Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
61 - 80 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the 2018 CRV Touring. The vehicle is 3 years old. Having read several posts regarding the life of the battery I am thinking about having the battery replaced, as preventative maintenance and a peace of mind. I have not had any battery problems and wondering if it is reasonable to swap out for a new one before I do have issues. Your thoughts would be appreciated.
You can take your vehicle to an Autozone and they will test your battery for you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the 2018 CRV Touring. The vehicle is 3 years old. Having read several posts regarding the life of the battery I am thinking about having the battery replaced, as preventative maintenance and a peace of mind. I have not had any battery problems and wondering if it is reasonable to swap out for a new one before I do have issues. Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Our 2018 CR-V EX had NO battery problems until ONE day...after the car had been started several times and had been driven for about 45 minutes before parking to shop. When we went to leave, the battery would not turn the car over and I had to use my little jump-start device to get the car going. I thought that maybe I'd left something "ON" and didn't pay attention to beeps and all as I left the car in the parking lot...that was NOT the case.

I noticed, also that the brake pedal REALLY "kicked back" when I was trying to start it with the "dead" battery. I had to jump start it a few more times while I waited to find a battery near me. A new battery took care of the situation.

As far as answering your question about keeping or replacing...I'd get the battery tested under load, etc (Honda dealer will know how to do it for sure!), and see what they say.

The Honda Battery with installation would've been >$200...I bought a 5 yr battery at Walmart for $130 plus tax (3 yr free replacement and-I believe-2 yr pro-rated replacement after that.

It was easy to install myself and all I had to do afterwards was to take the old battery back to Walmart for a refund for not having an exchange battery ready to give to them when I purchased the new battery.

·
Registered
2017 CR-V EX-L w/ NAV
994 Posts
The LAST battery I would put in would be the Honda brand battery. Too much money and too many others out there that are far better.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I replaced our 2014 CR-V battery last fall, just to be safe, before heading out in our RV (towing the CR-V) for six months. But, the 2014 battery had shown NO signs of having any problems at all.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just replaced the 51R battery with a 24F battery in my 2018 CR-V Touring that will be 3 years old on November 2. Bought the Odyssey battery case, base, top bracket and J bolts. Put the existing insulation wrap in a vise and put a crease in it to match the width of the 24F battery. It is a snug fit but it fits. Info on the process and YouTube videos are discussed in other posts on this site. Have been replacing car batteries every 3 years for decades and have never had to experience a dead battery. I don't believe in pushing Murphy's Law and getting stranded in the middle of nowhere.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I would say depends on the mileage. Having the vehicle sit and driving 3,000 miles a year, sure you can kill it in 3 years. No reason why you can’t get 4/5 out of it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had a 2007, I now have a 2017, on the 2007 I had to replace the battery several time, belive there was a short somewhere in the system, had issue at the end of having to replace the lights blubs, they would burn out all the time.

on my 2017 I have had for a little of 3 YRS, & have already replace the battery twice, so yes I would recommend to replace the battery.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 2018 CR-V EX-L just had the battery fail at 45,000 miles and 3.75 years. We're in the south, which is tougher on batteries. I believe enough water evaporated for the battery to simply quit. It basically died overnight. Fine at night, totally dead and non-recoverable in the morning. When I jumped it, I got about a dozen major failures described on the information panel. Don't panic, that is all caused by low voltage and loss of initialization. Once the new battery was in, drive for a few hundred yards and all the errors disappear. Most locations wanted $200 for a battery. I bought one at Walmart for a little over $100. I've had very good service from Walmart batteries in the past.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Accord EX 2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
3,608 Posts
I would buy a small jump starter with a lithium-ion battery instead. They work very well and are great to have in the trunk anyway. They are not much larger than a VHS tape and can be bought for less than $50.
I agree, though most are lithium polymer, and so will lose some charge with time.
I picked one up for $15 at a pawn shop, seems to work well.
I didn't get it to jump my hybrid, I got it to jump anyone I encounter who might need a jump, as I am not willing to jump FROM the hybrid.
The manual gives instructions on jumping TO the hybrid, but it's silent on jumping FROM it.
Those units put out extremely dirty "DC", suitable for a starter motor but not a computer.

·
Registered
2017 CRV EX 1.5L Turbo
55 Posts
We bought our '17 new in June of '17, I replaced the battery in March of this year. Had no issues prior other than one case of going dead with no apparent reasoning. I did have it tested, it was fine, but since it was already 4 years old, I opted to replace. At the time I recall many people saying 3 years is a good time to replace. The battery in my '05 forester lasted 11 years. The battery in my '09 forester lasted about 6 years.

·
Registered
2020 Honda CR-V EX AWD
50 Posts
Dealer service department told me that average battery life last 3 years and change every 3 years

·
Registered
150 Posts
We have two Tourings. My wife's '17 went dead last year at the 3 year mark and my '18 battery just recently went toes up suddenly... at 3 years. It's was literally fine one day, and would barely power ON the vehicle the next.

I replaced them both with the Optima Yellowtop AGM battery. We've been using Optima's literally for decades and they have been extremely reliable.

The one in our 2000 Accord Coupe that the kids use is over 11 years old and is going strong.

I highly recommend getting ahead on your battery since 3 years is the max life we got out of ours and replace it with the Optima!

Cheers!

·
Registered
9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am not the CRV expert...but I wouldn't change out the battery until I had some indication that it was nearing end of life.

Edit: But there is usually not much cold weather where i live ...and there are at least a dozen places to get a battery within 10 minutes of where i live.
For us, the first indication that the battery was nearing end of life was when the car did not start at the grocery store. It worked fine.....until it didn't.

We are also in a warm climate. Luckily somebody in the lot gave us a jump and we were able to drive to the auto parts store and get a new battery.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I also own a 2018 CRV and had not problems starting my car. I left last week on a trip pulling a trailer and the next morning at the campground the car wouldn't start. Only the lights flickered. I jumped it with a booster battery and traveled on. Unhooked the trailer and it barely started. I drive into town where it was confirmed the battery was at 10 volts and dropped rapidly. Be aware that pulling the battery will mess with all the computers. Honda hides this info in the manual. They have an arcane recommendation to reset by coasting, turning off and waiting etc. I drive 3 miles came back shut it off and the idiot warnings stopped. You can then manually reset the tire pressure monitor.

·
Registered
43 Posts
https: //www.amazon.com/dp/B00IZFNJ6Y/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_5PGF5NWAPNEWR1Z1MF05
https: //www.amazon.com/dp/B014T7HL3I/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_YATQ97MPNX769BBS80W1

these things will give you an idea of what the overall health of your battery has. The load tester is more of a direct measurement, while the conductance tester is more of an indirect test. The conductance tester does give you a CCA number to compare to the sticker on the battery label. Plus it doesn’t get hot like a load tester and they will also give you a poor mans alternator and starter test.

I usually check our batteries once a year. If the CCA drops below 80%,
The load tester costs $75, the battery tester $50.
I don't know how much a tow truck outfit charges to come out and give you a jump. $50?
A new Walmart Everstart Maxx battery costs $100. You are going to have to buy a new battery anyway in 3-4 years, so why spend as much or more for the testers to squeeze another year or so out of it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Rob1 2015 EX
Yes especially if you live in a cold climate. When my battery died I learned that Honda was using warm climate batteries in most of the vehicles. Cold climates demand cold cranking amps about 700. 750 cold cranking amps was the average chosen.

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,039 Posts
Rob1 2015 EX
Yes especially if you live in a cold climate. When my battery died I learned that Honda was using warm climate batteries in most of the vehicles. Cold climates demand cold cranking amps about 700. 750 cold cranking amps was the average chosen.
Honda uses warm climate batteries in new CR-Vs that are delivered to people who live in cold climates, and they use cold climate batteries where people live in warm climates.
Disclaimer, I am just kidding. :) ROFL

THIS of course is NOT the case, as all new non-hybrid CR-Vs delivered in the US get the same battery.

Honestly, I cannot believe how many posts/threads we have on batteries!!!
It is really very simple.

It seems that current (pun intended) CR-V batteries last about 3 years if not "maintained".
If you do not want to go out one day to a dead battery, either "maintain" it or replace it at about the 3 year point.
Checking the water level and keeping it fill with distilled water is the easiest and first line of maintenance.
Second line is buying and using a physical "maintainer" which requires an electrical outlet near the car. Obviously, not all have this so there are some solar options available.

IF you are OK with, and can deal with the possibility that you will one day, without warning, go out to find that your CR-V will not start, then do nothing.

Reactions: Carbuff2

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
If I recall correctly, our '17's battery failed without warning around the 1-1.5 yr mark. The dealer replaced it with a genuine Honda battery and it's 100 month limited warranty label. That one failed yesterday without warning too. The dealership said the extended warranty won't cover the 2nd battery and it would be around $265 to replace. I repeatedly asked him about the Honda genuine 100 month limited warranty and he said Honda won't cover it. The service rep said I needed to purchase an extended warranty on the battery. Right! I saved some time and frustration and installed an AGM instead.

61 - 80 of 97 Posts