Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • Take a moment to enter our new BBQ contest here for a chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card! The contest ends on June 30th, so don't delay!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Situation: Have a lead on a 2008 EX-L, fully loaded. Was the bequeathed personal property of a man here in South Texas who got it from his father in Kansas. It has been sitting in a garage for five years on flat tires. I have no idea of how much gas is in it. Battery dead. The person just wants it out of his garage. I am looking for a third CRV for my family, I have a 2007 and my daughter has a very sturdy 2004.

I am not sure where to even start possibly trying to get this one to run other than:

drain gas tank
drain/fill basically all fluids that are in the car
prime and lube pistons before even thinking about starting
Foggy Oil, Miracle Oil, SeaFoam……..I have heard them all.

I asked the mechanic I have been using for the last 15 years and he said if it were him he would not touch it.

Need some advice.

Thanks,

Roman

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX FWD
2,941 Posts
It's free, so yes I would take it and bring it back to life.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am hearing different opinions on if the gas may have gelled and varnished in the tank and whether I am just waiting for problems to occur.
However, as it is a Honda, I am hoping I can Frankenstein it back to life.

Any mechanical advise you can give?

R

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX FWD
2,941 Posts
I am hearing different opinions on if the gas may have gelled and varnished in the tank and whether I am just waiting for problems to occur.
However, as it is a Honda, I am hoping I can Frankenstein it back to life.

Any mechanical advise you can give?

R
Take it, drain the gas tank, replace all fluids, insect the condition of all hoses, replace serpentine belt, inspect brake lines, replace the engine and pollen filter, replace spark plugs, and you should be set.

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX FWD
2,941 Posts
Shoot, I'm in South Texas an I'd take it for free if you don't want it lol.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
11,115 Posts
I'd take it.

In the collector car world, it's not unheard of for a car to sit 10, 15 years sometimes. As stated, you need to do some preventative maintenance and checks...also, expect a 'breaking in' period wherein issues could come forward.

But after a few months/1000 miles of regular driving you will have a nice vehicle.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,669 Posts
I would say it depends on how many miles it has on it and it's condition. If it has reasonable mileage and no untoward damage, the cost of a set of tires and a battery and the work to get it running would not be enough to make it a bad deal. But, uh, don't forget about snake removal. A nice '08 cleaned up has a fairly decent value, so unless you ran into a serious unforeseen issue, even engine replacement would not be a prohibiting cost.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,910 Posts
That's a good question..... how many miles it got?

Sent from my mobile device
There is good money to be made here likely low miles. It just needs to be coaxed out of its slumber

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
11,115 Posts
Advise:

Get a different mechanic!
I can see where a mechanic would not want to recommend a 'garage find'. It would cost some $$ to whip the vehicle into shape, then as I said, there would be a period where more stuff could go wrong.

Not the greatest helper for a business' reputation...

·
Registered
2011 CR-V LX 2wd White / 2003 Suzuki XL_7 Limited 4x4
65 Posts
Take it! Even if it couldn't be convinced to run again (and I'm sure that it will) you could always sell it / part it out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts