Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are in the market for a new car and started looking at the CRV. I already have a Hyundai Tucson and my wife wants to trade in her Cruze for a similar sized crossover SUV since we just had our first baby.

My question is that I know the car was redesigned for 2017 and has major improvements so would you even consider a 2016 Touring model at this point?

I found one in the color she would want. I have not went to the dealership to talk to them yet but what would they have to take off the car to get you to buy it considering the 2017 redesign? Only thing I can see is the $33k price online.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had the same thought before buying our 2017, but after looking online and such, 99% of publications said that the 2017 is much better. 2016's werent at the top of their segments, but the 2017's are.

Also, when buying a 2016, you are already getting a year old car for around the same price as a 2017. IN my area, Honda dealerships werent discounting the 2016's enough for it to be worth it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Take this for a grain of salt, o.k.?......
I never even LOOKED at a previous year CR-V, until the 2017's came out.
I bought a new 2017 Obsidian Blue 2017 Touring, 3 weeks ago, and am VERY happy with it!
(PS: I drove a 2005 Honda Element for 12 years before this.)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, everything I read says how much nicer the 2017 is compared to it. I don't even know how much they will come down on the 2016 but they are obviously not finding a taker for it. I have never owned a Honda before so if we do decide to get a 2016 or 2017 it will be our first.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I'd say there's a right price for everything and $33k seems way off the mark. If you shop around you can get at least $2500 off a 2017 CRV. A 2016 should be hugely discounted. It won't be too much longer before production switches over to the 2018's.

·
Registered
428 Posts
on truecar, 2016 crv touring is showing $4000 discount in my area.

If you prefer the 2.4 non turbo engine along with the touring features, the 2016 would be a good buy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
on truecar, 2016 crv touring is showing $4000 discount in my area.

If you prefer the 2.4 non turbo engine along with the touring features, the 2016 would be a good buy.
I always forget about truecar. It only shows $1,679 off MSRP for a 2016 in my area (Tennessee). Figured it would be a lot more of a discount since we are now almost to the 2018 models and its a 2016 sitting on the lot.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Been buying CR-V's since 2002 and each time it has been the same experience... I look at the previous year's model trying to get a bargain and no one will offer enough of a discount to make it worth it. The CR-V holds it's value and they have no trouble selling them so they figure why should they discount.

·
Registered
428 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just did true car for a 2016 crv touring in Nashville and it shows a $3,900 discount.

With some haggling and patience, perhaps you could get another $1000 off.
Thank you. That's exactly where I am at. Ii'll see what they say but most likely end up with a 2017 because I assume I will run into the same problem as SBarne and them not coming down enough. Still need to go test drive the 2016 & 2017 to see the difference.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I got >$5,000 off a 2017 EX-L in Dallas area so $3,900 would still not be worth it imho.
Also keep in mind that they know that I am going back next month to buy another EX-L from them so that probably helped too.
You got a great discount, no doubt, but I think that purchasing two CRV's helped a bit, no?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Wow, $5,000 off the 2017 EX-L! That is the deepest discount I have heard about on the forum (so far). If you would take the time, go over to the 2017 CR-V Pricing Thread and break down your purchase for us potential EX-L buyers. Stuff like: Purchase Price (including destination), Dealer doc fees (if any), Final Price Paid (with or without tax and tag paid), and your Actual Discount of $5000. There are a lot of people in Texas (and elsewhere in the country) interested in the latest discounts and your discount is outstanding - congratulations! Maybe include a little story about how you worked the deal out would be helpful to those of us that have been told by dealers "Discounts, what discounts? It's MSRP for you, G.I."!
I got >$5,000 off a 2017 EX-L in Dallas area so $3,900 would still not be worth it imho.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Wow, $5,000 off the 2017 EX-L! That is the deepest discount I have heard about on the forum (so far). If you would take the time, go over to the 2017 CR-V Pricing Thread and break down your purchase for us potential EX-L buyers. Stuff like: Purchase Price (including destination), Dealer doc fees (if any), Final Price Paid (with or without tax and tag paid), and your Actual Discount of $5000. There are a lot of people in Texas (and elsewhere in the country) interested in the latest discounts and your discount is outstanding - congratulations!
Thanks... I already did that... http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums...honda-cr-v-pricing-thread-31.html#post1023330

Maybe include a little story about how you worked the deal out would be helpful to those of us that have been told by dealers "Discounts, what discounts? It's MSRP for you, G.I."!
as freshlysqueezed pointed out, I bought one with the promise of buying a second. I basically said "Give me a great deal today and in one month, I'll come buy a second one from you." Which I plan to do (I already put a deposit on the second one... just waiting for it to arrive from the factory.)

I also referred someone on here to my salesman and he bought a touring from him so I've got a good working relationship there.

Having said that... There are a few keys to getting a bargain on (nearly) any vehicle
  • Be polite, but firm - No one wants to help out a j*** a**
  • Determine the maximum you are willing to spend BEFORE you step foot in the dealership and don't go above it.
  • Let the dealer know that you will buy today if you can come to terms on price. - If you are just there fishing for a deal and aren't really ready to buy, why should they waste time with you?
  • Offer a price below your maximum and slowly raise it if necessary (up to your maximum). - This shows them that you are serious and are being flexible.
  • Be willing to walk away - You hear this tip a lot... because it works. If they won't accept your maximum, then walk away. If your maximum is relatively close to their best offer, then they might just stop you before you can leave and accept your offer. If not, then move on to another dealer.
  • A tactic I have used to circumvent their sales strategies (called "overcoming objections") is to just say "That is beyond my budget. My wife and I have carefully calculated how much we can spend and I have offered you the most that I can". Their strategies of "We're losing money on this deal... this is a great deal" just don't work anymore after that. Again, be polite... "I'm not saying it's not a good deal, just that it's not in my budget, but thank you for your time." Disarms them everytime... they don't know where to go after that.

One last thing...
Getting quotes over the internet used to work well, but in my experience these days it doesn't... Most will just offer an 'ok' price and won't negotiate even a penny less. You are much better off negotiating face-to-face.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I compared both (Tourings AWD) 2016 and 2017 - Clear winner was the 2017 (Turbo and MPG and when running was quieter). Oh..and the AWD puts 45% in the back wheels.. I think the 2016 only had (guessing 33%?)

PS: Wife said Volume Knob was put back for the 2017. :)

2017 Touring AWD for $32,500 plus tax

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.