Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Would it be a good move to replace the battery?

13K views 96 replies 51 participants last post by  Garfy 
#1 ·
I have the 2018 CRV Touring. The vehicle is 3 years old. Having read several posts regarding the life of the battery I am thinking about having the battery replaced, as preventative maintenance and a peace of mind. I have not had any battery problems and wondering if it is reasonable to swap out for a new one before I do have issues. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

#86 ·
My 2018 CRV is a few months shy of three (3) years old. Went to start it a few days ago, and had every warning light go on - bells and buzzers alarming, and then click - car would not start. Long story short, put new battery in, and car started fine and has been OK since then. Battery was OEM Honda. The next day, I checked voltage on the old battery - 11.90 VDC - more importantly - there was little-to-no water in cells. I know I should have been more diligent in car maintenance. We've experienced a very hot summer and the CR-V tends to run very warm. Would appreciate some input- does the vehicle need checked over by Honda - or is this a dead or poor condition battery issue? thank you. (the vehicle has 41,000 miles).

#88 ·
Your posting says that you put in a new battery -- which was about the time to do so. I have a 2018 model and recently replaced my battery which was not giving me problems but elected to do so as preventative measures. Just keep an eye on the fluids in the battery like you do all your other fluid levels.

#89 ·
And YES, if you had been more diligent about checking the electrolyte in the battery, you certainly would have gotten more life out of the old battery. No other issues to worry about...the dash indicators will go out after the electronics re-initialize.

<SOAP BOX>

Warm weather weakens lead-acid batteries (the electrolyte evaporates, especially with the electrical demands of A/C with the radiator and interior fans running). Then, the weak batteries fail when the ambient temperature drops.

Is there any wonder that MANY battery topics have been posted recently? you only need to look at the maps of fall foliage to predict where the battery Topics will begin. :p :)

<OFF SOAP BOX>>

#91 ·
And YES, if you had been more diligent about checking the electrolyte in the battery, you certainly would have gotten more life out of the old battery. No other issues to worry about...the dash indicators will go out after the electronics re-initialize.

<SOAP BOX>

Warm weather weakens lead-acid batteries (the electrolyte evaporates, especially with the electrical demands of A/C with the radiator and interior fans running). Then, the weak batteries fail when the ambient temperature drops.

Is there any wonder that MANY battery topics have been posted recently? you only need to look at the maps of fall foliage to predict where the battery Topics will begin. :p :)

<OFF SOAP BOX>>
I kept the electrolyte checked on mine and it went out in 3 1/2 years. You never know. Also my Honda dealer said they do not check battery fluid levels when they service your car. That is really sad.

#97 ·
There are a number of battery testers that work on a capacitance/conductive test method rather than the "old school" load test. While they don't put a heavy load on the battery, they seem to be fairly accurate in detecting a battery that's on it's "last leg" prior to not cranking the engine over anymore. I have one made by Solar that costs about $50; it allows you to test standard flooded wet cell auto batteries, gel cells, SLA, AGM spiral, etc. You specify the rating by CCA, DIN, etc. I found most batteries when new to be a lot higher than their rated capacity (ie. a 450 CCA battery will test at 525 CCA or higher when new) and once the battery tests below the rated CCA, it's degrading. Although a 450 CCA battery will indicate as "good" at 390 CCA, I would begin thinking about replacing it.

In the case of Honda branded OEM batteries, I would definitely use the above criteria because despite it saying "100-month warranty" on the battery label, I've rarely found them to last beyond 4 years in general; at least on my Fits they don't. On the other hand, my 2012 Fit has an Interstate MTP-151R which has a 5 year warranty on it and I'm already at 5-1/2 years and it's still working fine (my last test on it did show 350 CCA on a rated 370 CCA so it's going to fail soon but it's already lasted beyond the stated warranty period).

I would seriously think about replacing the battery soon as we're approaching the winter season and if it snows a lot where you live, you should do so before the first snowfall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.