Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum.
I wrecked my 08 last week and am looking to replace it with another gen 3 CR-V. I had the EX model and liked the cargo shelf. Since I don't know what my next purchase will be in the '08-'11 range, should I remove the cargo shelf before insurance takes the car? If I end up with a 2009 LX, for instance, would my shelf fit?
Also, I LOVED my 2008 which I bought 3 years ago. Are the 09-11s just as good? Anything to be on the lookout for?

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
3,404 Posts
That cargo shelf should fit any Gen3, so, yes, I would. Sorry to hear about the crash. I hate when that happens. There are some slight changes between the '07-'09 and '10'11 models, mostly engine related. I would prefer the '07-'09 range over the '10-'11's as the later ones had some known issues with piston ring wear that caused excessive oil consumption. When this occurs, it is generally at around or over 100k miles. Not all of them, just some. The other main difference I know of is that the '10-'11's have wider armrests on the seats, which are a nice improvement. Good luck in your search, and let us know what you bring home!

Reactions: KatiefromHaiti

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
The 2007-2009 are pretty much identical. The 2010-2011 get a higher output engine and a few external appearance changes (new hood, grill, bumpers, etc.) and feature updates like an improved radio. Interior trim parts usually remain the same.

One way to check is to visit one of the Honda parts sites, and look up the Honda part number for the rear package shelf (located under Interior/Bumper --> Tailgate Lining)--they should be exactly the same, except for the last two letters which indicate color. This is for the 2009l; I checked the 2011 and the part numbers are identical:

The only issue with the cargo shelf is the color--the 3rd gen came in black, grey and tan interior colors. You would either have to live with a color difference or find one with the same interior color. Obviously you don't want to buy one of these from a dealer. ? But I am sure salvage yards have the other colors for a lot less money.

If you had the shelf in the EX, then by purchasing an EX or EX-L, you will (hopefully) get another shelf unless someone removed it or the shelf is in poor condition. Worst case? Keep yours, and sell the spare on Craigslist if your replacement CR-V comes with a shelf.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I looked up one of the part numbers Wildcat posted. It's showing as fitting all EX, EX-L, and Nav CR-Vs from 2007 thru 2011.

Of course the LX did not get the shelf as standard equipment, so I checked the parts for the side linings on each side of the cargo area, and they are the same for all LX, EX, EX-L and Nav CR-Vs from 2007-2011. So the shelf should fit all CR-Vs 2007 thru 2011.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That cargo shelf should fit any Gen3, so, yes, I would. Sorry to hear about the crash. I hate when that happens. There are some slight changes between the '07-'09 and '10'11 models, mostly engine related. I would prefer the '07-'09 range over the '10-'11's as the later ones had some known issues with piston ring wear that caused excessive oil consumption. When this occurs, it is generally at around or over 100k miles. Not all of them, just some. The other main difference I know of is that the '10-'11's have wider armrests on the seats, which are a nice improvement. Good luck in your search, and let us know what you bring home!
I'm looking at a 2007 EX-L with about 98,000 miles. Don't NEED the upgrades, but having navigation would be nice, unless the system is a pain to use. Any idea if it's "clunky" to use?

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
There are a few threads about the Honda navigation system, and the problems with outdated maps and the difficulty and cost of upgrading.

I have a Garmin GPS that has lifetime free upgrades to the software and maps, I just have to plug it in to my computer using the special Garmin USB cable that it came with, and have the Garmin Express software installed on the computer. The Garmin Express software looks at the software and map versions that are on the GPS device, and lets me know if any updates are available.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. I guess I don't know enough about the nav system. All I really need is bluetooth so I can use my phone for maps, but I'm not sure if a 2007 EX-L comes with BT. May have to replace the radio.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
You can find the Owners and Navigation Manuals for the 2007 US CR-V here:

I did a quick search through both, and neither has a reference to "bluetooth".

The 2010 CR-V Owners Manual has a reference to Bluetooth, but the 2009 Owners Manual does not.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Thanks. I guess I don't know enough about the nav system. All I really need is bluetooth so I can use my phone for maps, but I'm not sure if a 2007 EX-L comes with BT. May have to replace the radio.
To better answer your questions...

The EX-L also gives you dual climate controls, driver and passenger. That is the main reason I wanted the EX-L. Trust me, when your better half goes through that "change of life," where hot flashes and freezing cold happen within minutes of each other, I am very thankful for this feature. :D

For the nav system, don't bother. Honda's navigation systems have been clunky, and the updates require expensive DVDs to get the latest maps. In some cars like the Acura TSX, if the DVD reader fails, you cannot even operate the climate controls since they operate off the same screen. The only fix there is to have Alpine repair the DVD reader. At least the CR-V separates the two. The 2007-2009 CR-Vs never came with Bluetooth in the US either.

Honestly, I'd replace the head unit with an aftermarket. I'm using one of the Pioneer units that was a current model in 2016 (AVH-4200NEX). There are newer models available now, and more manufacturers like Kenwood, Alpine and JVC offer units with Bluetooth that also will give you navigation via Android Auto or CarPlay. Since Android Auto uses Google Maps which will also provide live traffic (something Honda's nav systems won't do unless they are the more advanced models that tie into SiriusXM's traffic data), and no map updates needed, it is cost effective in not needing updates via DVD. I did my own install on the head unit, so I have no idea how much a store would charge to install it. The head unit will also need the interface adapter so you can retain your steering wheel controls for the radio, and a dash install kit that provides a trim ring around the new head unit.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Trust me, when your better half goes through that "change of life," where hot flashes and freezing cold happen within minutes of each other, I am very thankful for this feature. :D
Uhhh...ummm...did you not notice the person you are responding too is "Katie from Haiti"? ?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LOL no problem, Grateful for the info. Since I don't care about dual climate controls or leather seats and will probably get an after market radio for BT, sounds like I would be fine with the EX if I can find one in the 07-09 range. Since y'all are so helpful, here's my other thing I'm wondering about: the 08 I wrecked was front wheel drive. We live in Michigan. Is it worth it to look for a "4WD" option for my replacement? And would I still want snow tires on the car if I did get 4wd?

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I'm a fan of the RT4WD/AWD system in the CR-V, but yes, you will still need tires that will do well in snow and ice.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To better answer your questions...

The EX-L also gives you dual climate controls, driver and passenger. That is the main reason I wanted the EX-L. Trust me, when your better half goes through that "change of life," where hot flashes and freezing cold happen within minutes of each other, I am very thankful for this feature. :D

For the nav system, don't bother. Honda's navigation systems have been clunky, and the updates require expensive DVDs to get the latest maps. In some cars like the Acura TSX, if the DVD reader fails, you cannot even operate the climate controls since they operate off the same screen. The only fix there is to have Alpine repair the DVD reader. At least the CR-V separates the two. The 2007-2009 CR-Vs never came with Bluetooth in the US either.

Honestly, I'd replace the head unit with an aftermarket. I'm using one of the Pioneer units that was a current model in 2016 (AVH-4200NEX). There are newer models available now, and more manufacturers like Kenwood, Alpine and JVC offer units with Bluetooth that also will give you navigation via Android Auto or CarPlay. Since Android Auto uses Google Maps which will also provide live traffic (something Honda's nav systems won't do unless they are the more advanced models that tie into SiriusXM's traffic data), and no map updates needed, it is cost effective in not needing updates via DVD. I did my own install on the head unit, so I have no idea how much a store would charge to install it. The head unit will also need the interface adapter so you can retain your steering wheel controls for the radio, and a dash install kit that provides a trim ring around the new head unit.
Wildcat: I have narrowed it down to two 2007 EX-Ls, one has the nav system and back up camera & one doesn't. If I don't want to use the map system, can I remove the dvd system that is stored in the console? What are my options? I like that vehicle better because it has 30,000 fewer miles . .. but want to add a Bluetooth adapter or after market radio if that's possible, so I can get BT.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I am speaking generally here - had a 2009 Subaru with navigation. No direct experience with a Honda system from this era.

I would absolutely add a new head unit with the features you want. Apple car play/Andriod auto with BT makes the driving experience so much more seamless.

OEM Nav units are very expensive to keep updated and you are talking about processors an graphics that are 10-12 years old. Even with the updated maps these systems are still slow, cumbersome and generally offer a pretty poor experience compared to modern systems.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Wildcat: I have narrowed it down to two 2007 EX-Ls, one has the nav system and back up camera & one doesn't. If I don't want to use the map system, can I remove the dvd system that is stored in the console? What are my options? I like that vehicle better because it has 30,000 fewer miles . .. but want to add a Bluetooth adapter or after market radio if that's possible, so I can get BT.
I think that with the nav CR-Vs, the unit in the center console (you're referring to the one between the front seats, correct?) is actually a 6-CD changer. Normally the non-nav CR-Vs have the CD changer in the dash as part of the main player (you slot feed them in one at a time...horror of horrors, I found a Donny Osmond CD in mine after I bought it ?).

The center console, if it does not have the CD changer, has a pocket in its place. I store several dollars in loose silver coins and $1 bills for parking and tolls, and DIY car washes. If you remove that player, you'll be left with a hole in the console.

Beyond that, sure, it's easy enough to do either of what you are asking. There are some aftermarket Bluetooth modules that you can add to a factory radio. Crutchfield probably would be the best place to look for that, since you can enter your vehicle and see what is available. (I usually find items there and then shop them around to see where I can find them less expensive.) These modules would require some work behind the dashboard but, luckily, it's like just a matter of inserting them between harnesses so they might be plug-and-play.

My preferred option was to take out the factory radio (I did not have a nav-equipped model) and install aftermarket. I installed a Pioneer AVH-4200NEX which is now a few years old. There are now newer models, some without disc players (since many of us now use USB sticks, SD cards or Bluetooth to play music in the car--I haven't used CDs in the car since 2012). Kenwood and Alpine also have in-dash units like Pioneer that will not only give you Bluetooth but will give you Android Auto and CarPlay. Alpine even has a clever player now that is very slim, to which you can dock a compatible power amplifier on the back, and it will fit in the same space as the old factory radio.

With harnesses (or a steering wheel kit) and a dash kit from Metra, you can find a really nice double-DIN-sized head unit that will give you a touchscreen and will be better the factory system. I'm thinking the navigation/radio unit should also have speaker output (I would have to check), so installing a radio should be as easy as plugging in the various harnesses and steering wheel adapter kit.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
OEM Nav units are very expensive to keep updated and you are talking about processors an graphics that are 10-12 years old. Even with the updated maps these systems are still slow, cumbersome and generally offer a pretty poor experience compared to modern systems.
Yes! And Honda's navigation updates are on DVD, and are expensive. I'm also wary of what happens when the nav DVD reader goes bad. I'm shopping for a TSX for my kiddo, and I'm specifically avoiding the nav units since the first-gen TSX integrated the climate controls with the nav system, so when the reader goes bad, the whole thing goes dead and you can't adjust the temperature inside.

What's worse is that Metra only has one dash kit for it, and even in non-nav TSXes, the climate controls are all part of the center stack, and they provide an aftermarket set of controls that are very poor in quality. Aside from hacking up the center stack to install your own radio (and using fiberglass to build up the opening to fit a double-DIN radio), the only other option is a no-name Chinesium touch screen in-dash from Ali Express that runs Android, which I doubt is all that good quality (and good luck with warranty coverage). And it runs full Android, so you're not really getting the Android Auto experience (they are doing away with the Android Auto app that you can run on phones or tablets). Still, it looks nice, it adds its own climate controls, and it's kind of tempting nonetheless.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am speaking generally here - had a 2009 Subaru with navigation. No direct experience with a Honda system from this era.

I would absolutely add a new head unit with the features you want. Apple car play/Andriod auto with BT makes the driving experience so much more seamless.

Thanks. Yes, I was NOT thinking of utilizing the OEM maps LOL. Some good suggestions here.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes! And Honda's navigation updates are on DVD, and are expensive. I'm also wary of what happens when the nav DVD reader goes bad. I'm shopping for a TSX for my kiddo, and I'm specifically avoiding the nav units since the first-gen TSX integrated the climate controls with the nav system, so when the reader goes bad, the whole thing goes dead and you can't adjust the temperature inside.

What's worse is that Metra only has one dash kit for it, and even in non-nav TSXes, the climate controls are all part of the center stack, and they provide an aftermarket set of controls that are very poor in quality. Aside from hacking up the center stack to install your own radio (and using fiberglass to build up the opening to fit a double-DIN radio), the only other option is a no-name Chinesium touch screen in-dash from Ali Express that runs Android, which I doubt is all that good quality (and good luck with warranty coverage). And it runs full Android, so you're not really getting the Android Auto experience (they are doing away with the Android Auto app that you can run on phones or tablets). Still, it looks nice, it adds its own climate controls, and it's kind of tempting nonetheless.
Wildcat, you lost the newbie here. What is a TSX? So are you saying a 2007 EX-L with Nav is a car to avoid? Are the climate controls also on the screen? It does not appear that way on this car, from what I can tell.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Wildcat, you lost the newbie here. What is a TSX? So are you saying a 2007 EX-L with Nav is a car to avoid? Are the climate controls also on the screen? It does not appear that way on this car, from what I can tell.
TSX is an Acura model, which in other parts of the world is an Accord (smaller than the US Accord). I've been looking for one over the past several weeks.

The CR-V's navigation is not tied to the climate controls. So you are safe there.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts