Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wipers on my 04 CRV still work, but not properly: When turned off, they don't park at the bottom of windshield. Also, i lost the intermittent speed - now, "intermittent" just runs like the constant, lower speed setting. I don't know anything about the mechanisms that drives wipers. Could this be the wiper motor? Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts

·
Everything in Moderation
7,736 Posts
If the wipers do the 'park motions', but don't return all the way to the base of the windshield, it's the plastic bushings in the wiper linkages. The parts page that Honda4Life linked has 'em, rod A and rod B.

If the wipers just stop wherever they are when you turn off the switch, it's the park switch.

I replaced the linkages in our 99 Acura, wasn't too difficult.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the information. The other problem is that there is no longer an intermittent setting - the wipers just run at normal speed, when I move the handle to the intermittent setting. Could this problem relate to the bushings as well?

·
Everything in Moderation
7,736 Posts
No, that would not have anything to do with the bushings. Worn (or failed) bushings create a lot of 'slop' in the wiper linkage...on our Acura they were crashing into the windshield side molding. :mad:

I suspect that the intermittent function is generated within the wiper control switch/stalk. Some folks have upgraded their wipers for user-adjustable intermittent settings (A La Acura) just by replacing the switch.

If you want this, a switch from an Acura RSX might be the one, but my memory is foggy...try a SEARCH. Otherwise I'd just try a junkyard wiper switch from another Gen2 CR-V.

·
Registered
252 Posts
If the park switch was fubared then the intermittent function might run continuously. On most cars, the intermittent feature provides a power pulse just long enough to get the wipers going and then the park switch keeps them engaged until they return to the park position. It's the park switch rather than the wiper switch that turns off the power between cycles.

When you turn the wipers off, do they stop randomly all over the windshield?

·
Everything in Moderation
7,736 Posts
the intermittent feature provides a power pulse just long enough to get the wipers going and then the park switch keeps them engaged until they return to the park position. It's the park switch rather than the wiper switch that turns off the power between cycles.
Good point Tom....the stalk might need a "park position" signal from the wiper motor to sense when to 'pause' the wiper...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tomkatt,

There are basically two problems I have with the wipers:

1. When I turn off the wipers, they stop randomly all over the windshield.

2. When I switch the wipers to "intermittent", instead of running intermittently, they run at a constant speed (seems to be the same speed as the "low" setting).

Both of these problems developed at the same time, so I'm assuming it is the same component(s )of the wiper system that are malfunctioning and need replacement.

Thanks for any feedback you can offer.

·
Registered
252 Posts
All your symptoms point to failure of the parking location switch, which is integral to the wiper motor assembly and is not designed to be repaired or replaced on it's own. I'm not certain what type of switch or sensor design is used or how easily it would be to attempt repair; the 'easiest' fix is tor replace the wiper motor assembly. The parking switch is typically a cam operated leaf switch, but in these modern times it might be some kind of proximity sensor... Either way my experience has been that it's usually some plastic or nylon gear that has cracked, preventing repair.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts