Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We have an older Yakima Blacktop Pro 21 roof box that we've used on our '05 Odyssey minivan since new.
When we down-sized to the CRV, being able to use the the Yak box occasionally was important to us.

I did a fair amount of research on roof rack options (Thule, Rhino, Honda OEM non-rail, Yakima) and thought I'd give an initial progress update:

Cross-bar spacing and location was my major driver for the Pro 21. Yakima requires at least 30" of spacing between the cross-bars. (we had 36" on our Odyssey)
1) the Honda OEM rails and cross-bars have fixed locations with a max. spread of 24"
2) the Yakima system with Baseline towers and recommended CRV mounting points listed a spread of 31"

After adjusting width, cross-bar pitch and toe angle on each of the tower mounts, I did a test install of the towers in the recommended spot for the 2017-18 CRV, and put the Pro 21 on top. I had a TON of clearance between back of the box and the fully opened hatch....like 14." My gut tells me that the air flow is going to be smoother if the box doesn't protrude out over the windshield so far...So I moved the towers back. A full 12" for the rear, to as far back as I could go and still have rear door jam available to attach to, and about 4 1/2" for the front. My new crossbar spread is 35."

With the Pro 21 box mounting cam/clamps adjusted so the box is positioned as far BACK as it can go on the rear cross-bars, I still have 2 1/2" of clearance to the opened hatch. If anything, the tower mounts seem (to me) to be positioned in a sturdier spot, closer to the B and C pillars and with the wider cross-bar spacing, a more stable mount. I got the Jetstream 50" cross-bars because I thought they looked sweet and claimed to be quieter.

I also like this system because it is not difficult to remove the rack completely for the 95% of the time we are carrying nothing up top.

I was running out of daylight to get everything tightened up and completed so I could take it for a road test. But I think it's looking good.
I'll post an update once I do. I'm also interested to see what the impact is on mpg.

Unknown-2.jpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Here is an update with some better photos of placement for the Baseline towers. As posted above, this is greater spacing (spread) between the cross-bars than recommended by Yakima but I'm happy with how it sits on the vehicle. We were on the highway recently and there is definitely wind noise from the rack at 65-75 mph, but definitely livable for the occasions that I have the rack installed. Now that all the width, toe and pitch adjustments are set, it takes me just 10 minutes to put it on the vehicle, and 5 minutes to remove.

IMG_0354.jpg IMG_0355.jpg IMG_0356.jpg IMG_0357.jpg

·
Registered
50 Posts
Here is our Yakima set up with 90” box for all your skis, snowboards etc. Went with recommended specs for rack placement and everything works well.
57E002B9-F37B-4954-85BA-1A9F854354CF.jpeg
A53D7A3C-BD79-4D25-A3BF-4C15B2E72486.jpeg

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have an older Yakima Blacktop Pro 21 roof box that we've used on our '05 Odyssey minivan since new.
When we down-sized to the CRV, being able to use the the Yak box occasionally was important to us.

I did a fair amount of research on roof rack options (Thule, Rhino, Honda OEM non-rail, Yakima) and thought I'd give an initial progress update:

Cross-bar spacing and location was my major driver for the Pro 21. Yakima requires at least 30" of spacing between the cross-bars. (we had 36" on our Odyssey)
1) the Honda OEM rails and cross-bars have fixed locations with a max. spread of 24"
2) the Yakima system with Baseline towers and recommended CRV mounting points listed a spread of 31"

After adjusting width, cross-bar pitch and toe angle on each of the tower mounts, I did a test install of the towers in the recommended spot for the 2017-18 CRV, and put the Pro 21 on top. I had a TON of clearance between back of the box and the fully opened hatch....like 14." My gut tells me that the air flow is going to be smoother if the box doesn't protrude out over the windshield so far...So I moved the towers back. A full 12" for the rear, to as far back as I could go and still have rear door jam available to attach to, and about 4 1/2" for the front. My new crossbar spread is 35."

With the Pro 21 box mounting cam/clamps adjusted so the box is positioned as far BACK as it can go on the rear cross-bars, I still have 2 1/2" of clearance to the opened hatch. If anything, the tower mounts seem (to me) to be positioned in a sturdier spot, closer to the B and C pillars and with the wider cross-bar spacing, a more stable mount. I got the Jetstream 50" cross-bars because I thought they looked sweet and claimed to be quieter.

I also like this system because it is not difficult to remove the rack completely for the 95% of the time we are carrying nothing up top.

I was running out of daylight to get everything tightened up and completed so I could take it for a road test. But I think it's looking good.
I'll post an update once I do. I'm also interested to see what the impact is on mpg.

View attachment 125039
Thanks for posting this. I just got the Yakima towers with clips for my 2018 CRV and I’m about to buy a new Yakima Skybox 21 for it. I was wondering if the back door would open. Looks like it will be fine. I’m assuming your 21 box is roughly the same size as the newer skybox 21.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts