Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

181 - 192 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
But I do read many forums that most of 2017 crv have the same problem.
The correct term here would be "some" not "most".

Context is important.

There are well over a million in the field for this powertrain, just for CRVs, not counting Civics and Accords as well. So all in, there are several million of this particular power train from Honda in the field now. There are a few hundred reported issues as described in this thread on the internet. Even in you multiply the internet reports (some of which are redundant and from the same owner by the way) by a factor of 10 to account for an estimate of under reporting... you still have a few thousand out of several million.

There are always some defects in vehicles... even the best of the best from a reliability perspective. And it certainly sucks when an owner is the recipient of one that has defects in it.... but this is a fact of life with any brand of vehicle, particularly in this high tech modern era.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Lane Keeping Assist Problem:
View attachment 79473

Adaptive Cruise Control Problem:
View attachment 79481

Hill Start Assist Problem:
View attachment 79489

Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) Problem:
View attachment 79497

Anti-Lock Brake System Problem:
View attachment 79505

Power Steering System (EPS) Problem:
View attachment 79513
[/QUO
Today I was driving my 2017 EX on the highway when the transmission started feeling strange. It was stepping down, then back to normal consistently even if I didn't change the pressure I had on the accelerator. Then all of a sudden many systems started reporting problems on my dashboard, all at the same time. Reported problems were:

• Brake System Problem
  • All Wheel Drive System Problem
  • Tire Pressure Monitor Problem
  • Electric Parking Brake Problem
  • Road Departure Mitigation System Problem
  • Collision Mitigation System Problem
  • Lane Keeping Assist Problem
  • Adaptive Cruise Control Problem
  • Hill Start Assist Problem
  • Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) Problem
  • Anti-Lock Brake System Problem
  • Power Steering System (EPS) Problem
See attachments at the end of this, and a second post.

It goes without saying that we are very concerned as these are all safety systems that just started failing all of a sudden while driving. I stopped the car, turned it off, then back on, and all messages were still there. I turned it back off, walked away since we arrived where we were heading, had lunch, went back to the car, and this time, all error messages were gone. I called the dealership, but they said that since there was no errors anymore, they may not be able to diagnose it; then asked me that next time I should drive it straight to the dealership while the problem messages were still on.

Has anyone else experienced any issues with these many electrical systems at once? We drove for about an hour and a half after all error messages were gone, and they did not turn back on, but my wife is already saying she doesn't feel safe in the car and that she would freak out if she was driving alone and all those alerts and alert sounds started coming up all of a sudden.

I still plan to take it to the dealership in case the car has all the codes stored or something, but any suggestions are appreciated.

Problem reports on screen:

Brake System Problem:
View attachment 79417

All Wheel Drive System Problem:
View attachment 79425

Tire Pressure Monitor Problem:
View attachment 79433

Electric Parking Brake Problem:
View attachment 79441

Road Departure Mitigation System Problem:
View attachment 79449

Collision Mitigation System Problem:
View attachment 79457

See 2nd post

See 2nd post

See 2nd post

See 2nd post

See 2nd post

See 2nd post
When I had this happen the dealership said the satellite sensor thing on the outside of the windshield where the rear view mirror attached had gotten out of alignment, just had to take it in to be adjusted and it never happened again, except for once in the winter when it was covered in snow and I had not totally cleared the windshield.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for your response. I contacted Honda America customer service. They are saying there is no recall for this issue and also it is out of warranty since the mileage now is 53k. I purchased from other brand dealer (Not the honda dealer). But I do read many forums that most of 2017 crv have the same problem. I don't know why Honda is not taking care of this. First of all I don't know why the dealer sold this car to me with this problem. Seems this problem had been there before I purchase the car.. maybe the problem lights would have been disappeared when I had test drive. (Usually it goes on and off).
It really stinks to have this problem, so sorry they sold you the car that way, especially since Honda CR V's are supposed to be some of the best cars with the most reliability. Maybe Honda will come up with a recall and fix if people keep complaining. Dealers aren't really the most trustworthy when it comes to car advice or maintenance, since you're out of warranty I suggest going to a local mechanic you can trust. Ask around your town where people take their cars and who is a trusted mechanic, someone local, mine's down the street from where I live. I'm planning to take my CR V to my local mechanic, I trust him, he used to take car of my old '04 civic. I suggest if you can find a local trustworthy mechanic to take a look at the engine and see if there is any major damage or if they recommend selling the car at this point. Also, I came across this video from a great youtube mechanic:
His suggestion is to make sure your mechanic uses full synthetic oil when you get the oil changed and get the oil changed every 5,000 miles. I'm used to getting my oil changed a lot, my dad taught me to get the oil changed once every season. Best of luck! Let's cross our fingers and hope Honda recalls the engine or at least comes up with something better than a bogus software update.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
It really stinks to have this problem, so sorry they sold you the car that way, especially since Honda CR V's are supposed to be some of the best cars with the most reliability. Maybe Honda will come up with a recall and fix if people keep complaining. Dealers aren't really the most trustworthy when it comes to car advice or maintenance, since you're out of warranty I suggest going to a local mechanic you can trust. Ask around your town where people take their cars and who is a trusted mechanic, someone local, mine's down the street from where I live. I'm planning to take my CR V to my local mechanic, I trust him, he used to take car of my old '04 civic. I suggest if you can find a local trustworthy mechanic to take a look at the engine and see if there is any major damage or if they recommend selling the car at this point. Also, I came across this video from a great youtube mechanic:
His suggestion is to make sure your mechanic uses full synthetic oil when you get the oil changed and get the oil changed every 5,000 miles. I'm used to getting my oil changed a lot, my dad taught me to get the oil changed once every season. Best of luck! Let's cross our fingers and hope Honda recalls the engine or at least comes up with something better than a bogus software update.
I know you are frustrated.... but you are chasing a red herring with that video you linked.

1) 0W20 oil, which is what is specified for your engine... IS synthetic oil. There is no non-synthetic 0W20.

2) The video you linked is NOT a gen5 1.5T engine. So his entire tirade is full of misinformation when he brings up the China recalls (which were 1.5Ts, and were fixed with a software update). He also goes on a rant about how DI causes carbon build up... yet admits he has seen no such carbon build up in Honda engines. o_O

3) ALL GDI engines dilute oil with fuel, regardless of manufacturer. What matters is if the engine design is capable of managing it through normal purging of fuel from the oil. For the 1.5T engine, the PCV system is very robust and capable of purging fuel from the oil as part of it's normal operation, when all aspects of the engine are operating normally. In fact, the PCV system is so good.. that even avid Civic owners who typically use catch cans on their oil have discovered there is almost no residue of any kind, maybe a thimbal full, at oil change in the catch can and have concluded the PCV system is extremely good on this engine. This is all I am going to say about oil dilution as there is a devoted thread on the topic that the moderators have asked all discussion along those lines to be conducted. https://www.crvownersclub.com/threads/oil-dilution-and-associated-matters-_-volume-1.195127/

4) I know you think if enough people file complaints with the NHTSA it will force Honda to act. Yet.. after more then 3 years and a million CRVs on the road.. the filed number of complaints is actually quit small about the issue that spawned this topic way back when, and there are NO open investigations by NHTSA on the gen5 crv.

Are there some defective engines among the more then a million in the field in CRVs? Yep. Then again.. every brand and model in the field has some defective engines... so this in and of itself is nothing notable. Has Honda responded to cases of defective engines through specific diagnosis and repair on defective engines? Yes... and in some cases where they see repeat issues, they have issued one or more TSBs to address concerns. And Honda has a team of support engineers available to dealers to help isolate more problematic issues that elude normal diagnosis. By the way.. the 1.5T engine is about 3 million plus in the field now, between CRV, Civic, and Accords.

I agree with you that when there is a fault in a vehicle and it does not fault consistently and in a manner that triggers error codes that dealers can read, or does not fault in front of the dealer mechanics... it can be troublesome to isolate and correct. Intermittant problems can be some of the most frustrating for everyone to find and deal with. But your dealer is still the best choice for resolution as they have direct access to Honda support engineers to help troubleshoot and isolate an issue... whereas your local independent Honda mechanic does not. So.. in the end.. it is your choice to go with an independent mechanic, but I encourage you to think it through because these more difficult problems to isolate often do require active engagement with Honda support engineers in this modern era of complex vehicles.

I get that you are looking for support on the internet for the significant issues you are having with your CRV... but you really need to be more objective in what you accept on the internet as fact. There are plenty of facts out there, but there is also plenty of fiction and opinion being presented as fact as well.

Good luck with resolution of your issue... but I encourage you to stay objective and not go down any internet rabbit holes you come across in the process. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same problem reported here on my 2017 CRV EX-L AWD for the last few weeks. On the highway, suddenly I lose power steering and various vehicle system problem messages show up. Vehicle stability, adaptive cruise control, collision mitigation, road departure mitigation, electrical parking brake, emissions system, brake system, brake hold, power steering, hill start assist, tire pressure monitor problem, power steering system problem. I towed the vehicle to the dealer thrice already. The first two times, they just reset some codes and gave it back to me, not really fixing the issue. It is with the dealer for the third time now, and they are saying they will replace rack-and-pinion. Yet to see whether that fixes the issue. My car is within the 3-year warranty, but I am losing confidence in this vehicle. Suddenly losing power steering on the highway is scary, though it hasn't caused any accident so far. Not sure what I should do. They have sent me an email on "Xchange: Dealer Trade Up Program." Not sure what that is and whether I should take that. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I am having the same problem reported here on my 2017 CRV EX-L AWD for the last few weeks. On the highway, suddenly I lose power steering and various vehicle system problem messages show up. Vehicle stability, adaptive cruise control, collision mitigation, road departure mitigation, electrical parking brake, emissions system, brake system, brake hold, power steering, hill start assist, tire pressure monitor problem, power steering system problem. I towed the vehicle to the dealer thrice already. The first two times, they just reset some codes and gave it back to me, not really fixing the issue. It is with the dealer for the third time now, and they are saying they will replace rack-and-pinion. Yet to see whether that fixes the issue. My car is within the 3-year warranty, but I am losing confidence in this vehicle. Suddenly losing power steering on the highway is scary, though it hasn't caused any accident so far. Not sure what I should do. They have sent me an email on "Xchange: Dealer Trade Up Program." Not sure what that is and whether I should take that. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.
Dealer trade up programs are almost never worth it from a cost pov. Also, since this issue started before the warranty ended and you have documentation, it's not like they will stop trying to fix it when you hit the warranty limits, unless the dealer is scammy, at which point I would just get Honda corporate involved. If I were in your situation, I would give them a little while longer to see if they found the root cause before reaching the point that I no longer trusted the vehicle, but that's just me, you are the only one that can judge your comfort of driving it given the issues.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had the same vehicle system problem messages show up and power loss little bit couple months ago while 300 miles away from home. Santa Barbara dealer clear the code and replace the shift knob while I were there at 3:00pm on saturday. I drove another 300 miles through Los Angles then back the next day passed Santa Barbara 10 miles then it happened again. I drove anther 300 miles to get home since it Sunday night and everything closed.I did made it home and next day to Honda dealer. My 17 CR-V touring AWD (60K miles +) has a warranty extension from Honda to 6 years with unlimited mileage . Fixed a recall for software update for oil dilution ( Replace AC Control Unit) and CPU assembly. Everything ok since until yesterday system could not find my key fob even it was right there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here is the link to the Video of what was on my dash when I lost power going over 65mpy on the highway. This is after I coasted to the shoulder of the Highway:
My 2017 Honda CRV has done the same as this twice now with the exception of losing power.

Initially in September of this year. My vehicle was dead and some warning lights regarding the break system were flashing in the dash. I jumped my car and took it to the dealership the following day where they advised me I needed a new battery which I reluctantly paid $165 for even though I argued I had never had to replace a battery in a car I'd owned and this one was less than 2 years old.

A month after having the battery replaced my dash lit up like a Christmas tree with every warning light on the panel. The vehicle, otherwise, operated without fault. I immediately took the vehiclw to the dealers service department where they kept it for several hours until I was advised it simply needed a software update.

Less than a month following the software update, my XM radio will not work and the brightness setting on my display comes on and off and adjusts itself out of nowhere. Then just a month after the software update, I get the same warning lights flashing all over my dash. Car was dropped off at dealers service department today and will wait to hear what they have to say tomorrow. Vehicle has just over 50,000 miles on it at this time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the exact same issue today. My Honda CRV EX is only 1 week old and has 425 miles on it. This morning on the way tot work I was on Rt 80 in PA traveling at 67mph with the cruise control on.

I felt the cars transmission start to slip and then it lost power and all of the car electrical and system warnings lit up on my dashboard. I was not able to accelerate. The car let me bring it to the shoulder with the engine running but I could not accelerate. I will post a video of the warnings that scrolled across my screen.

After I was able to get safety to the shoulder of the highway, i turned off the car. When I started it back up, the warning lights were still on, but i was able to drive the car to the dealer (Motor World Honda, Wilkes Barre PA)

I am in the service dept waiting area as I write this. I will post an update after the dealer diagnoses the issue and after I have 5 posts so the forum will let me post it

·
Registered
14 Posts
Have you checked the battery? Multiple unrelated problems occurring simultaneously on the 5th Gen can be due to low voltage.

I agree 100%. Some advice from a old retired mechanic, get you one of these little plug in volt meters. Stick it in you 12volt outlet and hit that start button now and then with your foot off the brake pedal and see how that battery is doing. There is nothing in our CRVs that tells us anything on battery condition. You can go by the battery capacity per voltage to see how happy your battery is.
I have a 17 EXL and haven’t had the problems listed here, but my original battery never showed more than 12.4 new and ran at about 12.2 all last summer, doing this check with the engine off, after setting over night. That’s not great but finally got down to 11.9 this past Nov. Thats my personal limit for a battery and replaced it with a WalMart Ever Start. $118 and I’m good for another two years I hope.
Using this voltmeter you can watch this variable rate CRV charging system and you are going to be surprised at what Honda has engineered into these cars. Batteries don’t like to stay at 60%-70% capacity and that’s what this car does. I’ve seen 12.2 volts going down the interstate and only get back to 14.3 volts when the throttle is off and on a coast. It will go to 14,3 every time you turn the headlights on and stay there until the lights are turned off.
Really a strange charging system that’s going to be really hard on batteries. This low battery/charging rate may be a big part of the OD puzzle also.
You can see in the picture mine is at 12.6 and that’s great and where it should be, but I had charged the battery the night before. I don’t think you’ll ever see that much battery capacity in your CRV with the engine off, after setting for a hour or overnight. From what I’ve seen on mine the past two years is 12.2- 12.4 and that’s not great.
If you want to see if you have something draining the battery over night, just check the voltage about a hour after parking and then check it the next morning. Waiting a hour or so let’s the surface charge off the battery, if there is any.
6B8508F6-2012-4E1C-BB0C-5D426F15E693.jpeg
E5DB505C-F185-4540-80E6-7916218AE9EB.png

·
Registered
1 Posts
Today I was driving my 2017 EX on the highway when the transmission started feeling strange. It was stepping down, then back to normal consistently even if I didn't change the pressure I had on the accelerator. Then all of a sudden many systems started reporting problems on my dashboard, all at the same time. Reported problems were:

• Brake System Problem
  • All Wheel Drive System Problem
  • Tire Pressure Monitor Problem
  • Electric Parking Brake Problem
  • Road Departure Mitigation System Problem
  • Collision Mitigation System Problem
  • Lane Keeping Assist Problem
  • Adaptive Cruise Control Problem
  • Hill Start Assist Problem
  • Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) Problem
  • Anti-Lock Brake System Problem
  • Power Steering System (EPS) Problem
See attachments at the end of this, and a second post.

It goes without saying that we are very concerned as these are all safety systems that just started failing all of a sudden while driving. I stopped the car, turned it off, then back on, and all messages were still there. I turned it back off, walked away since we arrived where we were heading, had lunch, went back to the car, and this time, all error messages were gone. I called the dealership, but they said that since there was no errors anymore, they may not be able to diagnose it; then asked me that next time I should drive it straight to the dealership while the problem messages were still on.

Has anyone else experienced any issues with these many electrical systems at once? We drove for about an hour and a half after all error messages were gone, and they did not turn back on, but my wife is already saying she doesn't feel safe in the car and that she would freak out if she was driving alone and all those alerts and alert sounds started coming up all of a sudden.

I still plan to take it to the dealership in case the car has all the codes stored or something, but any suggestions are appreciated.

Problem reports on screen:

Brake System Problem:
View attachment 79417

All Wheel Drive System Problem:
View attachment 79425

Tire Pressure Monitor Problem:
View attachment 79433

Electric Parking Brake Problem:
View attachment 79441

Road Departure Mitigation System Problem:
View attachment 79449

Collision Mitigation System Problem:
View attachment 79457

See 2nd post

See 2nd post

See 2nd post

See 2nd post

See 2nd post

See 2nd post
hi. i had same thing happen while driving in snowy conditions the slippery icon was on while going up a hill in icy conditions. everything alarmed then rebooted after a couple of restarts.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My 2017 Honda CRV has done the same as this twice now with the exception of losing power.

Initially in September of this year. My vehicle was dead and some warning lights regarding the break system were flashing in the dash. I jumped my car and took it to the dealership the following day where they advised me I needed a new battery which I reluctantly paid $165 for even though I argued I had never had to replace a battery in a car I'd owned and this one was less than 2 years old.

A month after having the battery replaced my dash lit up like a Christmas tree with every warning light on the panel. The vehicle, otherwise, operated without fault. I immediately took the vehiclw to the dealers service department where they kept it for several hours until I was advised it simply needed a software update.

Less than a month following the software update, my XM radio will not work and the brightness setting on my display comes on and off and adjusts itself out of nowhere. Then just a month after the software update, I get the same warning lights flashing all over my dash. Car was dropped off at dealers service department today and will wait to hear what they have to say tomorrow. Vehicle has just over 50,000 miles on it at this time.
Any update as to what was found?

181 - 192 of 192 Posts