Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woo! I love when the s*** hits the fan

Tags
fan hits love woo
5K views 24 replies 7 participants last post by  Jwood70 
#1 ·
Well, had a really great (not really) turn of luck with the CR-V in the last week. I had the master and slave cylinders replaced last week. Everything was going great until yesterday (Sunday) afternoon. Well I was driving and the clutch started slipping. I had to get it towed to the mechanic and when I talked to him this morning, I was told that I am looking at around $550 for the new clutch installed.

See less See more
#4 ·
It still had the factory original clutch in there. I had the master and slave cylinders replaced last week.

Bummer for you.........hope you get back on the road soon..........just look at it this way........there is not much else you can do with money but spend it.
Except I dont have money to spend on this right now. I did talk to the shop owner and he told me I could pay over time. He is a very cool guy

#3 ·
Bummer for you.........hope you get back on the road soon..........just look at it this way........there is not much else you can do with money but spend it.

#5 ·
Well, thank goodness for a shop that will help you out. I had the V towed over to the shop yesterday afternoon. When the shop opened this morning, I was called (I hadn't made it in yet) and was told, "yeah, your clutch is gone." Well, not having a choice, I told them to let me know the estimate and and they told me $550.

Well, that being said, I went by to check on the status and at 1pm, the transmission was back in and he was putting the axles back in. I expected to have it back around 3pm. Well I stopped by and the mechanic explains how he isn't happy with the throw of the clutch. This makes me extremely happy that he would work so hard to get it exact.

Come 5:35pm (they close at 5pm normally) and he is just finishing it up. I was told that if I didn't like the feel after a few days, to bring it back by and no charge, they will get it right.

After driving tonight, I am rather happy with the feel. And the price wasn't too bad either, ($460 parts, labor and tax). Just another reason that I will stick with a small, privately owned shop.

#7 ·
when it comes to a mechanic, I am a picky guy. I know enough that given the time and the tools, I could do about 80% of all the work I need done. That being said, I would recommend these guys to anyone I know.

#11 ·
I wish I had a stick. Well, I do, but I wish it was in a cool car, not a '91 Ranger... although that truck is loaded with a sweet sounds system. It was my friend's and he gave me $1000 when I visited him, and told me to buy stuff for the car, got a Fosgate punch 10" thin mount woofer, Infinti amp, infiniti speakers, tweeters, and a new headunit. Then I wrapped the whole plastic interior for now. We share the truck. It's crappy, but it works...

either way, I wish I had a clutch to worry about.:)

#12 ·
I will not own a daily driver without a clutch as long as I have a choice. Even when I get married, I will teach my wife to drive a 5 speed. There is just so much less to go wrong, and the cost to fix is much less.

#13 ·
If you have a old EJ civic HX that is auto, and the tranny goes out, it's worth more than the car! Since 1996 honda's hx gets like 40-50mpg and on the auto version, it was a 1 speed. Now everyone in the last 3 years have been acting like they came up with it! The civic hx getts better gas mileage than 99% of the hybrid cars today....and it's 14 years old!!!!!!

#16 ·
I drove a 20 year old truck, still working. I ride the clutch still... but mostly because the truck doesn't roll very well and you may need to hit the gas again to a light you were cruising to. Usually I just shove neutral and declutch and reclutch to first when I need to leave a light. Also 1st is kind of sticky, and can only be pushed in correctly if the truck is off, so it makes a larger ritual to get the car to leave a stop light. hehe. No power steering either. Gotta yank on the steering wheel to make it turn just barely. Builds a lot of muscle.:D

I'm worried trying to teach my wife to drive stick. She freaks out enough with an auto. I can't imagine her stalling or anything...

#19 ·
I had a porsche once upon a time, and let me tell ya... it was cool... but German engineering=more things that break/fade/crap out. I had a 1968 Porsche 911 4 speed. It was hot, and it was fast, and boy did it break hard when it died. If it was a horse, it was a horse that shot itself. Mine was pristine after I restored it, all new paneling and leather, and I found the original un-finished brushed stainless dashboard... heck ya. I sold it in it's broken state for $5,000. Pretty good deal, since i got it for free, and painted it and fixed it myself in my own shop.

It started shooting oil out of that pretty brushed steel grill... it sucked... I eventually changed the badging to the 912 so I could pretend it had the bigger engine...

#24 ·
Carrera, that's what it's called. I think the Cayanne is the SUV, which I want. I've grown out of little cars. The cross-over is more for me. 325 horses... wow, they've come a long way, 3 times more powerful than mine was, but it also weighs about 3 times as much, pretty even trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.