Votes: 0 0.0%
  • BFGoodrich - Winter T/A KSI

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've thought long and hard about the Celsius tires... Might be OK, but we get some serious snow/ice in West Michigan. Seems like a good idea, but they are pricey. If they don't perform its $700 wasted. If I get a $400 set of snows, I know they will perform.
Ya, they were $160 each. (235-60/18) I drove them through a blizzard in South Dakota last winter. Zero issues.
Best part about them is they come with a 45 day/500 mile trial offer. Try them, if you don’t like them return them!
BTW, I’m in central Wisconsin and drove through some serious snow.

·
Registered
109 Posts
All weather tires are relatively new. I installed a set of Pirrelli scorpian verde plus on our minivan, and they perform well in snow.

I'll take 95% of the performance of dedicated winter tires, if it means I can avoid a stack of tires in the garage and swapping tires twice a year.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I just installed the Xi2s on my 2019. The Blizzaks were my 2nd choice. If I recall when researching, the Xi2 had slightly better handling and comfort (less noise) on dry roads. I live in a region with plenty of ice/snow in the winter. However the roads here are very aggressively plowed/salted, and so I'm driving on cold, dry and salty roads more than 95% of the time anyways. In the end it probably doesn't make much of a difference with either brand of tire... so just go with what's on sale!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Nobody is denying that dedicated winter tires are the best in snow/ice conditions but for the most of us these new “all weather“ tires as bandit mentioned above will and do perform 95% as good as them. The added bonus is not having to swap back to summer or 3 season tires.
The new compound used in them are truly the best of both worlds.
I will add that they (at least the Celsius CUV) are not designed as a “all Terrain” tire for use in medium to serious off road use.
For that I run the Hankook Dynapro AT 2 tire on my Forester. It is another excellent winter rated tire but made more for traction off road. Biggest downside to that one is it’s heavy. Made my weak Forester even slower with the extra 8# of rotating mass per corner!
My CR-V will never be used off road like the Forester. It is just not as capable.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Oh ya, as someone posted earlier, Tire Rack doesn’t sell Toyo Celsius tires,,, but Discount Tire does! As well as many independent shops.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Nobody is denying that dedicated winter tires are the best in snow/ice conditions but for the most of us these new “all weather“ tires as bandit mentioned above will and do perform 95% as good as them.
15% is probably closer to real life. Perhaps even 10%.

·
Registered
26 Posts
According to consumer reports, some of the all-weather tires perform better than dedicated snow tires:
consumer reports test
So, 95% is actually an understatement. All-weather tires are 100 to 110% as good as winter tires!
That is because dedicated winter tires are only good at one thing, driving in 100% snow/ice conditions!
I don’t believe anyone here drives in those conditions all the time. Most of my winter driving here in Wisconsin will be on dry or wet roads (albeit cold) where a more normal tire will shine. But I look forward to finding unplowed roads to go play on when it does snow!
Glad consumer reports agrees with my choice of the Toyo Celsius tire! Something I’ve known for a few years!!

·
Registered
188 Posts
I've always thought that there's no such thing as a free lunch when it comes to winter tires. But these new all weather tires from Toyo and Nokian are clearly a big improvement on A/S tires. Very curious to know two things however: how do they perform in non-winter conditions?; and most importantly- how long do they last, especially as winter tires? The softer rubber compounds they use have to wear fast. Blizzaks for example also use a very soft compound and they don't last very long as a dedicated winter tire, morphing into an A/S.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've always thought that there's no such thing as a free lunch when it comes to winter tires. But these new all weather tires from Toyo and Nokian are clearly a big improvement on A/S tires. Very curious to know two things however: how do they perform in non-winter conditions?; and most importantly- how long do they last, especially as winter tires? The softer rubber compounds they use have to wear fast. Blizzaks for example also use a very soft compound and they don't last very long as a dedicated winter tire, morphing into an A/S.
Excellent question! They have better cornering ability than the stock tires that came on my ‘19 for sure.
the set I had on my CX-5 still had 8/10 tread after 18 k miles when I traded it in. Summer heat was no problem as their composition is not like blizzak tires.
As they have a 60k warranty it’s clear they will last and unlike blizzak tires, these don’t turn into a A/S tire when the tread depth gets to 6/10ths.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Excellent question! They have better cornering ability than the stock tires that came on my ‘19 for sure.
the set I had on my CX-5 still had 8/10 tread after 18 k miles when I traded it in. Summer heat was no problem as their composition is not like blizzak tires.
As they have a 60k warranty it’s clear they will last and unlike blizzak tires, these don’t turn into a A/S tire when the tread depth gets to 6/10ths.
Ok its a free lunch indeed!

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Some all-weather tires are as good as winter tires.
Agreed.

The real key point in this discussion though is that CR reports that all snow tires really suck for anything other then snow and ice breaking. They are, for example... universally quite inferior in terms of wet braking, and mileage.

Snow tires are basically a specialty tire for special road conditions, whereas all weather" tires attempt to blend the best of all categories for driving conditions via compromises (ie: no AW tire is really best for every driver and every condition) ... though of course different manufacturers focus on some categories over others. So really.. a owner must know and understand their needs/wants and then match to the tire that most closely matches said need/want... and not rely on other peoples suggestions as their sole criteria.

Since Honda has no idea what road conditions a particular driver may drive under, it totally makes sense for them to put all weather tires from a name brand on their vehicles at the factory. And, being in the compact SUV market, which is extremely price competitive, there I doubt we will ever see Honda put highend premium all weather tires on their vechicles at the factory. They might put premium AW tires on some of their Acura models, since they have better margins and are selling into a premium niche in the market with their Acuras.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm a bit late to this party, but I would like to give my suggestions. If buying snow tires are not in your budget, I would definitely buy the General Altimax RT-43 all season tire. I did a even trade with my mechanic after I bought my '17 Touring and he took my OEM Hankooks (with 100 miles on them) and gave me the Generals. I drove all winter with them and did fine. I'm in the MA and NY border where it can snow quite a bit, and they served me very well. I was never scared when driving in nasty weather. Could I push them as hard as real Snow tires? No, but they did their job very well.

Last year I jumped in and bought Snow tires. Nokian Nordman 7 SUV tires. These are awesome snow tires and I would definitely recommend them, I did not get them studded but I could've but I never experienced a moment where I didn't feel in control of my car.
Just my 2 cents.

--Ben

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Any one try Blizzak WS80 or WS90 tire on their CRV instead of DMV2? WS80 dosnt show up as a tire for CRV on tirerack probably cause its a car tire instead of an SUV/truck tire. However one of my local tire shops says it will work and its a bit cheaper to get cause they are discontinuing it.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I had WS80 on my Mazda 6 wagon. Good grip but didn’t like them a bit, overall. Way too mushy, no control on dry/wet pavement.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Any one try Blizzak WS80 or WS90 tire on their CRV instead of DMV2? WS80 dosnt show up as a tire for CRV on tirerack probably cause its a car tire instead of an SUV/truck tire. However one of my local tire shops says it will work and its a bit cheaper to get cause they are discontinuing it.
I bought the WS80 on tirerack with alloy wheels. I got the 17 inch size while they were on clearance. I'm sure they will work just fine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I researched on WS80. The tire works on the CRV. Only thing is the wall is a little less stiff compared to DMV2 since it is a passenger car tire. I dont know if that will make any major difference. I decided against it since the tire shop owner said since they are being discontinued in case I need to replace a single tire in the future that wont be possible. Thats why I decided not to get it. I was torn between Blizzak DMV2 or Continental Viking Contact and went with the later just because Blizzaks wear out faster.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I bought the WS80 on tirerack with alloy wheels. I got the 17 inch size while they were on clearance. I'm sure they will work just fine.
Was getting WS80 quite cheap as well here in Toronto.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts