Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just transferred my auto insurance from a 2011 Kia Optima with premium package to a 2016 CRV EX-L. The CRV is 5 years newer and the MSRP was about $4,000 more. However, my premium decreased by $60 per year on the CRV. Both have the same size engine and are of a similar horsepower (within 9). Could it be the safety rating?

My annual premium on all of my vehicles went from $893 to $814. I have $500,000 single limit liability on my 04 F-150, 16 CRV and 02 PT Cruiser. I have $500 deductible comp and collision on the F-150, 16 CRV and 04 Flagstaff travel trailer.

·
Registered
776 Posts
My guess would be what you said plus the cost of collision repair for the 2 vehicles being different (altho it's hard to believe). Ask your agent, I'd be curious as well. Craig

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My guess would be what you said plus the cost of collision repair for the 2 vehicles being different (altho it's hard to believe). Ask your agent, I'd be curious as well. Craig
I'm not going to ask because going down is good. If it had gone up a lot, I would ask. I'm not going to rock the boat.

·
Registered
776 Posts
If it's the same agent, he already knows what you have paid in the past !!! Call him and learn something about how these companies charge !! The number is already locked in from the way it sounds !! Craig

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it's the same agent, he already knows what you have paid in the past !!! Call him and learn something about how these companies charge !! The number is already locked in from the way it sounds !! Craig
I worked in the insurance business for 31+ years and the world changed while I was working. In the "good old days", the agent could take your information, look in his manual and give you an accurate rate in minutes. That is no longer the case as I discussed with a motorcycle riding buddy who is an insurance agent last week. All they do now is put in your basic information along with the ID # of the car and the computer spits out a rate. The computer checks your driving record, credit score, the vehicle's safety equipment and accident risk per the ID# and gives a rate. The agent doesn't know and can't find out how the rate is determined.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I guess that if you don't know the answer after 31 years in that business, it's doubtful any of us can be of help !! Craig

·
Registered
77 Posts
Going from a 2005 CRV LX to a 2016 CRV LX my rate for the exact same coverage went up $4 per month, I was indeed pleasantly surprised. Also note that I'm with Geico and they offered an extended warranty at $6/month which I didn't take but I thought that it was interesting that they offered it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It doesnt explain why but it seems that Honda Oddisey is the cheapest vehicle in The US to ensure followed by the CRV. If you google that info you will find comparative statistics in that respect.

·
Registered
511 Posts
When I bought my '12 LX I emailed my agent the vin number and she gave me a full quote of the cost compared to the '04 Kia Spectra it replaced...took a mere few minutes and the cost increase was $1.00 per six months...no complaints

·
Registered
772 Posts
the vehicle's safety equipment and accident risk per the ID# and gives a rate.

Your above statement is my guess would involve most of the criteria. JMHO, good luck.
David g.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just transferred my auto insurance from a 2011 Kia Optima with premium package to a 2016 CRV EX-L. The CRV is 5 years newer and the MSRP was about $4,000 more. However, my premium decreased by $60 per year on the CRV. Both have the same size engine and are of a similar horsepower (within 9). Could it be the safety rating?

My annual premium on all of my vehicles went from $893 to $814. I have $500,000 single limit liability on my 04 F-150, 16 CRV and 02 PT Cruiser. I have $500 deductible comp and collision on the F-150, 16 CRV and 04 Flagstaff travel trailer.
Nice that your rates went down, my guess is the insurance company finally realized you had a PT Cruiser and felt sorry for you. I have popcorn :)

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice that your rates went down, my guess is the insurance company finally realized you had a PT Cruiser and felt sorry for you. I have popcorn :)
I have always wanted a woody wagon and the PT cruiser is the only woody I can afford.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have always wanted a woody wagon and the PT cruiser is the only woody I can afford.
I've seen a few PT's like that, mind sharing a pic of yours? This is the wifes, soon to be the kids. estes 004.jpg

·
Registered
32 Posts
Worked fine, good looking ride you have there. Nice.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts