Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wired noise cominngg out of the timing chain area
obviusly i thought chain set need to be replaced since its running now on 241000 km
went to the mechanic and he told me the noise its from there but mght not be the chain and might be somethhinng else
which it cost a lot and maybe ts not worth it to fix it which i didnt understood so good what might be
Any clue what might be??
on Wednesday going in for better check up though its just that i am little bit worried about
thanks a lot

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,135 Posts
Timing chain replacements cost a lot of labor money. They stretch, if the engine oil is allowed to run low. Low oil also allows rapid wear of the built-in timing chain tensioner.

Eventually, a stretched chain will create a Check Engine Light when the ECU detects a disparity between crankshaft and camshaft timing.

It's worth investigation, though. Sometimes a noise (and leaking oil) can be a result of a worn crankshaft pulley, which has a rubber vibration dampener built into it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
Welcome to the forum! What Atwell said. The only thing I would add is this: If the noise is not the chain or tensioner or belt tensioner pulley, it could easily be from the water pump. So, if I were there, I would do it all, while in there. At that mileage, it would be the smart way to go, IMO. Certainly cheaper than doing it all but one part at a time.

·
Registered
2011 (but New-to-Me in 2020) EX 4WD
13 Posts
New to Honda and CR-V (hoping to get my first very soon), but my '02 V8 Ford developed a "flutter" sound near the right front part of the engine. It wasn't constant, so I let it go. Now that the oil (pressure) gauge reads zero and after educating myself on it, I've concluded that the timing chain guide (a piece of plastic that needs to be constantly lubed by clean oil) probably broke apart, allowing the timing chain to flutter and causing the oil ports to get clogged with pieces of plastic. It's got 235k MILES, I don't have the facilities and equipment to do it myself and a mech told me at this point, opening it up will cause many more problems. So, it's been sitting in my driveway while I decide if I can drag it to a very local dealer for trade-in, donate it or call a junker. Sounds like Ford and Honda are similar, in this case. My bottom line is, if EVERYTHING else about your CR-V is in great shape (which, at 241k KMs it could be), then pay to have that life-extending service done, along with water pump and anything else the Service manual and the people in these forums recommend. Otherwise look for another.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.