Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 72 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
In those 15,000 miles have you rotated them? Proper air pressure?
Mine is at 17,000 miles with the bridgestones and 7/32 tread and look /feel brand new and i'm on my 4th rotation and check my pressure monthly even with Nitrofill
30,000 miles is all you can expect to get from the OEM tires. When they test for gas mileage ratings they have to use the tires that are sold on the car, so Honda uses a softer tire to increase the mileage rating. I got this info from the dealer that sold me my 2004 and 2011 C-RV's. If you bought the same tired from a tire dealer, you would get full tread-life tires, but the ones they sell to Honda are not their standard tires

· Registered
133 Posts
I have a 2018 CR-V EX with almost 15,000 miles on it. It has Bridgestone tires on it and they already show considerable wear. I have friends who have 2017 CR-Vs and they had to replace the tires at 30,000 and they don't do any crazy driving. I had Honda Accords for years before I got the CR-V and I would get around 55,000 miles from a set of tires. They were Michelin MXV4+ on the Accords,
but I thought that Bridgestone was a good brand. I took it to a local tire place, and they are a trustworthy business. The owner said that it seems to be a problem with the later model CR-Vs. He said other brands of SUVs don't have that problem and get normal wear on their tires. Does anyone with a 2017 or newer CR-V not have this problem with tires wearing out? I live in New England.
**I have a 2017 CRV EX-L with NAV and my original tires (don't recall brand) were replaced at about 50--55.000 miles and that was a little bit early since I had a damaged tire & decided to replace all 4 at the same time. I have regular Honda maintenance & tire rotation & live in Texas/ Austin & Houston.

Assuming you have not done something to cause wear, it sounds as if something is not right and you might want to have a mechanic, not just a tire place, check it out.

· Registered
18 Posts
I have a 2018 CR-V EX with almost 15,000 miles on it. It has Bridgestone tires on it and they already show considerable wear. I have friends who have 2017 CR-Vs and they had to replace the tires at 30,000 and they don't do any crazy driving. I had Honda Accords for years before I got the CR-V and I would get around 55,000 miles from a set of tires. They were Michelin MXV4+ on the Accords,
but I thought that Bridgestone was a good brand. I took it to a local tire place, and they are a trustworthy business. The owner said that it seems to be a problem with the later model CR-Vs. He said other brands of SUVs don't have that problem and get normal wear on their tires. Does anyone with a 2017 or newer CR-V not have this problem with tires wearing out? I live in New England.
I have 196,000 on my 2006 Pilot it has had 3 sets of tires, on the 3rd set now for about 8 months and has had only 2 sets of brakes but 2 timing belts.

· Registered
319 Posts
I have a pair of 2015 tourings on their original tires, doing fine. One of them is at 55,000 miles, the other about 25,000 miles. I suspect i'll be replacing them at 60-65k. We do rotate them regularly. A lot of it probably has to do with driving conditions, road conditions, how fast corners are taken, etc.

· Registered
5 Posts
We replaced the Ecopias on our '17 AWD at about 25,000 miles. They had about 4/32"s all around. We could have gotten them to 30,000, but this was in early December so I wanted to start the winter off correctly. I'm not sure how well they were rotated before we got the car at 14,000 miles, but we rotate them with every oil change (~3,000 miles due to the dilution threat).

I've had bad experiences across the board with Bridgestones. I had them on my 2016 Camry; they wore out after 30,000mi and were loud as heck compared to other tires. I drove that car like an old grandpa too.

We put on a set of Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S Pluses, which have so far been fine. Time and mileage will tell if the noise level holds up, but so far the difference in cabin noise in the CRV between the two tire models is night and day.

· Registered
139 Posts
Interesting. My 2018 Touring has Hankooks. I recently had the tires rotated at 7,500 miles and they gave me the green check box on the report page they handed me after the inspection. All 4 tires look brand new all the way around. There is no outer wear on any of them. Maybe you're hard on your tires. I do not take any turns or curves at excessive speeds, I check the tire pressure every two weeks. The pressure stays consistently at 36 psi. In the almost one year I have owned the car, I have not had to add air to any of the tires. Maybe the Hankooks are a better quality tire? I do know that my preference for any tire would be Michelin tires. I had those on my previous Accords and I loved them. They lasted up to 58,000 miles and were quiet and really gripped the road. We'll see how far these Hankooks go.

· Registered
169 Posts
My OEM Hankooks had 30,000 on them when I had an unrepairable sidewall puncture but they still had plenty of tread left and I think they would have easily gone 40K+. They were rotated regularly. Took the puncture as an opportunity to install the Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S Pluses which is the newer version of the ones I had on my RDX. Very pleased with them on both the RDX and CR-V

· Premium Member
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
9,577 Posts
When they test for gas mileage ratings they have to use the tires that are sold on the car, so Honda uses a softer tire to increase the mileage rating.
A softer tire does not necessarily improve fuel economy. In fact the exact opposite is often true.

It is ALL about rolling resistance, and often a firmer tire will provide less rolling resistance, as will modest over inflation... but of course other driving factors in a tire can be negatively impacted (such as noise). Tire companies are innovating in this area with new rubber compounds for their tires and are actively marketing tires now days for improved fuel economy. But these are expensive tires generally, so unlikley you would see them as OEMs on a new car.

Tires affect vehicle fuel efficiency primarily through rolling resistance. Rolling resistance is defined as the measure of “force at the axle in the direction of travel required to make a loaded tire roll,” according to a report by the National Research Council (NRC). “As a tire rolls under the vehicle’s weight, its shape changes repeatedly as it experiences recurring cycles of deformation and recovery. In the process, mechanical energy otherwise available to turn the wheels is converted into heat and dissipated from the tire. More fuel must be expended to replace this lost energy. Combinations of differences in tire dimensions, design, materials, and construction features will cause tires to differ in rolling resistance as well as in many other attributes such as traction, handling, noise, wear resistance, and appearance. Once they are placed in service, tires must be properly maintained to perform as intended with respect to all attributes. The maintenance of proper inflation pressure is especially important.” - source: https://www.dunntire.com/blog/How-do-tires-affect-gas-mileage

· Read Only
186 Posts
It could be worse. In a Motor Trend comparison between a Toyota Supra Launch Edition, BMW M2 Competition, Porsche 718 Cayman and a Ford Mustang Shelby GT350, it commented on the tires on the Mustang that "If you're nice to them, those pricey track tires will last 10,000 miles. A replacement set runs $1,742." The tires are Michelan Pilot Sport Cup 2 F: 295/35ZR-19 (104YU) and R: 305/30ZR-19 (106Y).

· Registered
584 Posts
It could be worse. In a Motor Trend comparison between a Toyota Supra Launch Edition, BMW M2 Competition, Porsche 718 Cayman and a Ford Mustang Shelby GT350, it commented on the tires on the Mustang that "If you're nice to them, those pricey track tires will last 10,000 miles. A replacement set runs $1,742." The tires are Michelan Pilot Sport Cup 2 F: 295/35ZR-19 (104YU) and R: 305/30ZR-19 (106Y).
Lol
Those sticky soft tires that give great cornering traction also wear about as fast as your average pencil eraser!

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

· Registered
6 Posts
I don't have any CRV experience yet since the 19 EX-L is only a couple months old.
I had a 2007 Odyssey with OEM Michelin Energy EXL's and they lasted 5 years at 74,000 Miles and I replaced them with Michelin Defenders which were at 36,000 Miles and 50% useable tread remaining when I traded for an 18 Odyssey.
I bought the Defenders to increase the fuel economy, but I believe they were slightly less efficient and with higher levels of SiO2 in the rubber, slightly harder sidewalls and harsher ride.
Both vehicles use snow tires from Nov - May
Now I have 2 vehicles with Bridgestone OEM summer tires so don't know how long they will last ??

· Registered
17 Posts
Same experience here: 20,000 miles on my 2018 and the factory tires were worn to the wear bars and had to be replaced. I know OEM tires are frequently garbage, but these are lower down on the hierarchy of garbage than most.
What with this and the gasoline-in-oil mess (garage smells like I have a leaky old lawnmower in there,) my CR-V has been an absolute delight.

· Registered
548 Posts
What is the best deal at discount tires that are less road noise? Here is a few notes I have taken.

Michellin are quiet tires
Pirelli Scorpion Strada ($176)
Michelin Defenders , Michelin Defender T+H (192.99)
Michelin Premier LTX tires Michelin Premier A/S $200. per tire

Michelin Premier LTX tires installed on my 2018 Touring AWD. Road noise after replacing Hankook Kinergy tires is significantly reduced and ride is generally much smoother.

Hankook tires are the worst tires made on Earth
Pirelli Scorpion A/S's in 255/55 R18. They are incredibly loud,
Pirelli Scorpion Verdes, Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S ($123/tire), Pirelli Scorpion A/S's in 255/55 R18. They are incredibly loud,

· Registered
2,311 Posts
I like tirerack.com because I can check for tires that are in the size I want, and then read reviews and feedback from actual owners of the tires.
For my 2014 their current highest rated tires were:

BF Goodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT - US $140/tire
Michelin Crossclimate SUV - US $179/tire

I'm leaning towards the BFGs.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.