Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
I have the 2018 CRV Touring. The vehicle is 3 years old. Having read several posts regarding the life of the battery I am thinking about having the battery replaced, as preventative maintenance and a peace of mind. I have not had any battery problems and wondering if it is reasonable to swap out for a new one before I do have issues. Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Definitely yes. I have a 2018 EXL, it has 17,000 miles. I faithfully used a battery tender when not going to be driven a while. I checked the water. My wife drove it about 250 miles to visit our daughter. Parked at her house and when she went to head to the motel in the evening the battery was completely dead. Luckily it was about 2 blocks from a Les Schwab tire and battery center and they delivered a new battery. As a side note, all the warning lights were still on when the new battery was put in. Luckily after driving about 15 minutes the lights went off. I felt frustrated not being there to help her. I've since ordered a lithium jumper pack to keep in the car. I'm glad she wasn't somewhere else when the battery died.

·
Registered
626 Posts
And YES, if you had been more diligent about checking the electrolyte in the battery, you certainly would have gotten more life out of the old battery. No other issues to worry about...the dash indicators will go out after the electronics re-initialize.

<SOAP BOX>

Warm weather weakens lead-acid batteries (the electrolyte evaporates, especially with the electrical demands of A/C with the radiator and interior fans running). Then, the weak batteries fail when the ambient temperature drops.

Is there any wonder that MANY battery topics have been posted recently? you only need to look at the maps of fall foliage to predict where the battery Topics will begin. :p :)

<OFF SOAP BOX>>
I kept the electrolyte checked on mine and it went out in 3 1/2 years. You never know. Also my Honda dealer said they do not check battery fluid levels when they service your car. That is really sad.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts