Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2009 CR-V EX-L
I've read a couple of posts from people asking about a hot rubber/burning smell from the right rear wheel area after the vehicle has been run hard in a low gear - like up a steep hill. This has been a problem for us for about a year and had me scratching my head. It wasn't brake related - I don't usually need to brake going up a steep hill + a physical check confirmed this. A couple of posts indicated possible transmission fluid problems, so I did the three change thing - no improvement. Then I realized that this had only started after I installed a class three hitch, maybe the muffler was pushed up against a rubber mount - no, it's fine. Threw my floor jack in the back and took off to find a steep hill. Sure enough, got to the top there was that smell, popped the wheel off and found the smell was coming from the exhaust spring connection. Of course, when I installed the hitch I also replaced the do-nut gasket, possibly with a smear of high-heat gasket seal.
To the point of this post. Is there a good/better/best gasket and should I need to add sealant? The current gasket is a Felpro from my local parts store.

Thanks.?

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,572 Posts
You should not use any sealant on the exhaust connections, just the gaskets designed for that purpose. The temperatures at the exhaust pipes are just too high. Felpro gaskets are fine. OEM gaskets may be better simply because of the millions that they use. If Honda found a problem they would have corrected it long ago.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Great info, Wes K; my recently acquired 2007 EX (271000km) has exactly this issue, invariably following a hard low gear climb but also after fast highway runs.
I'm also convinced it's the rubber hangers on the exhaust but I was thinking about those located at the converter which runs very hot. I've noted that one of the two is a little looser, suggesting some slow melting.
What exactly do you mean by the 'exhaust spring connection', please ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What exactly do you mean by the 'exhaust spring connection', please ?
Just before the rear muffler there is a connector with a donut gasket in it, held together by two bolts with springs (to allow the joint to flex, I guess?). I had a leak there due to the gasket falling apart.
Anyway, I recently blasted out the heat shield on the rear muffler - it was packed with 'road grunge'. The smell is still there but not as bad. The saga continues :rolleyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts