Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Which winter tire do you recommend?

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a winter snow tire that 2017 onward CRV owners recommend? I am thinking about the Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 since I have used Blizzak before in my other car and they have proven worthwhile although they are more on the expensive side and they do wear out faster than some other brands. Any recommendations or experiences with this or other tires?

·
Registered
194 Posts
IIRC the Blizzaks are much softer tires and wear faster as a result. The Michelins supposedly did not wear as quickly and didn't seem to give up much vs. the Blizzaks, so I went with the Michelins

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I bought UltraGrip Ice 2 studless for two of my vans. But its not snowing yet so can’t tell how they perform. They’re harder than Blizzaks which I excluded for being too mushy.

·
Registered
113 Posts
This is the second winter using Continental WinterContact SI winter tires. Bought a 17" winter wheel package from TireRack.com. Tires are excellent in all conditions, not much more noise than the OEM tires.
I also have the Michelin Latitude XICE XI2 on my 18 Pilot. An excellent winter tire that leans closer to an all season tire, highway ride is excellent and tire noise is about the same as the OEM tires. No loss of gas mileage.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I would highly recommed Nokian WRG4 all weathers. No need to change seasonally. Have used the WRG3’s on our Nissan XTrail. Daughter from Ottawa used 2 sets of them on her Echo and now the WRG4’s on a Corolla.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have Continental WinterContact SI mounted on 17" wheels for my wife 17 CRV. 2nd year and still have at least another 2 years left. Great winter grip with a quiet highway ride. Dry road handling is close to the OEM tires. Also have Michelin Latitude X Ice XI2 on my 18 Pilot. Excellent highway ride, and winter grip is excellent. I run winter tires from October to May and will continue to do so as long as I'm in the Rockies.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nokian Hakkapeliitta's.

Blizzaks are 55% snow tread only. The last 45% is just all season tread.
I have heard that about Blizzaks. They also wear out pretty fast. Although they have maybe the best grip in snow/ice maybe it might be better to go with something else cause of these 2 reasons.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have Continental WinterContact SI mounted on 17" wheels for my wife 17 CRV. 2nd year and still have at least another 2 years left. Great winter grip with a quiet highway ride. Dry road handling is close to the OEM tires. Also have Michelin Latitude X Ice XI2 on my 18 Pilot. Excellent highway ride, and winter grip is excellent. I run winter tires from October to May and will continue to do so as long as I'm in the Rockies.
Do you find better snow/ice handling and grip with XI2 or the WinterContact SI? What about dry pavement during winter days?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Reactions: Don F

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am getting the Blizzaks for the 19 CR-V. Have them on the 14 Pilot (not sure if exact same
model tire ...). 5 winters, 74K total miles on Pilot, still over 1/2 treadlife (did minus one size, less $$)
while using the winters from Mid Nov- Mid march (DC area).

Blizzaks because great reviews, and they are available! Have bought from tire rack and costco.

Have used Nokkians (bought used), Goodyear, and Dunlop (add 6lbs air each for proper handling)
winters on brand x cars ...

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,554 Posts
Any reason Nokian is not on this list? Pricier for sure but they last longer and are considered the best performing in serious winter conditions. Here's a comprehensive test done a few years ago: http://www.caranddriver.com/features/winter-tire-test-six-top-brands-tested-compared-feature
Nokians were rated by CR as number 5 on their list of snow tires, and the last that they gave a recommended buy rating on. Also the most expensive.

Cooper Discoverer True North and Hankook Winter I*cept iZ2 were ranked number one and number two by CR in their most recent published rankings, and both were rated superior for snow traction, ice braking, and ride quality. The Hankooks were also rateed superior for rolling resistance (which to me seems a little oxymoronic for a snow tire :) ).

Continental Winter Contact Si and Micheling X-ICE X13 were ranked number three and number 4 by CR.

That said... all five of the above tires brands and models are all CR rated within a few points overall score of one another... ratings of 68-70 on CRs scale of 100.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I bought Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 SUV snows last year, very happy with them.

Also use Hakka snows on my other cars, might be biased ?

Reactions: Don F
1 - 20 of 69 Posts