Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 72 of 72 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Have a 2019 CRV with Hankook Kinergy GT tires and I'm having the same problem .. odometer reads 30,000km but probably only 20,000 on the Hankooks which were driven in the summer.
I noticed a shake in the vehicle and took it into the shop, they said that all 4 tires were scalloped and should be replaced soon. It was only afterwards I took a good look at the tires and realized they were bald .. never expected that my 1 year old car would have bald tires already.

I'm pissed, because they duped me into doing an alignment and rotation which I'm now realizing was a waste of time and money.

· Registered
251 Posts
There is the possibility that it is not the tires; maybe it is the CR-V . . . factory alignment or some other suspension issue that is causing the crazy excess wear. But given the variety of cars with this issue, I would say it’s the tires based on the ConsumerAffairs posts:

20k on 2018 Camry and needed replaced.
20k on leased Nissan Leaf.
12k on 2016 Lexus RX 450, who says 3k or less left.
26k on 2017 Camry and all 4 are shot.

· Premium Member
5,541 Posts
Have a 2019 CRV with Hankook Kinergy GT tires and I'm having the same problem .. odometer reads 30,000km but probably only 20,000 on the Hankooks which were driven in the summer.
I noticed a shake in the vehicle and took it into the shop, they said that all 4 tires were scalloped and should be replaced soon. It was only afterwards I took a good look at the tires and realized they were bald .. never expected that my 1 year old car would have bald tires already.

I'm pissed, because they duped me into doing an alignment and rotation which I'm now realizing was a waste of time and money.
Welcome to the forum, OK Tire!
The alignment was not necessarily a waste. Often times scalloped tires are caused by bad alignment or bad tire balance. A rotation of the old tires was probably not needed. That said, I would ask the shop for a refund on the alignment and rotation as the tires were obviously bald...perhaps they will agree to a 50% refund. Bottom line, you have learned about their ethics.

· Premium Member
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
9,577 Posts
Truism: just like "your mileage may vary" where driver to driver mpg is concerned.. the same applies to tires in terms of miles vs treadlife.

How you drive, and what you drive on in terms of road surface, as well as speed, level of aggressive cornering, turns, starts and stops, etc... ALL have an impact on tire life.

Which is NOT to say that there are not some bad tires right from the tire factory and installed at the vehicle factory.. hence tires have warranties from the tire manufacturers.

Nor is it impossible that some CRVs ship from the factory with some form of alignment issue, though not in great numbers based on reports in our forum here. It's just that the biggest variable is the actual driver and how they drive. Hence Honda, like most manufacturers sells them with a 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty.

All that said.. you generally get what you pay for, and car manufacturers do NOT put the best of the best tires on as OEMs at the factory. The first real chance to assess your tires is when you put some excellent quality tires on your vehicle (and you will of course pay more for them too).

· Registered
251 Posts
"Truism: just like "your mileage may vary" where driver to driver mpg is concerned.. the same applies to tires in terms of miles vs treadlife."

No argument with the statement. BUT I think you would likely agree that my lovely wife in her 70s would treat this sign differently.

I am very confident that our wear has nothing to do with her driving style.

..." hence tires have warranties from the tire manufacturers."

And those warranties all have the same lawyer speak . . tread wear is NOT covered. You must prove a manufacturing defect.

I realize it is a waste of time to try to pursue any remedy from Honda or Bridgestone but it is not a waste of time to spread the word through any outlet I can and I will.

· Registered
247 Posts
Truism: just like "your mileage may vary" where driver to driver mpg is concerned.. the same applies to tires in terms of miles vs treadlife.

Nor is it impossible that some CRVs ship from the factory with some form of alignment issue, though not in great numbers based on reports in our forum here.
I agree with everything you said, including the quotes I neglected to add. But I fear that I may be one of those CRV owners with a rear tire alignment issue, given my local serivce manager's honesty to me about seeing that issue even though corporate Honda disavowed all knowledge of it to us, given 2 alignments in the 1st 13K miles of ownership which showed way out of spec rear tires each time, and replacing factory tires last week which were down to 4/32 tread depth in just 14K miles 24 months after buying the car. Much to my wife's angst (she loves the CRV), I told her if we have a repeat of the alignment issues and tire wear again in the next 2 years, the CRV is history. I've been driving cars for 50 years and with the exception of a Chevy Vega (yeah, I'm that old), have never owned one worse than this particular Honda. Sorry for the rant.

· Registered
230 Posts
Hope Honda sorts out your alignment issues. I'm having new tires installed on Monday and have been contemplating an alignment just to be safe. One good thing is overall the CRV seems to be pretty solid for alignment with what sounds like a few exceptions. Nothing can be as bad as the Land Rover LR3 I owned which went through a-arm bushings like candy which resulted in extreme tire wear. Trips to the dealer for new bushings, alignment, and tires and I was good for about another 5k miles where the process was repeated three times. I was so happy to see that SUV go.

· Premium Member
9,577 Posts
I agree with everything you said, including the quotes I neglected to add. But I fear that I may be one of those CRV owners with a rear tire alignment issue, given my local serivce manager's honesty to me about seeing that issue even though corporate Honda disavowed all knowledge of it to us, given 2 alignments in the 1st 13K miles of ownership which showed way out of spec rear tires each time, and replacing factory tires last week which were down to 4/32 tread depth in just 14K miles 24 months after buying the car. Much to my wife's angst (she loves the CRV), I told her if we have a repeat of the alignment issues and tire wear again in the next 2 years, the CRV is history. I've been driving cars for 50 years and with the exception of a Chevy Vega (yeah, I'm that old), have never owned one worse than this particular Honda. Sorry for the rant.
Note: Honda acknowledged the problem quite a while ago, but had not yet determined root cause and ordering of a TSB to address the issue in the field.

Honda DOES now have detailed TSB to address this issue of bad alignment right from the factory. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10181080-0001.pdf

· Registered
247 Posts
Note: Honda acknowledged the problem quite a while ago, but had not yet determined root cause and ordering of a TSB to address the issue in the field.

Honda DOES now have detailed TSB to address this issue of bad alignment right from the factory. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10181080-0001.pdf
Thank you so much. I'm going to print the TSB you provided and take it to my next best friend ... a Honda dealer where my kids live in another town for the next alignment. No joke, I'm not making this up. Part of my problem may be the incompetent local dealer from whom I bought the CRV. I also own a '16 Pilot that developed the fuel pump "chirp" sound issue. After 3 visits to my local Honda service dept. earlier this year, including one with a TSB specifically about this problem in hand, they insisted that the engine sound was either normal or they were unable to hear it. Sooo ... out of frustration I drove 60 miles to the dealer where my kids live, and after just 20 minutes with my Pilot in the service bay they informed me that yes, they could hear the sound, and if I'd like, they could repair it under the 60K power train warranty. I had 58K miles on the car at the time. My Pilot sounds nice & quiet again like it did when I drove it new off the lot once again. Thanks again williamsji (y)

· Registered
12 Posts
I replaced the junky, OEM Hankook tires a couple weeks back with a set of Michelin Defenders and would wholeheartedly recommend anyone with a newer CR-V and the original stock tires from the dealership do the same. I'd say with the Michelins, the CR-V rides like it was meant to. It soaks up bumps better so the ride quality is improved, there's less road noise audible in the cabin when you're driving on the highway, and even the steering feels more fluid. If you can afford the ~$900 hit to the checking account, it is well worth it!

· Premium Member
9,577 Posts
I replaced the junky, OEM Hankook tires a couple weeks back with a set of Michelin Defenders and would wholeheartedly recommend anyone with a newer CR-V and the original stock tires from the dealership do the same. I'd say with the Michelins, the CR-V rides like it was meant to. It soaks up bumps better so the ride quality is improved, there's less road noise audible in the cabin when you're driving on the highway, and even the steering feels more fluid. If you can afford the ~$900 hit to the checking account, it is well worth it!
Yeah.. a lot of owners seem to want to look for low cost tires at replacement time. But I am with you on this one... spend the money to get top tier tires, and in particular ones confirmed to be great on CRVs. Good tires is absolutely the best maintenance money you can spend on your vehicle in my view.

I typically go with Defenders too.. but when the time comes, I will also look into some of the newer Michelins.. like the Cross Climate series. Since I literally only buy new tires every 4-5 years... I always check out and research what is new... but I will definitely stick with the Michelin brand.

Now.. on my wife's Accord... which came with Hankook Kinergys too.... it is actually a beautiful and excellent handling tire in a Sedan tire size. Low noise, high performance handling, and great treadwear (6/32 tread on all 4 tires at 24K miles). It just does not appear to scale up as well on SUV sized tires. That said.. I just saw a brand new Hyundai Santa Fe with Hankooks on it.. so it appears Hankook is continuing to proliferate with car manufacturers... probably because they are very aggressively priced (about half the cost of Michelins on my wife's Accord when I had to have a road hazard replaced.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.