Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All about the looks are you liking the look when you have no clue what just happened. you like how simple it was or how more complicate it just got without notice?>

Reactions: robbyg

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,918 Posts
I will reserve judgment until I get used to the new site look and feel. Change is hard. :p

I know one thing.. I want the edit post button back. o_O EDIT: OK the button I want has been replaced with the text "Edit" at the top of my posts.. I can live with that.

I will collect and store my observations here.. now that I can edit. :)

Observations made:
1) in the old forum... there was a very clear demarcation between the stickied threads and the non-stickied ones. I really like that. In this new format.. the ordering still puts stickied threads at the top.. but there is no graphical demarcation between them and the rest of the threads.. and there is only a tiny little pin graphic buried in the thread title to let you know it is a stickied thread. That is not user friendly in my view.

2) Private Messages between forum members is now called "Conversations" right?

Edit:

3) the 5 minute lockout on edits is not being enforced by the system currently.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I'd like the "new posts" button to be easier to locate, preferably at the top of the page.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,798 Posts
Hey Rac, the NEW POSTS are under POPULAR when you click the three dots next to your Avatar (upper RH corner of a page)

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Yep I know that change is not easy to deal with but the old software company that they used "Vbulletin" has pretty much gone to the dogs. Xenforo is much better software and it has much more support and enthusiasim amongst the third party pluggin developers.

To be honest to the Mods I am not a big fan of the current look!
With that said you can really do some great things to make it look a lot better than even the old forum. I suggest to Mods that they look at this site and let the Admin see if he can duplicate the look and feel of this forum I am going to link.

https://mavicpilots.com/

Hope it helps. You at least have a much better engine under the hood, it just needs a better Skin and some plugins.

You really need to get back the the sticky areas as you can see by the red line on the left here
https://mavicpilots.com/forums/mavic-pro-discussion.9/

If you look at the posts the persons individual likes are also there as the "Reaction Score" along with their forum status.

Rob

Reactions: AdminSupport

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
To the staff and the powers that be--thank you for upgrading from the sadly outdated vBulletin!! I dumped the last of our vB forums quite a few years ago and moved to XenForo, and haven't looked back. People hate change, so "haters gonna hate." And aside from the few haters, yes, it takes a couple of weeks to get used to. But this forum system is way better in terms of usability and once you get used to it, things are faster, easier to use, and take fewer steps. And I bet your servers are seeing half the loads they used to, like ours did. ?

Mobile view is part of XenForo also--there isn't a need to use the insecure Tapatalk, since the forum adapts to whichever device it is on. (We dumped Tapatalk about seven or eight years ago--it left security and spamming back doors on our server and in our forum system. Not to mention their poor support for the product!)

I was among the first adopters back in 2010, when it was still in beta. Any questions on usage, feel free to ask! It's part of my day job (server/forum admin, monetization, styling, upgrading, etc.).

·
Registered
481 Posts
15 year old post should not be the first things we see.
I actually liked the Old Style better with recent post on the side.
FIX THE TIME LINES.or GET A REFUND.
Our forum has been diluted with something.

·
Administrator
513 Posts
To the staff and the powers that be--thank you for upgrading from the sadly outdated vBulletin!! I dumped the last of our vB forums quite a few years ago and moved to XenForo, and haven't looked back. People hate change, so "haters gonna hate." And aside from the few haters, yes, it takes a couple of weeks to get used to. But this forum system is way better in terms of usability and once you get used to it, things are faster, easier to use, and take fewer steps. And I bet your servers are seeing half the loads they used to, like ours did. ?

Mobile view is part of XenForo also--there isn't a need to use the insecure Tapatalk, since the forum adapts to whichever device it is on. (We dumped Tapatalk about seven or eight years ago--it left security and spamming back doors on our server and in our forum system. Not to mention their poor support for the product!)

I was among the first adopters back in 2010, when it was still in beta. Any questions on usage, feel free to ask! It's part of my day job (server/forum admin, monetization, styling, upgrading, etc.).
Xenforo has come a loooong way since 2010. I personally and professionally dabbled in Xenforo some around that same time. I will admit originally could not work with it at all as an admin but loved it as a user. It did grow on me and this version we are working with now is really much easier to use from an admin's perspective than the earlier versions where. We are still building out customization to hopefully help it gain popularity with our users. Thanks for the feedback!
-Philip

·
Administrator
513 Posts
15 year old post should not be the first things we see.
I actually liked the Old Style better with recent post on the side.
FIX THE TIME LINES.or GET A REFUND.
Our forum has been diluted with something.
We are still rolling out upgrades and some changes based on user feedback.
-Philip

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Xenforo has come a loooong way since 2010. I personally and professionally dabbled in Xenforo some around that same time. I will admit originally could not work with it at all as an admin but loved it as a user. It did grow on me and this version we are working with now is really much easier to use from an admin's perspective than the earlier versions where. We are still building out customization to hopefully help it gain popularity with our users. Thanks for the feedback!
-Philip
In our case, we were running the 3.7 version of vBulletin which I had modified quite a bit to get the resource usage under control--there were some wasteful processes and queries that would bring our dedicated box to a halt. It was such a chore that I never upgraded to 3.8, and when the 4.0/4.1 branches came along, I'd read they were even more resource-intensive. (We currently have as many as 2,000 online visitors during peak hours, but thankfully the resource usage is such that we can still run it on a single dedicated server. vBulletin's solution was to throw more hardware at the problem; that was after IB bought it out from Jelsoft, and I think we peaked at maybe 1,100-1,200 users online back then.)

I was running Cacti at the time, and I noticed that our load averages dropped to about half what they were when we moved to XenForo, which I'm thinking we did back in late 2012. I lived with the missing features, making up what I could through add-ons. The permissions system was a little tricky until we got the hang of it, but it was worlds easier and gave me finer control. ElasticSearch was a pain to work with at first, but it's much better now, and search quality is much better (and faster) than default vB ever could offer.

But yeah, I totally get it. There's a learning curve for everyone. Once the dust settles, the remaining issues are resolved (are they ever? ?) and everyone finds their way around, I've found it is a lot more user friendly. I've seen the same on other forums that made the switch--there is always backlash until members get familiar with it. ?

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
2) Private Messages between forum members is now called "Conversations" right?
Yep. And it's threaded, so that if you are in a conversation, you can read the entire thing top to bottom, as opposed to having to open multiple messages in the old forum. It's like a mini private thread, actually, and you can add participants easily to the conversation, or leave a conversation.

Tip--the only way to delete a conversation here is for all parties to "leave" the conversation. But I think if you leave a conversation, it no longer shows up in your list of conversations. Unless the other party adds you back in as a participant and replies to it. (I'd have to test that.)

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
One simple quick fix that is needed is that the font sizes in the menus and headlines are just way too big.

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the good thing I will be more out of this the bad thing is not my loss.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Some parody books that were inspired by "Who Moved My Cheese?":

I Moved Your Cheese
Nobody Moved Your Cheese!
Who Moved My Soap?: The CEO’s Guide to Surviving Prison

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
the good thing I will be more out of this the bad thing is not my loss.
Yeah I am also not feeling so great about reading the forum. I think this should have been beta tested under a different URL until they got the right skin and features setup. I know how good this can be but not in its current state. New posts seem to be way down also. That has a domino effect.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Edit:

3) the 5 minute lockout on edits is not being enforced by the system currently.
I thought it was a lot longer than 5 minutes?
I also noticed that the light blue highlight that is used when you highlight text that is quoted and set for deletion is almost invisible. I actually thought that I could not highlight text on a quoted post and delete it until I looked really closely and saw the very light blue coloring.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts