Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
03 CRV
768 Posts
I tried to jump start the CRV as described above using a single wire between the two larger terminals pinholes used by the starter relay. Despite the overnight charge I still got no crank sound but did hear a click.
I personally would have load tested the battery to make sure it was still good before proceeding.

If everything supplying the relay slots with power and ground is working correctly, then if jumping the load side does not start the car, your problem can be the starter, the battery cable and solenoid wire that connect to the starter, and the engine ground straps.

·
Registered
2003 CRV EX
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I personally would have load tested the battery to make sure it was still good before proceeding.

If everything supplying the relay slots with power and ground is working correctly, then if jumping the load side does not start the car, your problem can be the starter, the battery cable and solenoid wire that connect to the starter, and the engine ground straps.
I decided to have my car towed to a friend's repair shop. My friend inserted the new starter relay I purchased and put it into the starter relay slot in the fuse box and the original undamaged relay in the slot beside the starter relay into its proper spot and after 6 cycles of cranking the key, the car started. He drove it into his garage and believes it was a bad starter out of the box.

·
Registered
03 CRV
768 Posts
I decided to have my car towed to a friend's repair shop. My friend inserted the new starter relay I purchased and put it into the starter relay slot in the fuse box and the original undamaged relay in the slot beside the starter relay into its proper spot and after 6 cycles of cranking the key, the car started. He drove it into his garage and believes it was a bad starter out of the box.
Well, I would say that this was a pretty good mental exercise, even if you didn’t complete it. The battery, fuses, and ignition switch are pretty accessible this vehicle, but the transmission range switch and starter are in a pretty annoying location, so going to the starter relay to figure out where to go with your next step was a good idea.

·
Registered
2003 CRV EX
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Just to close out this discussion, I wanted to thank everyone for the kind and thoughtful replies in this discussion. It turns out the recently installed new starter was bad and upon replacing it (after having done all the prior diagnostics and replacements of battery, starter relay and ignition switch) the car now starts on first try! Your help was invaluable to me.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.