Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago a friend was got in my CR-V and I made a remark about the new car smell. He said yes, I like it but please wind down the windows for a minute and let it out!

Ok so I am puzzled and asked him why. He says that all cars especially a new one that is parked on a hot day release a lot of chemicals from the plastic and other materials. When the vehicle is closed they build up to very high levels of gasses that are mildly toxic.

I am really tired of hearing about X Y and Z being toxic, it seems like everything is toxic but it does make sense to me that the car might be building up gases from the plastic since we all know it deteriorates over time and the chemicals that are lost must be going somewhere so I did some reading and see if it has been reported elsewhere, and I did find it.

So I am just passing on the info, especially for those people with young kids. You can ignore it or act on it, it's up to you. personally I think I will follow his advice even though I am skeptical. For a few more months or until the new car smell is gone I will wind down the windows for a minute on hot days.

One of the links on the subject is here:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_car_smell

Rob

·
Registered
988 Posts
Good idea. It's amazing how strong those chemical odors are. Harbor Freight stores are pungent. Over the weekend we needed to grab some last minute hiking socks for my son. We were on the road and dashed into a Ross store and quickly commented how strong the chemical smells were. I guess it was from the cheap shoes, belts, and purses.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Your car, like most, is designed with a "flow through" ventilation system. There are body vents, normally hidden away in the rear in a low pressure area, so that fresh air will flow into the body and then exit out the rear. This changes the air inside the vehicle constantly. Of course this works far better if you car is NOT on "recirc" mode where you are just circulating the current air around and around inside the body.
None of this is new stuff, its been done for decades on cars. If you don't change the air in a car it will get "stale" and will fog up the windows in colder weather as the moisture in your breath condenses. So, quite honestly, if you aren't using the "recirc" setting (and I rarely do for this very reason), your car will be constantly pushing out the old air and bringing in new. No need to roll down windows unless you enjoy the turbulence it causes.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I actually do this anyway but not for the chemicals (at least not knowingly). I just like to get the stale air out on those hot days then roll them back up nice and tight after about 15 seconds and let the a/c do the rest.

It's funny because every car manual I've read says to do that get thing on hot days and now it's accomplishing two tasks (and even if it's just the stale air it certainly doesn't hurt).

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good idea. It's amazing how strong those chemical odors are. Harbor Freight stores are pungent. Over the weekend we needed to grab some last minute hiking socks for my son. We were on the road and dashed into a Ross store and quickly commented how strong the chemical smells were. I guess it was from the cheap shoes, belts, and purses.
Yeah but the funny thing is I never really thought about the Benzene which is really not a good idea to breathe in. I typically just use recirc on the AC, now I am thinking about getting one of those carbon AC filters, I just wonder how long their useful life is? Carbon typically has a short life span before it's usefulness is depleted.

Rob

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your car, like most, is designed with a "flow through" ventilation system. There are body vents, normally hidden away in the rear in a low pressure area, so that fresh air will flow into the body and then exit out the rear. This changes the air inside the vehicle constantly. Of course this works far better if you car is NOT on "recirc" mode where you are just circulating the current air around and around inside the body.
None of this is new stuff, its been done for decades on cars. If you don't change the air in a car it will get "stale" and will fog up the windows in colder weather as the moisture in your breath condenses. So, quite honestly, if you aren't using the "recirc" setting (and I rarely do for this very reason), your car will be constantly pushing out the old air and bringing in new. No need to roll down windows unless you enjoy the turbulence it causes.
I am not so sure about that Hans. I figure by time the AC has circulated all the air out you have already breathed in a fairly good dose of the bad stuff.

Rob

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,016 Posts
Opening a can of worms. time to name what is bad for your health. , Breathing the air.....

Lets also remember do not drink out of plastic Poland spring bottles even after you drank do not save and refill and store in the car and drink, al the chems released.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Gotta love those dealer installed Honda side window vents.......use them 9 months out of the year, especially this time of year.

I find the quickest way to vent/cool the cabin is the leave the rear windows slightly down, turn a/c to manual using fresh air and fan on high with temp at low. After a minute or so, back windows go up, set a/c to recirculate. The CR-V a/c seems a little wimpy to me (compared to our '09 RAV4). 110F ambient, it's gotta be on recirculate, hi fan and lo temp to get comfortable.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Yeah i think people need things to worry about just to post about lol
Do you not open the trunk because the car is running, the fumes might get in!

Come on
well I will tell ya..I have serious lung problems and have a hard time breathing on a good day,but rolling the windows down might be a smart plan,thanks for that great idea Robbyg ..thank you

·
Super Moderator
5,016 Posts
video on its way . when the net was not around.... you must have been a trip

·
Registered
865 Posts
This... If you look at my 5th gen sound deadening thread I have a picture of the vents behind both rear quarter panels. I made sure to not inhibit their function in my install.

You can see the vent holes on the QPs themselves right above the fenders.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I am not so sure about that Hans. I figure by time the AC has circulated all the air out you have already breathed in a fairly good dose of the bad stuff.

Rob
Rob:

Cars are not as good at flushing out air with the windows down while driving as they are using the engineered vents. Sitting still, yes the windows work for that. Moving there is a lot of turbulence with windows down, a problem we have fought for years in vehicles as they have become more aerodynamic. The body vents work quite well when you are moving however, much better than an open window.
Try this little experiment: Put the car on "recirc" on a very humid day when its cool enough to put heavy fog on the widows. Then open a window and see how long it takes the fog to clear. Try the same thing while moving only this time take the car off "recirc" and let the cars built in ventilation system do the work.

Just try it. "Logic" is only as good as the information it is giving to work with .

Here is a very simplified explanation. You can find some far more technical ones if you want to look a bit.

https://www.howacarworks.com/basics/how-car-heating-and-ventilation-systems-work

And just for fun, here is one patent granted to General Motors filed in 1970, granted in 1972. Note that it makes references to other patents from 1966. This is old stuff.
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/3646876.pdf

·
Super Moderator
5,016 Posts
when winter hits Ican see you all saying roll down the windowss when the heaters on

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
when winter hits Ican see you all saying roll down the windowss when the heaters on
No its the heat of summer what causes excessive amounts of gas to come off the plastic, bonding glue and other materials.
Once the car is cool the problem is gone.

Rob

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
3,671 Posts
No its the heat of summer what causes excessive amounts of gas to come off the plastic, bonding glue and other materials.
Once the car is cool the problem is gone.

Rob
Oh, so now we have gas diluting the air in the cabin as well as the oil? ROFL.

Sorry Rob. Just kidding. Couldn't resist!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts