Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I would like to apologize if this question has been answered elsewhere in the forum. I searched and couldn't find an answer.

I recently purchased a 2011 CR-V EX, specifically as a winter driver to handle the massive snow we receive in Atlantic Canada.

It's beyond great in the snow except for one big problem. The wiper blades park below the windshield so the snow and ice melts off the windshield then freezes to the wiper blades making them useless. Winter blades aren't the answer as the water accumulates in the well and freezes into a block of ice.

Is there a fix for this issue?

Has anyone had success with "Everblades" heated wiper blades? Rather not spend $150 on wipers this close to Christmas if they don't help.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I flip the blades up if it's snowing or expected to snow and I'm parked outside. Then in the morning or after work, whichever the case may be, I can scrape the windshield without damaging the blades, and they aren't frozen to the windshield.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply wymark, but the issue isn't when parked it's while driving. I had the defroster set high enough to cook a turkey on the dash but because the wipers park below the windshield they still freeze solid. the run off from the windshield doesn't drain and froze into a block around the wipers. When a transport passed us going the other way it covered the windshield with slush and the wipers were useless removing it.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Man, that sounds dangerous as all get out. We don't have that problem here but working wipers to clear something like that scenario are a must.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
My guess is, it is definitely the wipers you are using.

This is what I do. I bought some good BOSCH wipers (not winter wipers) and I buy 2" shorter than the standard size. It's amazing how effortlessly better they work, less area to stick and it still clears enough of the windshield. Especially heavy snow.

Best of luck, as I've never heard of CRV's doing this, so I've got to believe it's your wipers.

·
Registered
486 Posts
you can adjust the wipers, remove the black cover on the wiper arm, it should be a size 10mm socket, you loosen, then remove and rotate the whiper arm slightly so it is slightly higher, then retighten

video posted bellow is the inverse of your issue but should provide some minor enlightenment

·
Registered
224 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply wymark, but the issue isn't when parked it's while driving. I had the defroster set high enough to cook a turkey on the dash but because the wipers park below the windshield they still freeze solid. the run off from the windshield doesn't drain and froze into a block around the wipers. When a transport passed us going the other way it covered the windshield with slush and the wipers were useless removing it.
Wow, I've never seen anything like that. Where are you located?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input guys, I'm in New Brunswick Canada, We have a regular weather phenomena referred to as Ice storms.

This is what happened yesterday. Although it is below freezing it is raining. When the rain contacts a surface (like a car) it immediately freezes. I checked the drain holes and they are clear however there isn't sufficient time for the water to drain so builds up in layers.

I tried adjusting the wipers so they park higher on the windshield but then they slap the pillar and my wife wasn't happy with that.

The Blades themselves are new from Honda, last week. I don't think the Bosch blades would help as the ice formed on the lower portion of the windshield where it is below the dash. Might be worth a try though.

A few years ago I had a Chevy mini van that did the exact same thing, just not designed for our extreme weather. I'm thinking heated wiper blades might be the answer I found a company in Brampton Ontario that sells ones that turn on automatically when the vehicle is driven in below freezing temperatures.

Other than the wiper issue, I'm very happy with the purchase. I put Blizzaks on it this week and was amazed how good the vehicle handled the ice and snow. After work last night I went in search of unplowed roads. I found one with 30cm (1 foot) of mixed ice and snow and the CR-V was amazing, I had so much fun my wife called my cell and told me it was time to come home (after several hours of playing) :D

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Sure sounds like the heated blades are the answer then.
Glad to hear the CR-V can handle the snow with the new tires too.
Why designers thought they could 'hide' blades like that and still have them function is beyond me.

·
Registered
867 Posts
The wiper blades park below the windshield so the snow and ice melts off the windshield then freezes to the wiper blades making them useless. .
That's weird. I have a 2011 EX. My wipers park on the bottom of the windshield. On the glass. So having the defroster on helps some.

However, like 13CRVEXLKC mentioned, wiper defrosters would be great. Like several other manufacturers have.

·
Registered
644 Posts
My guess is, it is definitely the wipers you are using.

This is what I do. I bought some good BOSCH wipers (not winter wipers) and I buy 2" shorter than the standard size. It's amazing how effortlessly better they work, less area to stick and it still clears enough of the windshield. Especially heavy snow.

Best of luck, as I've never heard of CRV's doing this, so I've got to believe it's your wipers.
This is definitely worth trying before spending a lot of money on heated wipers. Shorter blades, rotate so they stop higher on the glass but don't hit the edge.

Also there is probably a limit switch in the motor to stop the wiper when it reaches an angle. May be that can be adjusted? I have not done this though.

·
Banned
2,510 Posts
The wiper blades sit too far below the heated portion of the windshield, if you change the parked position of the arm, you run the risk of the drivers side hitting the A-pillar. There are no limits to the motor, the wiper motor gear case runs in a circle that pulls the arm then pushes it, there is no back and forth motion to the motor. The slush that collects, freezes it doesn't have a chance to drain because it can't melt.

·
Registered
644 Posts
The wiper blades sit too far below the heated portion of the windshield, if you change the parked position of the arm, you run the risk of the drivers side hitting the A-pillar.
Yep, agree this is the case with blades matching OEM/spec. If you use a shorter blade, it can swing further toward driver's A-pillar before hitting it because the radius of the arc is smaller.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.