Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wireless Android Auto on 5th Gen CRV - it works (kindof)

19K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Plodmore 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I've been doing a bit of research and have extensively tried out two different approaches. My favorite is Approach 2 below, using AAGateway. It is stable enough to use on my daily commute, though it isn't "get in your car and leave phone in your pocket" stable yet. This guide will tell you what needs to be done and the limitations of both approaches, but will not walk you through every single installation step. My hope is that by pointing people in the right direction and with more users trying different things, and continued development by the software developer, we can continue to make progress.

First, credit where credit is due, Emil Borconi is the developer who wrote both of these. He is also the author of OBD2AA and carNotifier, and has reverse engineered Android Auto enough to create these solutions. Most of his pieces of software require small donations - worth it.

Approach 1: Head Unit Reloaded - replaces current Android Auto functionality with new software

Limitations
  • Requires root (HondaHack) and wifi on the head unit, and then install the Head Unit Reloaded App on the head unit and on your phone
  • Does not work with 3 steering wheel controls - 2 for phone, one for Google Assistant (media forward/back work fine)
  • Stutters a bit and can get laggy when e.g. streaming music and maps - probably wifi chip of head unit is slowww.
  • Does not work with sending music / song name and navi directions to iMID / secondary display

Head unit reloaded is an android app designed to use for folks that build their own head unit media devices (e.g. Pi based), and want android auto functionality. In the CRV, it runs on the head unit itself and provides the android auto server interface, unique from the native android auto interface. In fact, you can run it off USB 2 with a wire if you want as it is wholly separate. Head Unit Reloaded also works wirelessly, and if you connect your head unit to a hotspot that you create on your phone, you can get it to work. Development is very active.

Get Head Unit Reloaded:
[SUB]https://forum.xda-developers.com/general/paid-software/android-4-1-headunit-reloaded-android-t3432348
[/SUB]
HondaHack: http://autohack.org

Approach 2: AA Gateway - slave device permanently plugged in to car USB and wirelessly connects your phone to car.

Basics
  • Root not required on head unit, but helpful on slave. I rooted and installed Lineage OS on my OG PixelXL, which is no longer connected to a carrier.
  • All stock functionality retained as it doesn't change anything on the head unit
  • Current bug that causes a lockup if you try to use assistant, but developer is working on it
  • Stability is VERY device dependent for both Master and Slave - e.g. wifi speed, battery optimizations clunking things up, etc.
AA Gateway is designed for people who want to retain their stock head unit but wirelessly connect to it. It requires two programs, one run on your slave phone and one on your primary. The slave stays plugged into the car permanently, and wirelessly connects to your primary phone via a hotspot on primary. There are a significant amount of steps that have to happen in the right sequence for this to work seamlessly - wifi server start on primary phone, slave phone connect to wifi and start proxy, slave phone connect to car. It "mostly works". However, troubleshooting is a PITA as if the system times out it takes 5 minutes or so for the head unit to release the connection, thus making repeated attempts at tweaking settings and connecting quite painful. Development is very active.

Get AA Gateway:
[SUB]https://forum.xda-developers.com/general/paid-software/android-3-0-proxy-gateway-android-auto-t3813163
[/SUB]

See less See more
#6 ·
My ultimate plan is to get a wireless qi charger for my new phone and put it in the center console tray somewhat hidden. All problems solved.

I don't understand what you mean by switching back and forth with both active... They both charge at the same rate, and it is a slow rate due to head unit limitations. A 12v charger designed for your phone will do MUCH better.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

#11 ·
#15 ·
I don't see the big deal in swapping phones.... my wife and I does that all the time.... just wait like 3 seconds before plugging to the other phone (after unplugging the first)

maybe this will work? please tell us if it does (take note: it is for data sync)... View attachment 128477

View attachment 128499
I know this is an old post but for anybody (like me looking for info) the red one shown doesn't work. In fact none of my expensive fast charge cables worked. My very cheep and nasty pocket spare worked great. I haven't tried my magnetic one yet but as its for ease of charging I suspect it will have the same limitations my multi adapter had. Will update when I find it to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.