Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
My daughter has been working a lot of hours lately and combined with being a full time student her car isn't home much these days.
I took advantage of a long weekend to get some more work done.
I ordered a quart of nighthawk black paint, can of 2k clear coat and picked up an inexpensive HVLP gun. Also found a JDM rear wing on eBay from overseas and bought it.

Friday night I pulled off the plastic trim over the wheel arches and the rocker covers. Cleaned them really well, sanded them with 400 grit followed by a scotch brite pad. More cleaning, wax and grease remover, wiped down with a tack cloth and they were ready to paint.

Got the garage all set up and sprayed them Saturday evening. Hung the parts out in the sun the following morning to help cure the paint.

Sunday afternoon I put it all back together.

135360


135361


I need to order some more paint and I'll be able to paint the front and rear bumpers to match this month. I got a little bored, so I dragged out the Hella Jumbo fog lights I had on my LandCruiser and mounted them to the roof rack. They're not wired up, but it would be easy to run some wires if I wanted to.

135362
135363



Just painting the trim on the sides really makes it look more modern. I'm really looking forward to painting the bumper covers to match.

My daughter also ordered a Yonaka exhaust this weekend, so we'll hopefully have that on in the next couple weeks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
About 2 months ago her CRV started having a slight shake at about 65-70 mph. it's been slowly getting worse, but not to the point where it's dangerous. So i figured I'd rebuild the entire front end. Ordered inner and outer tie rod ends, upper control arms, lower ball joints and new lower control arms. Parts should be here by the end of the week.

She ordered herself a little gift, a Yonaka stainless cat back exhaust. I went to install it on Saturday night only to find the previous owner for some unknown reason, removed the factory flange on the back side of the catalytic converter and welded the exhaust pipe straight to the cat. I couldn't bring myself to hack up a nice stainless exhaust for the sake of getting it on the car sooner, so I spent more money. Ordered a replacement stainless steel cat. I got to thinking a couple days later and figured why not just replace everything up to the block, so I ordered a header and 2 new oxygen sensors.

Needless to say I have my work cut out for me here soon.I'll post photos of the progress and the end result.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Got a spare weekend and tackled the front end. Didn't run into any issues aside from the front upper control arm on the passenger side squeaks bad under braking. I tried just about everything I could think of to get rid of the squeak, but it refuses to go away. Gave in and ordered new ball joints so I can just rebuild the original upper control arms.

135975


135977


A couple weeks ago my daughter ordered a stainless Yonaka exhaust. I went to install it, but the previous owner welded part of the exhaust straight onto the catalytic converter. I ordered a new stainless catalytic converter and O2 sensors and figured while I was replacing everything else I may as well go all the way to the engine. I ordered a set of inexpensive 2 piece Integra headers.

135978


I did a lot of reading before deciding to pull the trigger on these headers. Biggest issue I saw people had was the nuts working themselves loose where the header bolts together. The hardware supplied with these headers came with studs you thread into the upper portion and nuts for the lower portion. I had some spare stainless hardware in the garage and went ahead and installed additional nuts on the top to keep it all held together.

The O2 sensor on the back side of the header didn't clear some parts under the car, but the new catalytic converter had a bung welded in for an O2 sensor, so I moved it to that location. The biggest issue with these headers are they shorten the length of the exhaust by about 3" meaning some of the hangar locations don't line up. I have some temporary 'rigging' installed for now and found a solution on eBay. I ordered a short stainless exhaust pipe with a 3 bolt flange on each end to go between the catalytic converter and the new exhaust pipe for under $25. I measured the distance needed for the hangars to line up and this pipe is going to work. The only place I found with that made this style pipe connection in stainless steel is from China, so I'm still waiting for it to show up.

The tires are starting to show some wear after 20k miles, mostly due to the negative camber on the rear wheels. Once it's due for new tires I'm going to switch up the wheels to something 17".

Next month I'm going to tackle painting the front and rear bumper covers and the mirrors to match.

135979
 

Attachments

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
Top