Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today my free three month full XM subscription expired so I called XM and switched to their low cost XM Basic Plus option. It reduces the channels and creates gaps or "channel not available" for the higher priced channels. I have used XM Basic Plus in the past and am satisfied with the selection.

The problem is the Display Audio's XM << Channel >>" buttons will not tune past a deactivated channel. For example, I can get my activated Channels 26, 32 and 36, but I can't use the << Channel >> buttons to get past channels 27-31 or 33-35 that are not in my XM Basic Plus plan.

First Nine XM Basic Plus Channels
Text Font Line Number

So if I am on channel 32 and press the Channel >> up button, the XM radio gives me a "channel not available" for Channel 33 and returns me to the Preview Channel 01. It does this rather than continuing to Channel 36. From Channel 01 "XM tuning" (without a tuning knob of course) using the << Channel >> softkeys is essentially useless since I can only use it to go to Channel 2 before the "channel not available" message reappears and redirects the system to channel 01. "SCAN" does not work either.

Text Font Diagram Technology Electronics

The steering wheel arrows only toggle through the presets so they are useless to simply tune up or down the XM channels. I called XM tech support and they said it was a Honda bug.

Anybody run into this before?

Basic XM Plus channel list in this pdf: View attachment SiriusXM Channel Lineup - List of Online Music, Talk News & Sports.pdf

·
Registered
163 Posts
Today my free three month full XM subscription expired so I called XM and switched to their low cost XM Basic Plus option. It reduces the channels and creates gaps or "channel not available" for the higher priced channels. I have used XM Basic Plus in the past and am satisfied with the selection.

The problem is the Display Audio's XM << Channel >>" buttons will not tune past a deactivated channel. For example, I can get my activated Channels 26, 32 and 36, but I can't use the << Channel >> buttons to get past channels 27-31 or 33-35 that are not in my XM Basic Plus plan.

First Nine XM Basic Plus Channels
View attachment 94098

So if I am on channel 32 and press the Channel >> up button, the XM radio gives me a "channel not available" for Channel 33 and returns me to the Preview Channel 01. It does this rather than continuing to Channel 36. From there "XM tuning" (without a tuning knob of course) using the << Channel >> softkeys are essentially useless since I can only use it to go to Channel 2 before the "channel not available" message reappears and redirects the system to channel 01. "SCAN" does not work either.

View attachment 94090

The steering wheel arrows only toggle through the presets so they are useless to simply tune up or down the XM channels. I called XM tech support and they said it was a Honda bug.

Anybody run into this before?

Basic XM Plus channel list in this pdf: View attachment 94082
I'm having the same problem with the select package. Was never a problem when you could renew all channels at an affordable rate. Won't be renewing Sirius again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am having the same issue with my 2018 CRV EXL. Went with the "Mostly Music" package. When I try to scan past a channel that is not part of the package, a message pops up that says "Subscription updated" then behind that is another pop up message that says "Requested channel not subscribed". At this point it locks up and does not allow me to scan past that channel.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is another Honda fail, one of many especially in their control logic and in their ergonomics. The dealer is clueless, literally. I found some difficult backdoor path that displays a list of XM channels which then allows you to pick one. At that point, you can assign one of your few presets.

It's also a problem when XM periodically opens up all their channels for a free trial, typically around holidays. They were all free for two weeks prior to Memorial Day. But you can't get to them on a Honda even using the backdoor method. No problem on my Toyota or even on a 15 year old portable XM receiver.

·
Registered
74 Posts
It is another Honda fail, one of many especially in their control logic and in their ergonomics. The dealer is clueless, literally. I found some difficult backdoor path that displays a list of XM channels which then allows you to pick one. At that point, you can assign one of your few presets.

It's also a problem when XM periodically opens up all their channels for a free trial, typically around holidays. They were all free for two weeks prior to Memorial Day. But you can't get to them on a Honda even using the backdoor method. No problem on my Toyota or even on a 15 year old portable XM receiver.
While I agree this is a problem, it is not necessarily all Honda's fault. XM radio has some culpability too. I go to the dealer with a radio problem and basically they tell me to go to XM radio. I call them and they have a wishy washy response. It is XP interface display to the radio and XM must make the appropriate changes and forward them to Honda.
We all have to keep complaining to Honda and they may put pressure on XM to fix it.

·
Registered
882 Posts
It's another Honda bug. Possibly related to how the head stores XM updates. XM updates are needed, reasonable, and part of the interface design spec provided to manufacturers. Honda's head unit needs to process those changes even if undefined without losing sanity or head unit functionality. If needed set a diagnostic flag but don't kill the golden goose. That's how stable software is designed and developed. Gawd only knows what's going on with Honda these days.

Who knows if related to the XM related issue, but this last week my head unit was slow to boot after starting the car. I started the car, backed out from garage, and slowly drove a block or so before the unit fully booted. In the meantime I saw the honda 'H' logo and then a blank screen before it finally came to life. Once again, not confidence inspiring.

·
Registered
2017 CR-V EX-L w/ NAV
1,027 Posts
After my 3 mo trial I signed up for the basic as well. Have never had a problem. Try to get Sirius/XM to send another signal to your car. Could be something simple like that.

·
Registered
2018 CR-V EX-L FWD Modern Steel Metallic
1,211 Posts
when my 3 mths was just about up, i renewed for 1 yr - did it through my acct setup on their website. full pkg was $130 for a yrr, just over $10 a mth. had no issue w/HU after signup for the year.

·
Registered
74 Posts
when my 3 mths was just about up, i renewed for 1 yr - did it through my acct setup on their website. full pkg was $130 for a yrr, just over $10 a mth. had no issue w/HU after signup for the year.
Never do it over their website. Call them and tell them they want too much and 99% of the time they will give a discount. I have never paid more then $90 per year and got it down as low as $60 one time. They really don't want you to quit.

·
Registered
2018 CR-V EX-L FWD Modern Steel Metallic
1,211 Posts
Never do it over their website. Call them and tell them they want too much and 99% of the time they will give a discount. I have never paid more then $90 per year and got it down as low as $60 one time. They really don't want you to quit.
over the phone and through their mailer was higher.... sorry.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
4,066 Posts
Yes say no.
They get desperate and price drops.
Latest attempt after I logged on to their website was about $1.50 a week. Ignored them. It was a novelty after purchasing my CRV.
If I go on a long ride to the inlaws, (2500me round trip) I might re up.

·
Registered
74 Posts
over the phone and through their mailer was higher.... sorry.
No need to say sorry to me, I m sorry for you that you had to pay that much. Better luck next year.
Be aware that when you gave your credit card to pay, you also gave them auto renewal authority. They will automatically renew at whatever the going rate is next year. You need to be pro active and contact them before your year is up to get a better deal.

·
Registered
2017 CR-V EX-L w/ NAV
1,027 Posts
That's true but they will send out a reminder email 2 mos before its to renew. Have had for 12 yrs now and 1-2 days before renewal date I call and do the threaten cancel sing and dance. Always end up getting for 1/2 of the quoted renewal rate.

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,196 Posts
No need to say sorry to me, I m sorry for you that you had to pay that much. Better luck next year.
Be aware that when you gave your credit card to pay, you also gave them auto renewal authority. They will automatically renew at whatever the going rate is next year. You need to be pro active and contact them before your year is up to get a better deal.
Many credit cards companies will provide a "virtual Credit Card number" that you can limit to a dollar amount or for a specific number of months. I always give SiriusXM a virtual number that is only good for a couple of dollars more than what I agreed to, and for about 2 months less then the term I negotiated. My Citibank DoubleCash card is the one I use most for this, you can generate the virtual number right on the website.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
The best thing to do is to call them a couple of weeks after it renews and opt out of automatic renewal (you have to call to cancel it). I forgot once and they did the auto renewal. They tell you that they charge $2 for the manual renewal and it shows on the bill. However, they will keep bugging you when you decline to renew and the final cost is half of the billing or maybe a little less. Mine is due now but I am not going to renew because I have constant loss of signals that has gotten much worse in recent months. Satellite radio does no do well in the mountains or where there are a lot of trees over the roads.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Both me and a coworker bought new Hondas around the same time; me the CR-V, him an Odyssey. He bought his first and so his free Sirius subscription expired first and I guess he'd given the dealer our work phone number as the contact number for everything and boy, Sirius was RELENTLESS!! Annoyingly, damn near comically relentless. My coworker happened to be out of the office on the day the renewal sales pitch phone calls starting coming in. In ONE day, no exaggeration, Sirius called our office five times if not more, each time with a different sales rep. Even after I told them that another rep had already called, and that I'd leave a message for my coworker, they STILL kept calling. I can understand perhaps even calls on consecutive days, but that many times in ONE day is just ridiculous. When my Sirius expired shortly after that, I never received any calls. I think I gave them my cell phone, which, I don't answer if I don't recognize the number so maybe they did call me 5+ times in one day and if they did, they didn't leave a message. Sorry, this is OT and not related to pricing.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.