Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 Honda CR-V. It’s mid November and it won’t even crank. I turn the key and nothing happens. All electronics work and they go off like the engine is about to crank but nothing happens. Does anyone have any ideas? My stepdad said that the starter may be frozen from the bottom

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
There was a recall on the ignition switch for your year CR-V. I found the following information on owners.honda.com. If you go there and enter your VIN number it will tell you whether your CR-V is covered. The fix is to contact your Honda dealer to have the part replaced.

1997-99 HONDA IGNITION SWITCH
NHTSA RECALL NUMBER:02V-120
MFR CAMPAIGN ID:L55
CAMPAIGN DESCRIPTION:1997-99 HONDA IGNITION SWITCH
RECALL DATE:05/13/2002
RECALL STATUS:17 Character VIN Required

SUMMARY:
ON CERTAIN SEDANS, COUPES, HATCHBACKS, AND SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, ELECTRICAL CONTACTS IN THE IGNITION SWITCH CAN DEGRADE DUE TO THE HIGH ELECTRICAL CURRENT PASSING THROUGH THE SWITCH WHEN THE VEHICLE IS STARTED.

SAFETY RISK:
WORN CONTACTS COULD CAUSE THE ENGINE TO STALL WITHOUT WARNING, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

REMEDY:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE IGNITION SWITCH. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN JUNE 14, 2002. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT HONDA AT 1-800-999-1009 OR ACURA AT 1-800-382-2238.

·
Registered
136 Posts
If it has an aftermarket starter, the starter solenoid may be failing to connect the battery to the motor. If this happens, you'll hear a single loud click from the starter every time you turn the key.

Sadly, even Denso starters have this problem because they use solenoids made by Mitsubishi, and Mitsubishi parts aren't great.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts