Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Winter Tire

Tags
tire winter
15K views 42 replies 22 participants last post by  mrtn 
#1 ·
Any experience or feedback with these winter tires if you used it in your CR-V?
Pirelli Winter Ice Zero FR 108H
Continental WinterContact SI 108T
Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 104H

Is different load index and speed rating okay? Currently on 235/65R17 104H

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

#7 · (Edited)
I've purchased all three brands for various cars I've owned. The Pirelli had the best lateral grip and acceleration/deceleration grip on ice/sleet, but felt the least stable at highway speeds. The Continental had best stability, but worst grip. The Blizzak were in between. Keep in mind even the worst performing winter tire is significantly better than any all-season tire during winter conditions.

As a matter of fact, the Blizzak wheels and tires I used last winter on my (now gone) 2016 WRX are sitting in my basement now.

#10 ·
I have a 2017 touring, can I go down to 17 rims (I think if I do that I use 235/65/17 tires)?

If yes what's the best choice out of the following:

1) Costco steel 17in rim X47567 $58.99 + Bridgestone Blizzak WS-80 235/65/17 $142.49 = $201.48
2) Costco steel 17in rim X47567 $58.99 + Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 235/65/17 $152.49 = $211.48
3) Tires only Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 235/65/18 $202.49
4) Tires only Pirelli - WINTER ICE ZERO FR 235/65/18 $186.99

#11 ·
its always better to get a set of spare rims for your winters. its cheaper to just take the wheel on and off the car vs mounting tires on one set of rims. Less chance of damage to your alloys too. yes you can downsize to 235/65/17. My LX uses that size as stock. i got the exact same rim from costco a few weeks ago and mounted my winters on them. I will do the wheel swap myself when it gets colder

#14 ·
I bought a set of Nokian WRG3 SUV 235/60R18 107 V and put them on my factory rims. Now I don't have to change tires for 80,000kms.

#22 · (Edited)
I'm kicking tires on getting ahead of the game for winter 2020/2021 . Have any fellow Canadians bought tires online through either canada wheels or pcm tire ? It seems like I can save around 150-200$ on the tires mounted on winter steelies that I desire compared to what a local franchise charges . I can get the Blizzak dmv2's for around 191 each and steelies for around 78 each . A franchise called OK Tire has the same Blizzaks for around 225 ; not sure of their steelies price but its likely higher than 78 .

I'd get Honda to install them in november while I'm likely getting 1st oil change on my 2020 . They might be annoyed that I didnt buy from their 3 choices of tires though but even they are charging 228 for their higher end winter tire (michelin xice3)

actually just found a lower price , 187 at this place

this next page shows my options for steelies + winter tire choice . these guys also have a 5% rebate on top of the good deal .

so for canada , 1140$ , taxes included , free shipping is a decent number . especially for blizzaks dmv2's on steelies . I'm probably looking at 1400$ taxes included from a local franchise like OK Tire .

#23 · (Edited)
Seems like a good deal, but would your savings would be greater if you waited till the fall? Everyone's got the sales going on when in season (including Honda).

I purchased the Michelin Xice2 with steel rims for a total of $1250 (tax in) at my Honda dealership last fall, and then there was a $100 rebate from Michelin - it was only available in Sep-Oct time period at the time. Honda offered me a seasonal discount that if I recall matched or came close to Canadian Tire price. It was good enough for me. I planned this purchase during the time of my fall oil/filter change. I drove away after the oil change with the new wheels already loaded in the back of the CRV. It couldn't get any easier, and at my age I'm willing to pay more for convenience. It definitely sounds like what your planning could still save you even more $ though!

UPDATE: I see the tires at 4tires.ca... MICHELIN LATITUDE X-ICE XI2 for $1148.36 with tax

..........So definitely looks like you've found a site with good deals!

#26 · (Edited)
and when you use the promo code (WEB-5) it knocks an additional 37.50$ off the total price of the Blizzaks for a grand total of 804$ taxes in . I think I might just buy just the tires instead of the tires + steelies so I keep the transaction simpler and use the summer to find a cheap alloy thats winter durable to mount them on .

from their website regarding shipping

IS THERE SHIPPING FEES ?
Shipping is free whe you buy 4 tires for almost all Ontario and Quebec,and at the very low cost for all other Canadian Provinces. Certain conditions apply for remote locations. We deliver to: Ontario, New Brunswick,Nova Scotia, Quebec, Alberta and British-Colombia

#27 ·
and when you use the promo code (WEB-5) it knocks an additional 37.50$ off the total price of the Blizzaks for a grand total of 804$ taxes in .

from their website regarding shipping

IS THERE SHIPPING FEES ?
Shipping is free whe you buy 4 tires for almost all Ontario and Quebec,and at the very low cost for all other Canadian Provinces. Certain conditions apply for remote locations. We deliver to: Ontario, New Brunswick,Nova Scotia, Quebec, Alberta and British-Colombia
Perfect! But one last note regarding the advantage of purchasing in the fall. Unlike Michelin that seems to offer rebates year round, Bridgestone currently has no rebates. From what I've searched online, they only offered rebates on winter tires ($50-70) in 2019 between October and December. So looks like best to wait if you want the further savings.

#31 ·
I went a separate route.
Had the 19 inch OEM Continentals replaced with Nokian WRG4 all weathers back in December at KalTire when the car had only 50kms. Total cost was $1200. including tax after a $50.00 discount at the time. Finally got around to listing the OEM tires on Kijiji in March and sold within 4 hours for $450.00. Probably would have gotten a bit more but I figured people would not be looking to buy tires during a lockDown (had 2 offers for full asking the same day as listing). I have experience with Nokian all weathers on previous vehicles and they are great in the snow with good tread life. They are also quiet on the highway In the dry. I would not want them on a performance or luxury car but for an economy car or small SUV they are great and eliminate the need for separate rims And seasonal tire changes.. Not unidirectional tread On the WRG4 so need criss cross rotation which also extends tire life. KalTire has free lifetime rotations and they tighten with A proper torque wrench.

Attachments

#32 ·
I’d consider that route too if I lived where winter wasn’t so harsh. I’m in northern Ontario so I need the full Monty

#33 · (Edited)
quick update ; I found another canadian online retailer with good prices / free shipping .Could get blizzaks dm2's for 772$ (taxes in) with current 10% off promo on their site .They dont sell rims though so you'd have to find another place for that .

#35 ·
what are you guys buying as a secondary option for your dedicated winter rims ? I figure if I can save a few bucks by buying my blizzaks online I can splurge a bit on dedicated winter rims for under 150$ apiece .Or , simply a regular steel wheel + tasteful wheel cover / hubcap combo as option as well .

#38 ·
I was able to get my local honda dealer to price match pmc tire's online price for blizzak dmv2's mounted/balanced on honda steelies .

aprox 1275$ taxes included.

now if someone can point me in the direction to some matte black wheel covers that fit honda steelies part # 08W17-PC4300

kinda splurged on the tire quality so I had to squeeze on the rims haha

#42 ·
M+S actually means A LOT. Not an indication you will see on anything but winter or severe winter service all terrain tires.

I've used older all terrains and newer 3 peak rated all terrains. Definitely a difference in the snow. When where we used to live a couple years ago got a massive winter storm that even the plows, tow trucks and everything were shut down, I was able to go rescue people that buried their cars just trying to get home from work. In areas that even the police 4wd SUVs gave up trying to get to.

The only real thing pure winter tires are better than 3peak all terrains is icy conditions which they do exceptionally well in (depending on the brand anyway).

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.