Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 40 of 97 Posts

Registered
2018 CRV Touring AWD
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thank you everyone for your input and friendly approach. The new battery is in ! Rather than waiting for a punch in the nose -- I threw the first punch and it's a knock out :). Happy and peace of mind is worth the $$. Thank you to all.

Registered
2021 Honda CRV Sport
Im curious on this topic. I am of the school not to change the battery until it starts to fade or die.
That being said, it gets super cold here. At low temperatures physics on the car get very weird. Especially the electronics. I am intrigued to see how my new CRV holds up in a cold snap at -30c.
Maybe something to report back on in the next few months. :unsure:

Registered
There are two pathways of "best practice" available here.

1) if you are in the ignore the battery until it dies crowd, then it would be prudent to replace your battery every 3 years if it is a 51R. The newer H5 batteries in the 1.5T 2020/2021s should be good for more like 4+ years with this approach (it is an Enhanced Flooded Cell battery with plenty of spare reserve charge for a 1.5T).
Will the H5 fit in the 2017? Or just get a 51R? My '17 will be heading into its 5th winter in a few months (Chicago area). Maybe I should swap it this fall. But battery check 3 weeks ago during oil change indicated it was fine.

Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
Will the H5 fit in the 2017? Or just get a 51R?
I noted the size difference on the Interstate Battery site. They appear to be quite different sizes, especially HEIGHT.

H5:

51R:

Hopefully, someone with a 2017 and a 2020+ will post pictures to see how the two different batteries are mounted.
The difference in CCA is 40 CCA.

Registered
Hopefully, someone with a 2017 and a 2020+ will post pictures to see how the two different batteries are mounted.
Thanks. I can take a look tonight or tomorrow since we have a 17 and 20 in our household. Kid took the 17 to work already for the day.

Premium Member
We have rated batteries for 10 Years of Shelf life, and we replace batteries out Each year, they are not your typical batteries. So yes you can Keep the old as a spare and replace with a new one. its all you, till that day it dies .

Super Moderator
2007 Accord EX 2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
We have rated batteries for 10 Years of Shelf life, and we replace batteries out Each year, they are not your typical batteries.
Not typical? What are they then?
Even the aircraft batteries I have been looking into don't have a 10-year shelf life.

Registered
Did you replace it yourself or did you have a service do it for you ?
The reason I ask is that I want to change MY battery (2018 CR).
It's looks easy enough but I'm unsure what to expect after the jon is done.
Accoringy .....
If you did it yourself, did you lose any functinality anywhere, due to the vehicle being without power for a perior of time) ?
Did you need to re-enter and code of any sort ?
How about the radio stations, phone contacts bluetooth pairing. Did you lose any of that ?
Did you have any light on the dash that went away after a coule of miles driving ?

Thanks

Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
You do not loose any settings, you will have a bunch of warnings when you start the car. This is normal and will happen every time power is lost. Just drive the car and the warnings will clear.

Registered
2018 CRV Touring AWD
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Did you replace it yourself or did you have a service do it for you ?
The reason I ask is that I want to change MY battery (2018 CR).
It's looks easy enough but I'm unsure what to expect after the jon is done.
Accoringy .....
If you did it yourself, did you lose any functinality anywhere, due to the vehicle being without power for a perior of time) ?
Did you need to re-enter and code of any sort ?
How about the radio stations, phone contacts bluetooth pairing. Did you lose any of that ?
Did you have any light on the dash that went away after a coule of miles driving ?

Thanks
I did not replace the battery myself. I took it to a local battery/tire business -- not the dealership. They put the vehicle on a memory stick so nothing was lost while the battery was changeed. Also, there were no warning or dash lights on after the battery change was completed. They simply changed the battery, pulled it out of the shop and away I went. FYI -- this is the best way for a guy, like me, who was born with 10 thumbs, two left hands and no interest at all in mechanics.
Have a great day.

Registered
2021 CRV EXL FWD 1.5L
We have rated batteries for 10 Years of Shelf life, and we replace batteries out Each year, they are not your typical batteries. So yes you can Keep the old as a spare and replace with a new one. its all you, till that day it dies .
My personal observation of owning vehicles over the past 1/2 century is that more perfectly good batterys are replaced than need be. 2 cases in point 2004 4runner with panasonic battery driven in cold Colorado from Dec 03 to June 11, in hot Arizona until I sold it ( mistake ) in Nov 13, 04 to 13, 9 years battery was good at time of sale. 02 Civic wifes car don't remember what brand it came with but was still ok when traded for a 13 CRV, 11 years. Maybe we just have really good luck but I think not.

Premium Member
My personal observation of owning vehicles over the past 1/2 century is that more perfectly good batterys are replaced than need be. 2 cases in point 2004 4runner with panasonic battery driven in cold Colorado from Dec 03 to June 11, in hot Arizona until I sold it ( mistake ) in Nov 13, 04 to 13, 9 years battery was good at time of sale. 02 Civic wifes car don't remember what brand it came with but was still ok when traded for a 13 CRV, 11 years. Maybe we just have really good luck but I think not.
They changed the way batteries are made today.

Premium Member
Not typical? What are they then?
Even the aircraft batteries I have been looking into don't have a 10-year shelf life.
As that is in my line of work. wish i could share more. even your AA batterys got a shelf life of a nmber of years

Premium Member
Loved my Panasonic in my Gen 2, outlasted any battery today @glbarr

Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
Is your opion that batterys are better or worse today than they were 10-15 years ago?
I actually believe that batteries are better than 10-15 years ago, just due to consolidation in the industry under very large corporations (which brings scalability and improved manufacturing processes), and the fact that automation in manufacturing benefits devices like vehicle starter batteries.

BUT..... two things to understand:

1) we as consumers have been lead down the path of thinking all starter batteries are "maintenance free" when in reality a majority of batteries in use continue to be flooded cell designs, and they do slowly loose water from the electrolyte over time. You will get longer life from a battery (similar to the "old days") if you maintain them well. Keep in mind.. this is not an electrical or mechanical device.. it is a chemical device, and all the various challenges of environment and chemistry come into play. A battery literally begins destroying itself as soon as it is loaded with electrolyte, and the only clear mitigation of this is to keep it fully charged and the electrolyte at full capacity. A low charge state (even 90%) begins to accelerate the chemical destruction of the plates in the battery, and Hondas are very often below full charge when you park and turn them off (due to the way the dual charge modes work on the charger).

Bottom line... maintain your battery for maximum life span and you will get life spans comparable to 10 years ago.

2) The demand from modern motor vehicles on their starter batteries is much harder on the batteries. Not in terms of engine start, but rather all the various electronics in modern vehicles, all of which draw a small amount of current even when powered down. So.. a decade ago.. typical parasitic drain on a battery was 5-10 ma. Today, on a current model Honda with a 1.5T engine.... the normal parasitic drain is ~40-50 ma.... and yet until recently Honda continued it's long practice of using the 51R battery (for cost, weight, and compact sizing). As of 2018 on the Accords and 2020 on the CRVs... they are equipped with a battery much better suited for the parasitic load demands.

So, at the end of the day, given most owners ignore their battery until it fails..... the net effect in the industry is what appears to be shorter overall average battery life. On average, the electrolyte will completely dry up in one or more cells in a flooded cell battery if it is never checked and topped up... and that can happen as quickly as a year, or can take several years, depending on ambient driving conditions.

I do believe you can in most cases get 6+ years out of a 51R in a generation5 CRV, if the battery is properly monitored and maintained, and I am currently running my 2017 as a test case demonstration. Heading for 5 years now, and still tested last week as good, and with a CCA still running at 115% of spec. This battery has actually gotten slightly better over time, probably due to the long slow saturation charges and maintaining of charge during the pandemic with my NOCO5.

Super Moderator
Will the H5 fit in the 2017? Or just get a 51R? My '17 will be heading into its 5th winter in a few months (Chicago area). Maybe I should swap it this fall. But battery check 3 weeks ago during oil change indicated it was fine.
I believe the H5s are almost identical in physical dimensions to the popular 51R replacement by members here who choose to upsize in the past "Group24 battery group".

And clearly, they will fit, because they are being installed in 2020 and 2021 CRVs. But as with the group24, it is likely you may need a new battery tray and hold down hardware is all. Upgrading the mounting is pretty easy and inexpensive to do if you want to upgrade battery size. You can find threads in the forum here discussing the steps to upsize to a group 24, and an H5 would be equally simple. I would recommend the H5 over the Group24 as the H5s used an advanced plate technology and are classified as Enhanced Flooded Cell Batter (EFB) batteries.

Personally, I am fine with a 51R in my CRV, and it is doing great. But I also nurture the starter batteries in our vehicles, which does make a difference. If I was a "forget it until it fails" owner.. I would definitely upsize to an H5 or Group24. (y)

Super Moderator
I noted the size difference on the Interstate Battery site. They appear to be quite different sizes, especially HEIGHT.

H5:

51R:

Just to note: That particular 51R from Interstate has a higher CCA spec than the more common after markets and OEMs. There appear to be two tiers of 51Rs in the market, with one being a 450ish CCA, and the other tier being a 500ish CCA.

I noted this because if an owner wanted to stick with a 51R for simplicity, definitely shop for a higher tier 51R that is spec'ed similar to the Interstate battery in the link above.

Registered
I have the 2018 CRV Touring. The vehicle is 3 years old. Having read several posts regarding the life of the battery I am thinking about having the battery replaced, as preventative maintenance and a peace of mind. I have not had any battery problems and wondering if it is reasonable to swap out for a new one before I do have issues. Your thoughts would be appreciated.
I remember when I had my first generation 1998 series CRV, the battery lasted 7 years. Honda at that time used Panasonic Batteries. Since then you will get probably only 3 years from the OEM battery now. You should be able to do a load test on it and periodic checks using a multimeter but I think it is a good move to swap out now yes. If you are in the states, Walmart's Everstart Gold is a nice one I have used and it's now on it's forth year and no issues.

21 - 40 of 97 Posts