Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I own a 2018 CRV ex-l, this is my second year with the car and here in upstate NY when it snows it just doesn't handle like the pilot we own when it comes to 4 wheel drive. I am thinking of putting snow tires on it next year. But I was going buy a pair of rims to have the snow tires mounted. I was going to do this and swap the tires and rims on the winter is because my local tire store wants 20 bucks each season to change from normal all seasons to winter snow tires. I found rims etc online used I was going to buy but before I do that..... Will the TPMS system in the car stop working? If I put stems that have the transmitters will I have to reprogram them ever year too, just seeing whats involved. Thanks

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Your 2018 CR-V does not have sensors in the wheels. It uses an indirect TPMS method.
Your Owners Manual has this information on Page 518:

Instead of directly measuring the pressure in each tire, the TPMS on this vehicle
monitors and compares the rolling radius and rotational characteristics of each
wheel and tire while you are driving to determine if one or more tires are
significantly under-inflated.
But, when you change to your winter tires (and when you change back to the regular tires) you will need to recalibrate the TPMS system. The recalibration information starts on Page 518 and continues on to 519. Basically you press and hold the TPMS button on the dash until the TPMS light blinks, and then go for a 30 minute drive.

·
Registered
530 Posts
2017+ doesnt have tpms sensors like older hondas you can recalibrate on the Hu.

i opted for goodyear weatherready tires ( all climate ) vs dedicated winters and they are awesome. My in laws in utica run them as well now and nothinf but praise. Switching seasonally is a waste of time now

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe the OP means $20.00 per wheel/tire.

I pay $16 per in my area...
Correct they want 20 a wheel to switch, I just find the CRV doesnt hold the road in the snow here in Albany NY, I slip all over not like im speeding etc just normal driving I dont have the confidence, I thought awd would have so I thought Snow tires would help. Maybe ill switch out the factory ones.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2017+ doesnt have tpms sensors like older hondas you can recalibrate on the Hu.

i opted for goodyear weatherready tires ( all climate ) vs dedicated winters and they are awesome. My in laws in utica run them as well now and nothinf but praise. Switching seasonally is a waste of time now
Im going to have to check them out, I only have 14k on these tires.... But better then swapping each season

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi I own a 2018 CRV ex-l, this is my second year with the car and here in upstate NY when it snows it just doesn't handle like the pilot we own when it comes to 4 wheel drive. I am thinking of putting snow tires on it next year. But I was going buy a pair of rims to have the snow tires mounted. I was going to do this and swap the tires and rims on the winter is because my local tire store wants 20 bucks each season to change from normal all seasons to winter snow tires. I found rims etc online used I was going to buy but before I do that..... Will the TPMS system in the car stop working? If I put stems that have the transmitters will I have to reprogram them ever year too, just seeing whats involved. Thanks
I too live in Upstate NY. I bought a set of used Honda rims in excellent condition for $85 each from a local salvage yard. 3 came with working sensors and I paid $50 to have one added to the 4th rim and programmed for my 2011 EX. $15 each to mount and balance the loose snows that I already had.

I don't know where you live, but maybe going used on the rims for the winter would save you some money, especially if they already have sensors. The rims I bought are at least as clean as the originals ones that were on the V.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Im going to have to check them out, I only have 14k on these tires.... But better then swapping each season
its a little more upfront, a 100000% quiter in the long run if you’re gonna keep the truck you’ll be happier and craiglist the oem junk. I sold mine for a few hundred bucks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I too live in Upstate NY. I bought a set of used Honda rims in excellent condition for $85 each from a local salvage yard. 3 came with working sensors and I paid $50 to have one added to the 4th rim and programmed for my 2011 EX. $15 each to mount and balance the loose snows that I already had.

I don't know where you live, but maybe going used on the rims for the winter would save you some money, especially if they already have sensors. The rims I bought are at least as clean as the originals ones that were on the V.
One question: if they have sensors do you need to reprogram them each time you change the tires from spring to winter etc? or once they are there your ok switching them?

·
Registered
26 Posts
My dealer charges 42 bucks tax included to switch all season tires to my winter tires that are on winter rims

·
Registered
78 Posts
My dealer charges 42 bucks tax included to switch all season tires to my winter tires that are on winter rims
Color me confused.

If your winter tires are on winter rims, what is the dealer switching?

My winter tires on winter rims are on the V. My non-winter tires on non-winter rims are in my garage. My driveway is where I switch them.

·
Registered
78 Posts
One question: if they have sensors do you need to reprogram them each time you change the tires from spring to winter etc? or once they are there your ok switching them?
That's an interesting question. Everything I've read and everyone I talked to, from dealers to the tire shop to my indy mechanic to folks in this forum all said that I would need to reprogram them when swapped. I took the tires and wheels to the shop in my Ody, had them mounted and balanced and then took them home and put them on the V. I was told to come back to have them reprogrammed once they were on the car. I totally expected a indicator light of some type, immediately. However, I got nothing. Everything looked fine and everyone was surprised.

I had to take the V back to have the balance checked so they did the reprogramming process just to be sure. As I drove away I got a flashing low-pressure light for a few miles which is what is expected after a reprogramming. After that all was well.

Now, that was on a 2011, which has to be done with the reprogramming tool. On an 18, I believe you do it yourself and it's supposedly pretty easy.

·
Registered
90 Posts
It takes about 30 seconds to recalibrate the TMPS sensors on the 2017+ CRV's. This is the third winter with the winter tire package from Tire Rack. Takes me 20-30 minutes to swap over 2x a year. Well worth the time and money to have a good set of winter tires.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It takes about 30 seconds to recalibrate the TMPS sensors on the 2017+ CRV's. This is the third winter with the winter tire package from Tire Rack. Takes me 20-30 minutes to swap over 2x a year. Well worth the time and money to have a good set of winter tires.
The sensors on your 2017 you can do it yourself? I would assume if so I can in the 2018

·
Registered
26 Posts
Color me confused.

If your winter tires are on winter rims, what is the dealer switching?

My winter tires on winter rims are on the V. My non-winter tires on non-winter rims are in my garage. My driveway is where I switch them.
They are taking off my all season set and putting on my winter set for 42 bucks . I store whichever set currently not on crv in my garage too . I don’t have a strong enough lower back to be doing it myself so I get dealership to do the job

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I got the rims 18x7.5 from a guy who had them on his civic. They are original really great shape he wanted 400 got the full set for 300, just rims, Since its so late in the seaon next year ill put in the TPMS sensors and snow tires call it a day.. i hope it helps my traction etc
thanks everyone!

·
Registered
78 Posts
They are taking off my all season set and putting on my winter set for 42 bucks . I store whichever set currently not on crv in my garage too . I don’t have a strong enough lower back to be doing it myself so I get dealership to do the job
Got it. Sorry to hear about your back.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Well I got the rims 18x7.5 from a guy who had them on his civic. They are original really great shape he wanted 400 got the full set for 300, just rims, Since its so late in the seaon next year ill put in the TPMS sensors and snow tires call it a day.. i hope it helps my traction etc
thanks everyone!
"So late in the season"? Mid-January?

How long have you lived in Albany? 😁

(BTW Greetings from Western NY, along the shore of Lake Ontario.)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts