Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove my cr-v 2017 ex in Econ mode for the first two tanks. Got mileage around 31.5 from car's computer. For the third tank, I turned off Econ and immediately mileage went up to 33.5. I also notice that rpm was fixed at around 2k for Econ. In non-econ mode, it will reduce to 1.5k when slow.
How's your 1.5 turbo?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I drove highway today for~ 30 miles at 65-70 mph.. I switched Economy mode on & off a few times. At those speeds no change in RPMs.. was about 2k either way at that speed. Haven't experimented on local roads yet

·
Registered
294 Posts
I would not expect the Econ Mode to have noticeable effect on highway cruising. I really think the driver's approach to acceleration to have more effect. I think the Econ Mode to help drivers with heavier feet achieve better MPG's. I have driven with Econ on since I got my car but will switch if off for a while to see the effect on performance and economy.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I would not expect the Econ Mode to have noticeable effect on highway cruising. I really think the driver's approach to acceleration to have more effect. I think the Econ Mode to help drivers with heavier feet achieve better MPG's. I have driven with Econ on since I got my car but will switch if off for a while to see the effect on performance and economy.
Cruising ECON will not help. As pointed out ECON mode sort of reduces the response of the throttle which probably only matters on stop and go. ECON does, however, do other things like cut back on the A/C compressor operation and such. This will save a little on gas but in very hot weather can reduce how cool the interior of the car is.

I don't use ECON mode as I just drive with a gentle touch. I found that on my new Touring that a soft touch on the gas really makes a difference in my mileage. This car just felt so much smoother than my 2012 and I guess I was nailing on the gas petal a little more firmly than I should have been....silly me! Once I got the hang on it my MPG jumped WAY UP!

·
Registered
100 Posts
agree totally on the impact on stop and go and local roads... I have it in my '14 Accord Coupe, I noticed right away the Econ mode shifts earlier to stay in lower RPMs. Flipping button off and you notice increased Revs and more power. But with the CRV Turbo power is available at low RPMs, so I think will be less of impact vs. driving my Accord with no turbo

·
Registered
430 Posts
I drove my cr-v 2017 ex in Econ mode for the first two tanks. Got mileage around 31.5 from car's computer. For the third tank, I turned off Econ and immediately mileage went up to 33.5. I also notice that rpm was fixed at around 2k for Econ. In non-econ mode, it will reduce to 1.5k when slow.
How's your 1.5 turbo?
Possibilities:
1. Your engine may be "loosening up" with the break in period and your mileage may have increased anyway, regardless of driving mode.
2. Econ mode lessens the throttle input and may cause a really slow "crawling up to speed". Moderate acceleration in normal drive mode will get you up to cruising speed more quickly where you car can spend more time in the more energy efficient state of steady state cruising.
54cac5aa1e5b9_-_mileage-tips-03-0511-de.jpg

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a6827/6-driving-tactics-to-save-gas-this-weekend/

·
Registered
200 Posts
I always knew this to be true: "Conventional wisdom says that jackrabbit starts consume more fuel. But it turns out that nursing your speed up to the limit too slowly also lowers mpg. "

In effect, using ECON in the city wills screw up your mpg. Always take it off in stop and go traffic.

The other biggy with this 1.5 CRV is engine temp. It's MPG is HORRIBLE when it's not hot. Tip from the site:

"Warm Up the Engine

Cars get better fuel economy when the engine is warm. So if you have a three-stop run, hit the farthest destination first, then work your way back home. A fully warmed-up engine will remain at an efficient temperature even if it's parked for 30 minutes."

·
Registered
294 Posts
Drove from Pensacola, FL to Birmingham, AL today. Econ off, mostly interstate at 75, car indicated 36.1 MPG. Did not need to fill up so have no calculated figure but first three tanks were only .1 away from indicated. Very happy camper. Good highway acceleration, caught myself accidentally at 80 a couple times when cruise was off for traffic or passing.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Somewhere I read an interesting article where Honda mentioned that their "studies" found that driver habits could change fuel efficiency by as much as 15%. They were not referring so much to really bad driving as much as just normal variations in everyday driving by Joe Average driver. The ECON button is just a way to slow down these heavy footed drivers.

Back in my working days we would do data recordings to teach technicians how to drive properly to make OBD 2 tests run on the car. It was very enlightening to show them the data stream playbacks to make them understand how badly some of them drove. Some couldn't even hold a steady throttle, they had "nervous feet". Some refused to believe how bad they were until they saw the raw data proving they needed to fine tune their right foot.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I get similar results. Econ mode delivers slower response, but I don't notice lower rpm. I also lose a few mpg with it on. The car has shown close to 40 mpg on a mostly highway drive from State College to Harrisburg, PA with ECON off.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I want to correct something I wrote back last March...I said ECON mode wouldn't help highway driving. That is not entirely true. Econ mode will cut back A/C operation some and that might give you a little tiny amount of increased economy, but it would be very small.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Agreed especially on hilly roads and in town driving, in econ mode the throttle is less responsive and power seems down slightly, I disagree with the statement it does not help on long freeway drives i find its the only time it does increase my mileage.....

·
Registered
496 Posts
I get similar results. Econ mode delivers slower response, but I don't notice lower rpm. I also lose a few mpg with it on. The car has shown close to 40 mpg on a mostly highway drive from State College to Harrisburg, PA with ECON off.
40mpg?
are you doing like 55 on the highway?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Econ mode I found works great in snow and ice, it slows the throttle response. but to save gas it is a waste of time....... jim

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Top Gear had a great episode about a challenge to go the most miles on a tank of gas. They were able to get some unbelievable mpg's by doing all sorts of fuel saving driving. It was not very practical, for instance driving in the summer with the windows up and the AC off, I think Jeremy cut off the AC belt for laughs.

·
Registered
631 Posts
How's your 1.5 turbo?
I know this sounds stupid,but where do you find gas mileage by the cars computer?......I cant seem to find it.....someone point me in the right direction please

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I know this sounds stupid,but where do you find gas mileage by the cars computer?......I cant seem to find it.....someone point me in the right direction please
The gas pump icon that shows up as you cycle through the dashboard display options.

Rob

·
Registered
691 Posts
It's pretty easy. Press the info button on the left side of steering wheel just right of bluetooth button. The display will change in the speedo window. Toggle left or right till you see the gas tank icon. Press select. Or, you can go into settings on the infotainment ctr., select auto and follow prompts to get to history of "A". It will show the last 3 fillups.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts