Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have the 2018 CRV Touring. The vehicle is 3 years old. Having read several posts regarding the life of the battery I am thinking about having the battery replaced, as preventative maintenance and a peace of mind. I have not had any battery problems and wondering if it is reasonable to swap out for a new one before I do have issues. Your thoughts would be appreciated.
There are a number of battery testers that work on a capacitance/conductive test method rather than the "old school" load test. While they don't put a heavy load on the battery, they seem to be fairly accurate in detecting a battery that's on it's "last leg" prior to not cranking the engine over anymore. I have one made by Solar that costs about $50; it allows you to test standard flooded wet cell auto batteries, gel cells, SLA, AGM spiral, etc. You specify the rating by CCA, DIN, etc. I found most batteries when new to be a lot higher than their rated capacity (ie. a 450 CCA battery will test at 525 CCA or higher when new) and once the battery tests below the rated CCA, it's degrading. Although a 450 CCA battery will indicate as "good" at 390 CCA, I would begin thinking about replacing it.

In the case of Honda branded OEM batteries, I would definitely use the above criteria because despite it saying "100-month warranty" on the battery label, I've rarely found them to last beyond 4 years in general; at least on my Fits they don't. On the other hand, my 2012 Fit has an Interstate MTP-151R which has a 5 year warranty on it and I'm already at 5-1/2 years and it's still working fine (my last test on it did show 350 CCA on a rated 370 CCA so it's going to fail soon but it's already lasted beyond the stated warranty period).

I would seriously think about replacing the battery soon as we're approaching the winter season and if it snows a lot where you live, you should do so before the first snowfall.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts