Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum.
I wrecked my 08 last week and am looking to replace it with another gen 3 CR-V. I had the EX model and liked the cargo shelf. Since I don't know what my next purchase will be in the '08-'11 range, should I remove the cargo shelf before insurance takes the car? If I end up with a 2009 LX, for instance, would my shelf fit?
Also, I LOVED my 2008 which I bought 3 years ago. Are the 09-11s just as good? Anything to be on the lookout for?

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
That cargo shelf should fit any Gen3, so, yes, I would. Sorry to hear about the crash. I hate when that happens. There are some slight changes between the '07-'09 and '10'11 models, mostly engine related. I would prefer the '07-'09 range over the '10-'11's as the later ones had some known issues with piston ring wear that caused excessive oil consumption. When this occurs, it is generally at around or over 100k miles. Not all of them, just some. The other main difference I know of is that the '10-'11's have wider armrests on the seats, which are a nice improvement. Good luck in your search, and let us know what you bring home!

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
The 2007-2009 are pretty much identical. The 2010-2011 get a higher output engine and a few external appearance changes (new hood, grill, bumpers, etc.) and feature updates like an improved radio. Interior trim parts usually remain the same.

One way to check is to visit one of the Honda parts sites, and look up the Honda part number for the rear package shelf (located under Interior/Bumper --> Tailgate Lining)--they should be exactly the same, except for the last two letters which indicate color. This is for the 2009l; I checked the 2011 and the part numbers are identical:

The only issue with the cargo shelf is the color--the 3rd gen came in black, grey and tan interior colors. You would either have to live with a color difference or find one with the same interior color. Obviously you don't want to buy one of these from a dealer. 😁 But I am sure salvage yards have the other colors for a lot less money.

If you had the shelf in the EX, then by purchasing an EX or EX-L, you will (hopefully) get another shelf unless someone removed it or the shelf is in poor condition. Worst case? Keep yours, and sell the spare on Craigslist if your replacement CR-V comes with a shelf.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I looked up one of the part numbers Wildcat posted. It's showing as fitting all EX, EX-L, and Nav CR-Vs from 2007 thru 2011.

Of course the LX did not get the shelf as standard equipment, so I checked the parts for the side linings on each side of the cargo area, and they are the same for all LX, EX, EX-L and Nav CR-Vs from 2007-2011. So the shelf should fit all CR-Vs 2007 thru 2011.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That cargo shelf should fit any Gen3, so, yes, I would. Sorry to hear about the crash. I hate when that happens. There are some slight changes between the '07-'09 and '10'11 models, mostly engine related. I would prefer the '07-'09 range over the '10-'11's as the later ones had some known issues with piston ring wear that caused excessive oil consumption. When this occurs, it is generally at around or over 100k miles. Not all of them, just some. The other main difference I know of is that the '10-'11's have wider armrests on the seats, which are a nice improvement. Good luck in your search, and let us know what you bring home!
I'm looking at a 2007 EX-L with about 98,000 miles. Don't NEED the upgrades, but having navigation would be nice, unless the system is a pain to use. Any idea if it's "clunky" to use?

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
There are a few threads about the Honda navigation system, and the problems with outdated maps and the difficulty and cost of upgrading.

I have a Garmin GPS that has lifetime free upgrades to the software and maps, I just have to plug it in to my computer using the special Garmin USB cable that it came with, and have the Garmin Express software installed on the computer. The Garmin Express software looks at the software and map versions that are on the GPS device, and lets me know if any updates are available.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. I guess I don't know enough about the nav system. All I really need is bluetooth so I can use my phone for maps, but I'm not sure if a 2007 EX-L comes with BT. May have to replace the radio.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Thanks. I guess I don't know enough about the nav system. All I really need is bluetooth so I can use my phone for maps, but I'm not sure if a 2007 EX-L comes with BT. May have to replace the radio.
To better answer your questions...

The EX-L also gives you dual climate controls, driver and passenger. That is the main reason I wanted the EX-L. Trust me, when your better half goes through that "change of life," where hot flashes and freezing cold happen within minutes of each other, I am very thankful for this feature. :D

For the nav system, don't bother. Honda's navigation systems have been clunky, and the updates require expensive DVDs to get the latest maps. In some cars like the Acura TSX, if the DVD reader fails, you cannot even operate the climate controls since they operate off the same screen. The only fix there is to have Alpine repair the DVD reader. At least the CR-V separates the two. The 2007-2009 CR-Vs never came with Bluetooth in the US either.

Honestly, I'd replace the head unit with an aftermarket. I'm using one of the Pioneer units that was a current model in 2016 (AVH-4200NEX). There are newer models available now, and more manufacturers like Kenwood, Alpine and JVC offer units with Bluetooth that also will give you navigation via Android Auto or CarPlay. Since Android Auto uses Google Maps which will also provide live traffic (something Honda's nav systems won't do unless they are the more advanced models that tie into SiriusXM's traffic data), and no map updates needed, it is cost effective in not needing updates via DVD. I did my own install on the head unit, so I have no idea how much a store would charge to install it. The head unit will also need the interface adapter so you can retain your steering wheel controls for the radio, and a dash install kit that provides a trim ring around the new head unit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LOL no problem, Grateful for the info. Since I don't care about dual climate controls or leather seats and will probably get an after market radio for BT, sounds like I would be fine with the EX if I can find one in the 07-09 range. Since y'all are so helpful, here's my other thing I'm wondering about: the 08 I wrecked was front wheel drive. We live in Michigan. Is it worth it to look for a "4WD" option for my replacement? And would I still want snow tires on the car if I did get 4wd?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts