Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
But not for 2-4 weeks.....

Long story short, CR-V was dropped off on Thursday so dealer could have it when it was cold. FINALLY they said yes your right its not warming up correct. After letting it idle for 20 minutes it would only reach 120F, driving it took way too long to warm up. So they are replacing the T-Stat.....AGAIN. I still can't believe they did not have one in stock. I'm dropping it off again next week and they will give me a loaner. About the "Fix", they are replacing the climate control unit and doing a firmware up date. My CR-V is # 3 on their list to do. The service manager said this will correct the fuel dilution problem.....or so he hopes. Sounds likes he is not sure but is just passing along what is being told to him. They also went ahead and changed my oil and filter since the oil level was high and smelled of gas, they did not charge me for it. I hope the T-stat and fix work, time will tell.

Personally I think the T-stat is fine since it works OK in warmer weather. I find it hard to believe their was something wrong with the original and second t-stat they put in back in April

All I can say is if your having these same issues make yourself heard at the local dealer. I was a PITA for mine, they never heard of the problem, never knew anyone with it until I walked in. It was actually nice hearing the service manager finally say their is a problem here that we are addressing.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Sure hope it works for ya.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Plug that ScanGauge into the loaner vehicle..........just for comparison.:nod:

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Any way you could snap a t-stat pic? I’m really curious what the motor end of the t-stat looks like. I’m getting really simple in my old age.:Loco:

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Any way you could snap a t-stat pic? I’m really curious what the motor end of the t-stat looks like. I’m getting really simple in my old age.:Loco:
I won't be there when they change it, I'll ask them to save it for my. I'm betting they won't.

Just to be clear I don't think changing the t-stat will do a dam thing. I'm playing along for now, I want to build a lemon case again them

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,191 Posts
Here's a selection of aftermarket t-stats (with pictures) for the 2017/18 from Advance Auto Parts. That bottom 'disc' should be straight on the one they remove. Perhaps @FASTFJR could get a picture of the old one at least?

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/find/honda-cr-v-thermostat

+++++++++++++

I know your Gen5 cars are under warranty, but has anyone ever considered seeing if the aftermarket 'stats result in hotter running? They DO on Gen1 CR-Vs and are popular in Canada.

I'd be wary of engine temps in the summer though. For sure, keep that Scangauge plugged in and make notes on running temps in various ambient temperatures. :angel2:

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here's a selection of aftermarket t-stats (with pictures) for the 2017/18 from Advance Auto Parts. That bottom 'disc' should be straight on the one they remove. Perhaps @FASTFJR could get a picture of the old one at least?

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/find/honda-cr-v-thermostat

+++++++++++++

I know your Gen5 cars are under warranty, but has anyone ever considered seeing if the aftermarket 'stats result in hotter running? They DO on Gen1 CR-Vs and are popular in Canada.

I'd be wary of engine temps in the summer though. For sure, keep that Scangauge plugged in and make notes on running temps in various ambient temperatures. :angel2:

When I went to get the car yesterday I was a little more than annoyed they didn't change the T-stat because they did not have one in stock and would not be able to get one until Tuesday. It was only 3pm and I asked if they would install an after market stat, they would but they would not warrant it. Since I didn't want to open up another can of worms I told them fine I'll just wait. Thats when the service manager came out and said they would need me to drop the car off the night before and they would give me a loaner.

For anyone who has had the "Fix" done how long did it take? I really don't want drop the car off again for the day

·
Registered
533 Posts
When I went to get the car yesterday I was a little more than annoyed they didn't change the T-stat because they did not have one in stock and would not be able to get one until Tuesday. It was only 3pm and I asked if they would install an after market stat, they would but they would not warrant it. Since I didn't want to open up another can of worms I told them fine I'll just wait. Thats when the service manager came out and said they would need me to drop the car off the night before and they would give me a loaner.

For anyone who has had the "Fix" done how long did it take? I really don't want drop the car off again for the day

Honda wont even send out a T stat any more unless dealer cant prove old one is defective(straight from the tech at Honda) so it may take a while....fix took less than 40 minutes from drop off to pickup?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Honda wont even send out a T stat any more unless dealer cant prove old one is defective(straight from the tech at Honda) so it may take a while....fix took less than 40 minutes from drop off to pickup?
I found it bizarre they didn't have a single T-stat in stock. This is not a small Honda dealership, its pretty large with a 14 bay service department

This morning I went to test drive a 2019 Subaru Forester Limited......Very nice car, I fit in it very well, like the feel of everything. At least around here they are very hard to come by. I can order one which will take 12-16 weeks. As I'm walking to my car another person in a 2018 Honda CR-V pulls in next to me. The guy gets out and says nice CR-V.........Heat or Oil problem? I said funny you should ask Lol

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm honestly getting fed up of Honda. They need to keep my car for the entire day for the "fix", and mine is only the s/w update. Called around here in Montreal for better options and half the dealers won't do the "fix" because apparently they are missing parts, or they prefer to do tire changes instead. When I tell them mine is just s/w, they then brush me off.

Not impressed.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wanted to add what happened today. They replaced the T-stat today, which didn't same to do a thing however I won't really know until I start it up in the morning when its cold. I also found out I won't be getting the fix in a week or so. "Letters" will be going out from Honda in January - February (At least if your in PA) addressing the issue and basically saying to call your dealer to make an appointment. Parts will be shipping to dealers the same time the letter is sent. This is what was told to me by my local Honda service guy who just got off the phone from his Honda tech. I asked so what am I supposed to do about the oil dilution issue between now and then, he said just to check it and if I notice it rising come in and they will change it at no cost. Needless to say I'm not real happy with the whole situation

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hi FASTFJR,

Do you think this confirms the rumors that are delaying a fix? Or reissuing it? It seems it would have been much easier to just update the SW via the known TSBs then change the Tstat only, if a SW update was available.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi FASTFJR,

Do you think this confirms the rumors that are delaying a fix? Or reissuing it? It seems it would have been much easier to just update the SW via the known TSBs then change the Tstat only, if a SW update was available.

I really don't know. I did ask if a first round of parts was recalled and the service guy said he did not know. From what I understand is "Fix" is / was being applied to the 2019. Maybe that is why the parts are in short supply / delayed. All I know is last week I was told by Honda dealer they would be getting parts in 2-3 weeks. Guess thats not happening. Watch your mailboxes.... Lol

·
Registered
533 Posts
Wanted to add what happened today. They replaced the T-stat today, which didn't same to do a thing however I won't really know until I start it up in the morning when its cold. I also found out I won't be getting the fix in a week or so. "Letters" will be going out from Honda in January - February (At least if your in PA) addressing the issue and basically saying to call your dealer to make an appointment. Parts will be shipping to dealers the same time the letter is sent. This is what was told to me by my local Honda service guy who just got off the phone from his Honda tech. I asked so what am I supposed to do about the oil dilution issue between now and then, he said just to check it and if I notice it rising come in and they will change it at no cost. Needless to say I'm not real happy with the whole situation
so what your saying you wont wear this shirt?..i was going to order a couple dozen....lol

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Do you have one with a big FU Honda on it Lol.

I must say I felt bad for the service guy, I really gave him a hard time and I realize he was just passing along the info. Anyway I got the paperwork done, returned the keys for the loaner and was walking to get my car when he came up besides me and asked if I was such and suches father. I said yes, this kid, I call him a kid but he is either 24-25 graduated HS with my son and turns out new him pretty well. He had a couple questions about him. My son is currently with the Peace Corps after graduation from college. Any we start talking about stuff and I apologized. I asked if their is any more info you can give me, he laughed and said sorry no that is all I know

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Don’t suppose they gave you the old t-stat?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts