS information starts on Page 518, the 30 minutes of driving after starting the recalibration process is on the right side of Page 519.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I would only go by the tire pressure listed on the drivers door jam. Then go into your info screen on the dash and do a reset of the tpms.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts