Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 EX, my first AWD vehicle. I live in New England and was wondering if I should think of snow tires or are the all season tires good for this vehicle?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have a 2015 EX, my first AWD vehicle. I live in New England and was wondering if I should think of snow tires or are the all season tires good for this vehicle?

·
Registered
281 Posts
I’ve used all seasons (never winters) in 25+ years of driving in ny/nj but never had a job where i had a long commute.

now being a dad and having our daughter in a car i decided to get All climate tires goodyear assurance weatherready

they have compounds that give u winter tire performance, summer driving & non hydroplane in rain etc etc

might be worth looking into then you dont have to worry about it again or switching back and forth seasonally

·
Registered
24 Posts
If the temperature in your area regularly drops below 40°F (5°C) you need winter or snow tires. (Not all winter tires are good in snow). Both have a different rubber formula for low temperature durability. Winter tires are less aggressive, are better on ice and slippery pavement and generally quieter. Snow tires have more pronounced lugs, are better in deeper snow and generally are noisier.
Look for a snowflake inside a triangle molded into the sidewall of the tire. Your insurance company may offer a discount on your premium.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes you need snow tires unless your boss lets you stay home when it snows. I remember driving home after it snowed ~15in in my Honda Fit I had at the time (of course with snow tires) and I was fine while I was passing by people stuck off to the side of the road in their CR-V or Jeep Commanders with all - seasons.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Definitely get winter tires. People think just because there’s no snow that you don’t need them. But when the temperature drops past 7 Celsius your all seasons become useless. The rubber becomes hard and you lose grip on the road. With winter tires the rubber stays soft so you maintain grip on the road. That’s why they have gone away from calling them snow tires and instead winter tires.

I would recommend Michelin X-ice winter tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
361 Posts
A friend came over yesterday. He had gone back to studded tires after trying our studless for a while. It's good as we need studded tires for the studless to work on streets. In icy conditions the studs scrape the intersections just enough for studless winter tires to have some grip.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for the input, I really appreciate it. Now my next question, sorry, is do you put the winter tires on the existing rims or do you buy separate wheels for the winter tires?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for the input. Now my next question, sorry, do you put the winter tires on the existing rims or do you buy separate wheels for the winter tires?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thank you all for the input. Now my next question, sorry, do you put the winter tires on the existing rims or do you buy separate wheels for the winter tires?
I try to get mine on seperate rims. That way I can change them myself and I don't pay the $120 mounting and rebalancing fee twice a year. It's a higher up front cost obviously but if you keep the car you save money in the long term. I buy my tires / rims from Criagslist and I've always gotten great deals and never had issues with quality as long as I look everything over well first.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Whenever someone says you need to balance tires anyway every time you mount them - no. Once they're balanced you're good as long as the weights are intact.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Whenever someone says you need to balance tires anyway every time you mount them - no. Once they're balanced you're good as long as the weights are intact.
Different tires on the same rim would effect the balance right? I'm not a mechanic but I would assume anytime a tire comes off and they aren't sure where exactly it was positioned on the rim it needs to be re balanced. I don't know if you can even go to a tire shop and ask them to mount a set of tires on your rims WITHOUT balancing them.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Yeah, I mean there are people suggesting remounting tires every time because they need balancing. I am a strong proponent of dedicated rims for summers and winters. Never needed rebalancing after the initial mount.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Yes get black steel rims for your winter tires. You don’t want to use your OEM rims in the winter because the salt will corrode them. As well if you have large OEM rims sometimes the winter tires won’t come in that size. They are usually in the smallest size that will fit your vehicle.

For example I have 2017 CR-V EX. It came with 18” rims. I downsized to 17” rims for my winter rims and the lower model LX comes standard with 17” rims. Michelin doesn’t make 18” X-ice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thank you all for the input, I really appreciate it. Now my next question, sorry, is do you put the winter tires on the existing rims or do you buy separate wheels for the winter tires?
Mount them on inexpensive black steel rims (cheaper to buy, easier to maintain and cheaper to switch). Keep them free of snow and ice buildup. If you notice a shimmy or vibration while driving check for snow / ice on rims. Do not mount hubcaps or covers as they will trap snow and slush.
The previous commenter's mention of studs may not apply to you as many jurisdictions have outlawed them due to damage to pavement.

·
Super Moderator
3,238 Posts
Duplicate threads merged.

Personally I don't go with snow tires any more as we are awd. Eastern Mass has a habit of shutting down whenever there is a really bad storm.

I would recommend that you go with a second set of rims for the snows. The time we had a FWD car, that's what I did. Bought rims and tires online already mounted and balanced.

·
Registered
154 Posts
For me and separate winter set of tires, generic black steel rims but with highly rated ice tires. Black rims and NO hub caps - since hub caps hold ice chunks and make its steering wheel vibrate. This works for me...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts