Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

A winter tire question for the tire "experts" on the forum. I have been looking for Winter tires for my 2011 4WD and found some Michelins 2nd hand - they have been through 4 winters and look like their tread is still fairly good and very little wear on the inside of the tire. The specs/warranty say the tires are good for 40K Kms - but these tires have been driven about 45K kms - this person bought them new for $1000 at Costco and is asking $400 - am wondering how many KMs ballpark I might get from these tires? And, given the warranty ended at 40K Kms - does that mean that the tires are close to end of life?

Geek

·
Registered
2 Posts
I m hesitant to install used tires unless I know the history but the price is high -at least around for around here. Not to mention over time the rubber dries out and hardens something winter tires rely on to achieve the superior traction at the cost of a shorter life. I think you would be much better off if you bought new considering price and performance .
The more I think about it you can buy new for that price .What did that $1000 buy him the tires mount, balance ,tax, disposal and probably some add ons like warranty and life time rotation and balance none of which you can use-shop new.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info - I share your hesitation - doing some further research - 1000 is about the going price for new with rims and install etc. etc. From what I could research - I'm no tire expert - but most tires from what I read have about 6 years of life - plus when you add in depreciation - I would agree $400 is too much - I said to the guy maybe they would be worth $200 but not nowhere near $400. I didn't really want to spend the money on a new set of tires at this stage but I might bite the bullet.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Snows can be harder to judge than all season tires because they use a softer rubber compound to allow the tread to stay pliable in the colder temperatures. Many makes combine this softer compound on the outer tread and use a stiffer compound on the inner tread to provide better handling and performance. So a set of used snows can "look" pretty good, but what you are looking at is the remaining harder compound after the outer softer compound has worn off. Additionally, the soft rubber does not "age" as well as all-season compounds, so it will have lost some elasticity over time. Most winter tires are good for 4-5 seasons, so the set you are looking at may be in less good shape than you think.

Growing up in VT, I have used a variety of winter tire makes over the years, and since I discovered the General Altimax Arctics I haven't felt the need to look further. Previously my favorite was the Blizzak WS80, but the Altimax Arctic's are much less expensive and wear much longer while providing similar winter performance (which is to say very confident handling and traction). Tires are a personal thing like religion or politics so you will no doubt get a variety of opinions, but you would be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't at least investigate the Arctics (which are really rebranded Gislaved Nordfrost 3) - check out the online reviews at Tire Rack or TireBuyer and the video test drive results and you will see what I mean.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the info guys - I ended up low balling the guy and offered $200 to which they thought was too low - they were hanging on to the fact that they paid $1000 at Costco 4 years ago and thought $400 was a fair price - am thinking in my head - and your point is.....:rolleyes:....in the end can't really afford the tires so moot point at this point....

·
Registered
135 Posts
AT about 6 years, a lot of reputable tire shops, in my area (like Discount Tire and even Walmart) won't touch a tire. That is about what their life span is....now, a Michelin is more than that, maybe even 10 years.

If the tires have 1/4" of tread (about 6mm), or more, on them, then I'd go for em, if not let them go.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
AT about 6 years, a lot of reputable tire shops, in my area (like Discount Tire and even Walmart) won't touch a tire. That is about what their life span is....now, a Michelin is more than that, maybe even 10 years.

If the tires have 1/4" of tread (about 6mm), or more, on them, then I'd go for em, if not let them go.
The 6 year span was what i was trying to get thru the guys head but he was hanging on to the fact that a) he bought them at Costco; b) he paid $1000 all in; c) it was all low kms highway driving - about a total of 45K kms (warranty on the tires was done at 40K kms) - the tires did look half decent but as another person on the forum said - tires are done at the 6 year level....oh well....he was bitching about the tires taking up lots of room in his tiny garage and lots of no shows when he advertised the tires....oh well....not my problem:rolleyes:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Last fall I purchased a used '04 EX. It required tires. Ordered 5 new from Tire Rack.com Bought General Altimax Artic's. A Very good tire for the money. Even got a tire rebate.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Last fall I purchased a used '04 EX. It required tires. Ordered 5 new from Tire Rack.com Bought General Altimax Artic's. A Very good tire for the money. Even got a tire rebate.
Thanks - thought of tire rack - however am in the great white north so have to be a high price for shipping which would negate any potential savings...so think I'm sol.

·
Registered
48 Posts
You could always buy a set of Nokian WRG3 SUV all WEATHER tires (at KAL Tire) for around $1000 and they run all year round. 80,000 km warranty and no change overs, no extra rims, factory rebate available and you could sell your current rubber to recoup some $$$.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts