Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2017 CR-V and I have this dream that one day Honda will do a firmware update and magically change the Car Play to support wireless Car Play (which Apple officially supports). Or even if it will cost me money to physically change the innards of the player, I’d do it in an instant. Is this a pipe dream or already a potential product roadmap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,647 Posts
A firmware or software update won't do it. Someone could come out with a hardware add-on including a wireless LAN card, but it hasn't happened yet. I don't see why it couldn't though, it would be very similar to adding Bluetooth, which they have kits for. Maybe this will come out soon. It could happen! But if it doesn't you may just have to upgrade your head unit to get it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
A firmware update would absolutely do it. All the necessary hardware is in place. Short of that, you'd need something similar to an AAGateWay middleman device or a USB receiver that mimics a phone.

I've previously examined and decompiled the Android Auto app on the car and I might take a look at the CarPlay app just to see if the same bs applies. What Honda/Mitsubishi did is incredibly stupid.

The Android Auto app is divided into 2 halves: The Google half and the Honda/Mitsubishi half. The Google half supports wireless Android Auto, but the Honda/Mitsubishi half only contains calls for the USB method. It should be possible to code something specific to our vehicle that at least replicates what Headunit Reloaded does and allow wireless. And yes, installing HUR does allow a basic wireless Android Auto on the car. Getting everything else to hook in like turn-by-turn or call audio would be a huge effort.

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,647 Posts
My concern was whether the wireless circuitry hardware was present in the unit. So you are saying that it is? Wow. Well, if that is so it surprises me that they would not have it enabled in the software knowing the hardware was onboard, especially for such a major feature. Hmmm. Interesting. Weird, too. Bizarre, even.

Though not as weird as the fact that the word weird does not follow the rule that states "I before E except after C." Because you just can't get any weirder than that.

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
3,068 Posts
Get a tesla

·
Registered
64 Posts
Having hotspot or wifi direct support in the car would make things easier or more in line with the expectations of Apple and Google, but there's nothing stopping someone from running a hotspot and headunit server on their phone and projecting it to a receiver app installed on the headunit.

·
Registered
2017 EX White Diamond Pearl
171 Posts
1967 drove from NY to California and back with no AC, am radio, no phone or credit cards.. oh yeah 4 years ago did the same trip on my motorcycle. No AC or heat, no radio etc but did have a phone and credit card.. amazing what some people can and cannot live without. I will admit that some of the new stuff is nice to have...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts